Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The House Is Filled With Spring

     This week my house is bursting with spring color, both inside and out. We came home from my mother-in-law's service yesterday with our arms full of beautiful flowers. Some were sent from friends, others were pulled from the arrangements that the family had at the church. We will be having a private graveside service when my daughter is here in May, so we couldn't take the flowers to the cemetery. You will see a large bouquet on my Easter table later this week...but, I had to share this beautiful arrangement with you.


I have always loved the purple/red combination...
some florists aren't brave enough to do it!


     Our tulips burst into bloom this week. We get the bulbs in Holland, MI which is known for tulips. I like to mix up the colors. There are still a few that haven't opened. We have a hard time getting them to come back each year. This is our second year with these bulbs and we did lose a few. The wind was blowing like crazy when I was trying to take these pictures, so they aren't perfect.








I am joining Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday and
Kim @ Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays

Please join these lovely ladies and enjoy what you find on their blogs!

14 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

This is a beautiful flower arrangement...it's so nice that the money doesn't go to waste and you can enjoy them.

Do you get your bulbs IN Holland or FROM Holland? I sometimes order from Holland Bulbs, a catalog I get. I didn't realize they were so pretty! It's almost worth a special trip there!! Gorgeous flowers!

XO,
Jane

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful flowers. Sure hope your FIL is doing well thru all of this - I know it is a difficult time for all of you. (((hugs))).
Glenda

Maria said...

You are right, Sue! The colors do pop. Sometimes I'm so afraid to add a pop of color. I'm so "beige" sometimes!

I'm so glad we have daffodils and tulips to welcome spring. They are the perfect greeters!
Happy Spring to you!
*Maria
Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter *

Priscilla said...

One of the most beautiful arrangements I ever saw was one I received when I was in the hospital. Purple lilacs and lipstick red tulips. Breathtaking!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Just gorgeous Sue! I love the color combo and the tulips, oh I am jealous!
It snowed here yesterday if you can believe it.
I hate Wisconsin right now.
Hugs,
Cindy

Sophie said...

Oh Sue, I have been so consumed with everything over here that I didn't even see your last couple posts. My prayers are with you and the family. I hope your FIL is able to find some comfort in all the confusion.

As for the flowers, I always loved the look of those feathery ones, but never had any in the garden myself. We have been really lucky in that our tulips come back every year, though this weekend a herd of deer did some trimming for us just as they were popping out of the ground.

As long as they leave the daffodils alone I am fine. I love the daffodils because when I was younger, before my sister passed, she got this small card from someone that had a daffodil on it and a poem about guardian angels plucking stars whenever they saw good, and sending the star to Earth where they would bloom into a daffodil. My sister promised to be my guardian angel and leave me daffodils everywhere. I have never planted a daffodil in the yard, but they pop up in different places in the yard every year :)

Lynn said...

All of the flowers are beautiful Sue! I'm lovin' the red and purple, they really pop-enjoy:@)

Barbara F. said...

These flowers are just beautiful. I am sure Lillie would be happy that her family is enjoying their beauty afterwards. xo,

LindyLouMac said...

Still thinking of you Sue, stunning tulips and I love what you have done with the old chandelier in the last post.

Rettabug said...

Gorgeous floral arrangements, Sue!!! I grow those Siberian iris here & never even thought to pair them with red. Next time I will & I'll give you full credit, too.

You're lucky your tulips have opened up even a little. They're very pretty. Mine are still closed up tight as a drum. It is COLD & WINDY today. Naturally, its DH's golf day. :/

Linda said...

What beautiful tulips! To grow tulips here, we have to dig up the bulbs after they die back and refrigerate them...it's too much work, so I just buy the flowers and enjoy everyone's photos...thanks for sharing yours!!

Donnie said...

I'm so sorry you have this sadness in your life. Your flowers are beautiful though.

Anonymous said...

The flowers are beautiful, Sue.

Thinking of you and your family, this Easter week.

eileeninmd said...

I am sorry for your loss. Beautiful flower arrangement. All the flowers are gorgeous. It is so nice to see the spring colors.