Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Kitchen Redo Unveiled


     I should have taken more "before pictures". In fact, this was the only picture I could find that had my kitchen with the white appliances. Hopefully, my sister and brother-in-law won't mind me sharing her 50th birthday picture. Please note that we were having a party and the kitchen had more clutter than normal. But, at least you can see the beige Formica and white appliances that I've lived with for almost 8 years.


     We also had a low bar attached to the counter that we never liked the looks of. It was nice for placing food when we had a houseful of people, but other than that it was an eyesore.


     Our first step was actually getting stainless appliances in December. We shopped the Black Friday sales and got an excellent price for our refrigerator, which I love. I have always had side by side refrigerators and I don't miss that style one bit. We are happy with the tile floor and other than having the carpet people steam clean it when they do our carpet tomorrow, we made no changes to the flooring. As you can see, we removed the low bar and the countertop, sink and faucet. We also put a fresh coat of paint on the walls. We actually kept them the same color, we still liked it and couldn't find anything we liked more.


     This is how it looks now! Bead board on the bar, stained to match the cabinets (thank you Kim @ Savvy Southern Style for the idea of staining it rather than painting it). The countertop is now a foot wider, creating a bar area and more workspace for me. We found the bar stools yesterday at Sam's. We still need to pick out tile for the backsplash and add some baseboard to the bar and some under the counter lighting.




     The undermount sink is deeper than my old one. I stuck with a stainless sink because they don't stain. The faucet has been replaced. I agonized over this decision. I was torn between wanting a very tall faucet, or one that was just slightly curved. I didn't want the pull out sprayer...just my personal preference. So, we opted for one that was somewhere in the middle.


     We talked about putting wooden shutters or blinds at the window, but decided that I'm too messy at the sink and that I am constantly cleaning the window. So, I found a valance that was muted tones of the colors I wanted.



     It is difficult to take a picture of the granite. Ignore the reflection of light and you may be able to see that it has several colors in it. It appears almost black, but actually is a very dark green with hints of sea glass aqua, a sparkling taupe and black. The color is called Verde Butterfly. One thing I learned in this process of buying granite is that you must see the entire slab that you are buying. When you look at a small sample at a Home Depot type store, you really can't get an idea of what it will look like. We went looking for a taupe/white granite, we absolutely didn't want anything dark. When we saw how many of the taupe slabs took on a pinkish "glow" in the large slabs and when we saw all the depth of color in this piece, we completely changed our minds. I'm so glad we went to a specialty granite and marble place rather than a "big box" store.


     Some people want to have a perfect kitchen. Every inch has a vignette that matches beautifully. I like for mine to look nice, but I also use my kitchen. So, for accessories I choose things that I love. I wanted to use lots of whites, but also some 'beachy" things and a few favorite pieces. Above you see my grandmother's cookie jar, canisters with starfish my husband bought me, favorite cookbooks, a vintage Hall Pottery teapot that I've had for decades and a new TJ Maxx white tray ready for serving coffee.


     A Corian cutting board, my grandmother's crock bowl, a pottery trivet from a vacation, my crafted pineapple and favorite basket are on the other side of the stove.


The frig...love it!


Simple brushed nickel pulls to match all the stainless.


     My dad gave me this cutting board and clock for Christmas...it reminds me of my "other home" in Florida where he is and where my daughter is. The paper towel holder isn't very classy, but at least it is stainless and matches everything else!


     If I had selected the cabinets (we kept the ones that came with the house and simply added a fresh coat of varnish) I wouldn't have added these shelves. But, since they here, I filled them with new and old white pitchers. The top is the antique pitcher my mom gave me years ago, next is a teapot I've had for many years, the smaller pitcher was from TJ Maxx a few months ago and the bottom pitcher was part of my CSN purchase that I won from bj @ sweet nothings.


     A simple white bowl (TJ Maxx clearance-$7.50) full of lemons sits on the counter. The tops of the cabinets have a few vintage pieces and some newer things with a beach theme. I like the mix of old and new.
  

     I'm sure we will be "tweaking" things as we go along. We've about decided to put the bead board on the end of the counter even though we would be covering the wood that matches the cabinets. We think it might make for a more completed look. Any opinions?

     I am very pleased with the way things turned out. It really did change the look of my kitchen entirely. I had nice cabinets and the kitchen had "good bones" but the countertop had been bothering me from the minute we moved in. It just wasn't me. Now, my kitchen fits.
I am joining several parties this week.
Please take time to visit our
 hostesses and thank them for all they do.

Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday
Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday
Linda @ Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Kim @ Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Kathleen @ Faded Charm for White Wednesday






35 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Stunning kitcen, I totally loved your new look, appliances as well! We did the same a year or so ago..."A total Kitchen make Over"... I posted something like this a while back. I'm sure you're so happy cooking in it, I know the feeling, boy I still do! Gorgeous and congrats!
FABBY

Dawn said...

Lovely kitchen update. I also have black counter tops and love them. Everything looks fabulous :)

Janette - The2Seasons said...

We are ordering appliances this week for our complete kitchen/house gut job. I love the way your fridge looks.

Blondie's Journal said...

Yay! It's finally done and you must be relieved! It really looks beautiful...I love the bar and the counter tops are gorgeous! Everything was well worth what you and hubby did to get it done! Enjoy!

XO,
Jane

Jacqueline said...

It looks so good. I can't believe what the counter, bar and new sink and appliances does. I posted a kitchen makeover too but I am having trouble with the linky lately and the dumb frog picture came up! Oh well.

