Thursday, April 21, 2011

Teeny Takes Over My Kitchen

"All I ever wanted in life was true love, a set of copper cookware,
and the perfect recipe for red velvet cake" 

Teeny Templeton



     Teeny Templeton magically appeared in our home this week when the UPS man brought me a copy of Michael Lee West's latest book, Gone With A Handsomer Man. Thank you so much Michael! I've just started reading the book, but I already know that Teeny and I will get along just fine. She lives in Charleston, SC...one of my favorite cities. She also picked out an apple walnut salad and a wedge of brie when planning a summer evenig meal...I would chose the same things. Imagine my surprise when I found that Teeny had slipped into my kitchen, raided my recipe box and tried out my recipe for red velvet cake. Considering it is Easter week, she opted for cupcakes all decked out for the holiday. I wonder if she thinks it is the "perfect recipe"! 


Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk with 1 T. white vinegar added and allowed to sit a few minutes
2 eggs
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees


Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers.
(Teeny made 18 larger cupcakes)

     In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.


     In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.


     Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined. Pour batter into the cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake for about 20 to 22 minutes. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.


Cream Cheese Frosting:
2-8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
2 sticks butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

Beat together with mixer until creamy. Chill until ready to use. Remove from refrigerator a little while before frosting and allow to soften a little bit.

This makes enough frosting for the cupcakes with enough leftover to ice a 9x13 cake as well.





     Many of us know Michael from her blog Designs by Gollum and our weekly Foodie Friday parties. She is also the author of six novels, including Crazy Ladies, Mad Girls in Love, American Pie, and She Flew the Coop, as well as a food memoir, Consuming Passions. She lives with her husband on a farm in Lebanon, Tennessee, with three bratty Yorkshire terriers, a Chinese crested, assorted donkeys, chickens, sheep, and African Pygmy goats. Her faithful dog Zap was the inspiration of a character in Mermaids in the Basement.

33 comments:

bj said...

Amazing post. Love those cupcakes and thank you much for the recipe. I just might make these for my bunch at Easter. need some of those pretty little cupcake paper holders, tho.:)
Have a Happy Easter, Suz.

Lynn said...

Your Red Velvet cupcakes look great Sue! The book's fun, Happy Reading:@)

J Rodney said...

They look absolutely delightful!

Unknown said...

Great write, Sue! Sooooo, is this Teeny chef available?
Golly, they look deelish...

... & eggs-tra special blessings to you.
TTFN ~
Happy Easter,
Marydon

Ricki Treleaven said...

I would like to read this book! Red velvet is my daughter's favorite!

Blondie's Journal said...

These are beautiful, Sue...you {Teeny} really know how to decorate a cupcake!

XO,
Jane

Jacqueline said...

Those cupcake cups are gorgeous. I did a red velvet cake too, yum, I think it is really one of my favorites! So moist and good.

Patrice said...

Red velvet cupcakes and a good book...heaven!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

The cupcakes look yummy. I won one of her books in her recent giveaway and am looking forward to reading it, but will wait til next week when things slow down around here.
Glenda

Kathleen said...

Your cupcakes look wonderful! Perfect as an Easter treat.
I loved the book, finished it the day I got it!

Donnie said...

You did a wonderful job reviewing the book and baking those lovely cupcakes. Such fun.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, those cupcakes are gorgeous. Hope your Easter is wonderful.

Barbara F. said...

I gotta get a hold of that book! It sounds great. Your cupcakes look luscious, almost too pretty to eat! xo,

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Oh, Sue--these are the most gorgeous red velvet cupcakes I've ever seen. I laughed outloud when I saw that Teeny had taken over your kitchen! What a fun post! XX00

Auntie B said...

I adore red velvet cake and Michael Lee West's newest novel. I'm enjoying it immensely and think your cupcakes would be be the perfect snack during an afternoon reading session. Thank you for the recipe!

xinex said...

Your red velvet cakes look so pretty and good, Sue. Teeny will be pleased. I started reading the book but have been kinda slow b/c I haven't been feeling well. I caught John's cough and congestion. You are so creative in this post...Christine

Unknown said...

I love this post! So cute and those cupcakes are looking pretty tempting. I saw your post on my Facebook through Michael and had to check it out.
I can't wait to read the book...sounds fun :)
Happy Easter!

Jane said...

Love your post, Sue!!! Your red velvet cupcakes look, as my DIL would say...AMAZING!!! Teeny would be so proud!

I cannot wait for my copy to arrive. Teeny keeps knocking on the kitchen door, demanding some cornbread croutons and fried green tomatoes. Soon, dear lady...soon.
Jane (artfully graced)

ps saw your post on FB...

Rettabug said...

Gorgeous cupcakes, Sue! I've never seen prettier looking ones & I ♥♥♥ those wrappers!

You did a great job describing ML's book. I'm still waiting for my copy. :/

Wishing you a Joyeuse Pacques!
fondly,
Rett

Maria said...

An amazing job, Sue! Your cupcakes are a work of art!
love your tablesetting too.
This looks like a 'must read' ~ so fun to share excitement like this on our blogs!
Wishing you a beautiful and blessed Easter! ♥ Maria

Jenny said...

Wow! A twofer! Cupcakes and a book review. Thank you!

Happy Easter!

Sue said...

Red Velvet cake is a recipe from my childhood. I'm glad to see it's popular again! I'm going to make cupcakes for my twin grandsons. They will love them. They'll take extra cake and pass up the ice cream every time.

I love your blog!!

Sarah said...

What a fun post! I made Red Velvet Cupcakes too. That Teeny is taking over a lot of kitchens this week. She is a fun character! ~ Sarah

The Tablescaper said...

The cupcakes look delicious. Happy Easter.

- The Tablescaper

koralee said...

Do you know how happy these make me...I love RED VELVET!!!!! Yours are so adorable! I love your easter table.

Sending you oooodles of Easter Blessings my sweet friend. xoxo

Lori said...

Gotta love Red Velvet!! The cupcakes were so pretty. Easter Blessings.

LindyLouMac said...

So you did decide to cook after all. You already know my thoughts are with you at this bitter sweet Easter time. Take Care.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

What a fantastic post, Sue! Love those red velvet cupcakes and your table is AWWWW...Amazingly beautiful!
Wishing you a wonderful Easter!
Hugs,
Coralie

Monica H said...

The cupcakes look so moist- RV is one of my favorites and the book sounds like a lot of drama and fun!

Shellbelle said...

Suz, seriously, those are the purtiest darn red velvet cupcakes I've evah seen!

AND, those cupcake liners are wonderful, wherever did you find them?

Hugs

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

OMG, I'm trying hard to win one of those books!!! The story looks like SUCH FUN!!! Your cupcakes are "TO DIE FOR"! OOOPS sorry Teeny!!!
I'll be printing out this recipe FOR SURE! They look so YUMMMMY!!!
Thank you and
Happy Easter to you and yours!!!
Big Hugs,
Donna

Rettabug said...

Hoping you're having a wonderful Easter, full of good food & family. This has been a touch year for you guys, so expect to be a little melancholy.

Hugs,
Rett

Karen said...

OMG! Forgive me but...I love your CUPCAKE HOLDERS! where did you get them? LIttle flowers, just waiting to be gobbled up! Full of your YUMY red velvet cupcakes!
Uh ... YUM!!!! I got to try these!
Maybe I better wait until I get the other 7 pounds off...
:) Hugs! Karen