Monday, April 11, 2011

Small Changes


     My Met Monday post isn't very interesting this week, although we did get quite a bit done.  We were supposed to leave on Saturday for Asheville, but we cancelled the trip because of my mother-in-law's health. Thank you to those who have sent messages and prayers. We were there on Saturday and she squeezed our hands and opened her eyes a little. She is still hanging on but we hope it isn't much longer. This is no life for her. Our prayer now is that she stay free from pain and fear. Yesterday, we put a fresh face on our hardwood floor. I didn't take a before picture, but between the little grandson's cars and all the furniture moving we have done lately, it needed a bit of a facelift. We used a glossy finish this time instead of the usual semi-gloss. I think we will be sorry very quickly as the glossy finish tends to show everything. It looks pretty today though. My husband also worked on the finishing touches of the bar in the kitchen (the pieces aren't up yet, but are stained).


     Our other major project was removing the above storm door, and replacing it. We have been getting rid of all the brass in the house and this door had a brass handle and trim.


     The new door has brushed nickel. This wasn't an easy project, I thought it would be. It took my husband several hours and finally both of us to put in the trim pieces that hold the glass in. The problem was with the instructions...they really didn't tell us much. I found a video online and then it was much easier. I now notice the brass hinges on the front door, hmm...another project?


Now, it matches this...


     ...and these. Once you start one of these mini-projects, it keeps expanding into the next project. We still hope to change the sliding patio door. We have always planned on putting in French Doors, but I'm not sure we have the room to swing the door open without hitting the table. The one thing I want to get rid of is the blind at the door, so if we replace it with another slider it will be more energy efficient and have built in blinds inside the glass. I do think that doing the little touches to keep your home up to date (or at least in the right decade) can not only make you happy to be there, it helps if you ever decide to sell your home.



I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday
Please take time to stop and say hello to our hostess!

14 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The floors look fabulous and the new door is wonderful also. Some of these things just don't look like you've done much, however they really do make a huge impact on the total look of your home. Well done. I will continue to pray for your MIL. God Bless. Hugs, Marty

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds like you have got a lot done. Floor looks so pretty. I want my slider replaced with french doors, but I don't have room for the door to open in either. Some of my neighbors have done this and it looks so nice.

Barbara F. said...

Your floors look great Sue. The whole great room looks wonderful. xo,

dee dee said...

Sue,
It's Monday so I get the chance to catch up for the week and my heart is heavy and goes out to both you and your dear hubby. My prayers are with all of you.
In regards to your poke-a-dotted tablescape, what a fun and cheery setting! I love the different color blues mixed in with the white and pops of color! I can't wait to try your spinach and goat cheese salad, now that is a salad totally up my ally! Your home is looking so fantastic! We currently have the brushed nickle fixtures in our home and have been trying to decided between brushed nickle and oiled rubbed bronze for the new place. I was shocked to see the Old unpolished brass knobs(think 70's) are begining to make their way back into the market. For our hindges in our basement I used a rub on paste to change them from brass to nickle. I'll try to remember to get you that information. Sending you hugs and lifting you up in prayer...dee dee

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sounds like you are getting some things done that will add that extra spit and polish to your house which is a nice perk.

I'm thinking of you every step of the way, Sue, and I hope that she doesn't suffer as well. I have been there with someone I loved dearly, and the stress of uncertainty is tremendous. Please take care of YOU!

XO,

Sheila

Unknown said...

Our prayers to you and your family. We hope your mother-in-law will not suffer too much longer. She's holding on because of her family.
You have been very busy, and your home shows it! The floor is beautiful. Thanks for giving us a chance to see your improvements. Luv-Loretta

Pondside said...

Continued prayer for your MIL and your family.
Your house is looking pretty spiffy! I know what you mean about the little projects - they add up!

Blondie's Journal said...

Your floors and new door look great, Sue! I know doors are troublesome to put on, my husband has always struggled with them, but it may just be our old house, everything is cursed.

Praying for your MIL.

XO,
Jane

Shellbelle said...

The floor looks FABULOUS!

Projects are a great way to keep your mind busy and just look at all you're getting accomplished! I would just be happy if I had time to clean this one, lol.

HUgs

Patrice said...

Great job on the floors!

Rettabug said...

Oh my gosh...you're floors are GORGEOUS, Sue!! BRAVO to you & your DH for such a daunting task along with the door change over. It looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

Hello Sue- How are you doing? I am feeling like poo HA! since you asked. I am down to wearing the hubs sweats and t-shirts... I WANT THIS BABY OUT!!! less then 20 days now. My lower right side of my buttocks kills. Its a deep deep awful pinching like pain were my tail bone is. UGH! Anyway, blah blah... a baby is worth it. ;)

Hope all is well with you, and p.s. sometimes small changes around the home are just what they needed, and as they say less is more and it could do wonders. Take care always.

winks- jen

xinex said...

You have a beautiful home, Sue. The floor is so shiny and pretty. So sorry about your MIL, I hope she is not in pain. Will offer some prayers for her....Christine

Anonymous said...

Love the changes Sue!

Thoughts and prayers are with your mother in law and family.