Enjoy, the new kitchen makes cooking so much more fun!

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful Sue! You did a wonderful job on this makeover!

Barbara F. said...

The kitchen re-do looks great. Your granite is similar in color to mine - and the dark green shows up as gray/black in photos sometimes. But in person it is a beautiful color. I love all your accent pieces. And your in-laws are a handsome couple! xo,

dee dee said...

Sue,
Love the kitchen! It is beautiful... perfect choice for the counters too! Love the contrast with the color on the cabinets! Can't wait to see what you decide for your backsplash!
Dee Dee

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

OMGoodness, your kitchen looks FABULOUS!!! I Love the granite! I just looked at a fridge that had the 2 door freezer like you have: do you like it??????? Is it easy to keep organized??? I worry about BINS and that things will just be piled on top of each other????? Are you planning on staining the beadboard if you put it on the end of the counter???? XO, Pinky

bj said...

OMGosh, Suz...this is just beautiful. It is perfect...I love your new appliances and the bead board and...well...ALL of it. Just beautiful.
I don't have anything on my counters but what I use every day. I use every inch of my kitchen, every day..
I am more than thrilled to know that you have a beautiful little white pitcher from my giveaway. That is pretty cool....
Now, if you can win this cute sign RAMSIGN is giving away on my blog, you will be doing good. :)))

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

LOVE IT,LOVE IT!!! Wow it's So Gorgeous. My favorite part is the Extra wide counter you gave yourself AND "LOVE,LOVE,LOVE" those bar stools. You must have too when you set them in place. I'm Sure you are very pleased!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us.
Hugs to you,
Donna

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
Oh my...your kitchen makeover looks outstanding...love the countertops and beadboard!

Blessings,
Linda

Pondside said...

TA-DA!!! It is lovely. You must be so happy with your finished kitchen!

xinex said...

Quite a transformation, Sue! It's gorgeous! And tha frig. is awesome! Love the 2 drawers...Christine

Ricki Treleaven said...

You did an awesome job on your kitchen re-do. I am surprised at the difference the stained beadboard makes on your island. Great idea!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

It looks wonderful Sue! The new countertop just makes everything so fresh and new. I bet your loving it so much!
Cindy

Red Couch Recipes said...

Beautiful new redo. Love the configuration of the fridge. Everything looks new and fresh! Joni

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Thanks for dropping by too and for the lovely comments! Lets keep visiting!
Have a nice week.
FABBY

laxsupermom said...

Wow! What a difference! Love the granite you chose, and love that the bar is now counter height and one continuous surface. The cabs look completely different now. Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

It is really, really beautiful! You did a wonderful job selecting everything and staining the beadboard. I think wrapping the beadboard around is a great idea.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment on our formal living room...regarding the carpet...it is a low pile textured carpet. I believe it is stainmaster and the color is sueded camel. Who knew there was such a color? lol With 4 kids we wanted something VERY durable that we would have to fuss over AND I tried to get the carpet to look as close to sisal as I could...so that is what we went with.

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I'll be back to check out your backsplash choice!

Erin said...

I saw that granite when looking for ours and it really is beautiful! It's amazing what new counters and knobs will do! The bar looks great, too!

a.r.m. said...

the new kitchen is GORGEOUS! it's crazy how much better stainless steel appliances look with your cabinetry.

The Charm of Home said...

Sue,
Your kitchen looks fabulous! I love the granite and the sink. It all turned out beautiful! Come by my blog and win a European enamel sign for your home.
Sherry

koralee said...

Wow...everything looks pretty specatular to me my friend! Enjoy! xoxo

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow! Very Pretty!! Very nice choice on the granite. I am looking forward to the day I do something to mine.
Enjoy your evening.

Anonymous said...

Your kitchen is beautiful! I like your choice of cabinet knobs. Very nice!

If you are still collecting thoughts, I vote for continuing the bead board around the end of the cabinet.
Tammy

All That Glitters said...

really pretty!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

hi dear Sue
well.. job well done!! love the under mounted sink.. much easier to clean.. it's those little details important in a kitchen.. and it all looks lovely and fresh!!!.. mind you so does your sister.. looking pretty good for 50.. what's the secret?

Have a lovely week.. and thanks so much for your kind words on my blog birthday post.. so appreciated.. I've loved getting to know you and treasure my friends in blogtopia.. ciao.. xxxx Julie

Carla said...

what a gorgeous kitchen! :)

Atticmag said...

I see a great many kitchens every week as it's one of the specialties of our blog. Yours looks fabulous! All the upgrades you did are really smart and the change out of the appliances and counters is perfect. Enjoy it! I also think your fridge choice is super. Just a great job. Thanks so much for stopping by -- I agree with you about hotels (and I'm working on the clutter, aargh). Jane F.

Patrice said...

I bought that same refrigerator back in July! The kitchen looks great!

oldgreymare said...

It all looks wonderfully fresh and new> really digging the fridge, I detest my side by side..shhh shouldn't say that too loudly - my appliances revolt when I diss 'em ..lol

xx
z

BTW terrific job you two

Gypsy Heart said...

Looks gorgeous! I love the frig and the granite especially. I recommend finishing the end of the bar with the bead board. You have a lot of space and I would find that to be heaven! Enjoy every moment you're in there ~

xo
Pat

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Just catching up on a few posts! Love how your kitchen turned out! Awesome!