Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter Memories

    
    The star of our Easter table this year is the centerpiece. This holiday is bittersweet at our house. Last Easter I was in Florida having a steak from Outback Steakhouse, in styrofoam, on the patio at the rehab center with my parents. We knew at that point that my mom had cancer, but she was happily eating her meal and looking forward to going home and starting chemo. A few weeks later she was gone. My mother-in-law was having Easter with my husband's sister and her family here in Illinois. The flowers are from a larger bouquet that we had at the memorial service for my mother-in-law on Monday. When I look at the beauty in the flowers, I will remember the beautiful women who are still very much with us in spirit this year.


     I made my arrangement in the vintage blue vase that some of you may remember from other tablescapes. It is one of a pair, my sister and I each have one. They were a wedding gift to our parents in the 40's. I loved the soft blue with the pale blue stemware and the pastels in the egg shaped placemats.




     The table is casual this year. I have it set for 6, but there will only be 3 of us. My daughter is coming home for Mother's Day this year and working on Easter. I haven't decided if I will cook, or if we will go out to eat. Cooking for 3 isn't all that fun.


 

     The dinner plates I've had for years. They are Crate and Barrel. The petal shaped salad plates are Walmart...plastic.


     Pastel plaid napkins add to the softness of the table and are a resting place for Wm Rogers and Son silverplate flatware that I've used on many tables.




     I filled a Lenox compote and a silver one with eggs in shades of blue-green. My moss rabbit seems to be trying to get to the huge foil wrapped eggs.


     Vintage Easter postcards are a conversation piece on the table.


     Candlelight brings a soft glow to the table.

 


 

     I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
for Tablescape Thursday


     Please take time to visit her this week.
I'm certain the tables will be beautiful.

19 comments:

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Sue..
What a lovely and as you say.. bittersweet post.. I like that the table is set for 6... places for those that I am sure are still with you in your heart and spirit... The holidays can be a tough time after a loss.. In fact Easter always brings back sad memories for me.. and good ones too.. so I think I will celebrate the good ones this year...

Beautiful table for beautiful memories.. Have a lovely easter my friend.. ciao xxx Julie

Ricki Treleaven said...

Everything is so pretty!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sue, I am thinking of you this Easter. Life has been a bumpy road for you! But the Author of Easter knows, and I pray that He holds you in His loving nail scarred hands.
With love and prayers,
Yvonne

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

I am So Sorry for your pain! I am sure your Mom and Mom-in-Law are having tea together and smelling sweet flowers in Heaven and sending you down kisses and love!!!
Your table is So Beautiful...
Love and Hugs to you,
Donna

xinex said...

Oh how pretty, Sue! I love the yellow and the blue together. Your flowers are gorgeous!.....Christinr

Blondie's Journal said...

I know this Easter will be hard as well as the holidays to come. It's best to remember the good memories and hold our families tighter.

Your table is pretty. The flowers are gorgeous. Even if it is just 3 of you, you are doing it in style!

I will be thinking of you.

XO,
Jane

Miss Char said...

Holidays are always a time of reflection of those who have gone on before us. Your table set for six is a wonderful memory of your mama and your MIL. Thanks for sharing.

Lynn said...

A very pretty setting Sue, wishing you a Happy Easter:@)

Barbara F. said...

Lovely table, Sue. The pastel eggs are so pretty. I like the little green moss bunny. xo,

Shellbelle said...

Both your mom and you mil live on in your lovely memories of them both.

Your floral arrangement is exquisite and made only more beautiful by your parent's vase.

Hugs

Glenda/MidSouth said...

The flowers are so pretty, and its nice that you can still enjoy them on your pretty Easter table. Happy Easter!

Donnie said...

Eventually the sad memories will be replaced with the happier ones. Your post was beautiful.

koralee said...

So lovely!!!! Your flowers are delightful in everyway. Try to hold onto the good memories my friend. xoxoxo Hugs

Sharon Haynie said...

Beautiful table with beautiful memories. The flowers a lovely, and I agree, 3 is hard to cook for! Thanks for sharing!

Luncheons at the Junction said...

What a beautiful tribute. Wishing you a blessed Easter.

Tess said...

Such a lovely table. Enjoy your good memories of the lovely ladies that were such an important part of your life...they will be with you forever.

Have a Happy Easter!

Monica H said...

Such a soft and sweet tablescape with a special centerpiece.

I hop eyou have a peaceful Easter.

Shel said...

Wishing you peace this Easter...your tablescape is a beautiful memory to them.
Blessings
Shel

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a beautiful Easter table. Love those flowers.