Monday, December 7, 2009

Take One Naked Wreath...


It is Tuesday, time to Deck The Halls with our hostess Susan @ thoughtsfromovertherainbow. Please visit her and see all the wonderful decorating ideas she has linked for you.

I am a firm believer in reusing my floral decorations. I am always pulling bows and trim off of wreaths and redoing them. We hang a wreath on a large wall that goes down an open stairway to our basement. With my tree being trimmed in brown, bronze and aqua...last year's wreath of bright green and red just wasn't going to look very nice. So, I started over.


I started with one very naked wreath. I added some bronze ribbon, a few gold, brown, bronze and aqua ornaments and a string of antique aqua glass roping that belonged to my grandmother. It was so fragile that if I touched it the little glass balls would break. I also used two bronze and brown poinsettias and a few bronze and gold sticks.


It actually looks okay, although I can see I need to work with the ribbon tails a little bit. It didn't help that I dropped it when I was suspended mid-air trying to hang it. I would prefer it to have lights to brighten up the browns, but I don't want a cord running down the wall and battery lights just don't last long enough.


This is taken from a different angle and I think it gives a better idea of how it ties in with the other decorations that are near it. Our kitchen, dining and living room are all one big room. The only thing that changes is the flooring. We go from tile to hardwood to carpet all in one large open space. It makes decorating a little tricky when you don't have walls!


This is a close-up of the work in progress. I hadn't added the aqua ornaments yet, and I tried the roping on both the top and bottom of the wreath, but I didn't like it on the bottom. So, it came off and a few aqua ornaments replaced it. This picture gives you a better idea of the colors.

27 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this combination of colors. Bronze is a WONDERFUL!!! color to decorate with and addition of the aqua rope is GREAT!!!
THANKS!!! for sharing your BEAUTIFUL WREATH!!!
Geri

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Wow, your wreath came out beautiful! Very creative!!

Blondie's Journal said...

Sue~~

The wreath is very pretty. I love the colors. You did a great job. The problem lighting wreaths aggravates me too! Who needs a cord?

Have a wonderful week! :-)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Sue,
I think it's looking very pretty and festive! I know what you mean about the open living and no walls, our last home was like that and it does make it trickier to decorate! I love how you reuse things, my favorite decorating, thrifty and beautiful! Hugs, Cindy

Abatevintage said...

Oh wow I love it, what a wonderful creation. I love wreaths they are my favorite part of Christmas. Your wreath is breath taking.

Blessings
♥´¨)¸.+´¸.•*´¨)¸.+*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.+´♥♥¸.+´
¸.•*´¨)¸.+*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.+´♥ Heidi ♥)

Life Laugh Latte said...

So pretty...you are so good at this. Have you ever thought of doing a homemaking class for your city parks and rec dept.? You would be so good at helping women with cooking and decorating and focusing on things that are important while raising kids. I know I would come! Holly:)

Kammy said...

So pretty with all those warm colors ! Great job on pulling things apart and making them new !
Kammy

Kim said...

I need to see more. The little that you showed really made me want to see more. What you showed is beautiful.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

How pretty! You did a beautiful job on the wreath! Thanks for sharing with us.

JUST ME said...

weeeeeeeee! Love Christmas decorations.

Unknown said...

Your wreath is beautiful, love the bulbs in the glass vase and the garland on your banister... I have to say... you DON'T need a mom, you are doing great on your own! ;)

dee dee said...

Sue,
This is so pretty! Your colors this year just sparkle and shine!... Dee Dee

Unknown said...

Love the colors in wreath. The browns and coppers looks so warm. Thanks for sharing.
Sandy

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Sue sweetie...
I love the wreath and the colors are just so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I love the flow from the table, to the banister, and then to the wall. (I decorated my living room in copper, gold and brown, and used splashes of very pale green. I love it. I haven't posted my pics yet, but I am working on it.)

You did a beautiful job sweetie, and I think that you using your Grandmother's trim made it even more special. It is so wonderful to still have things that belonged to her.

Stop by soon. I love it when you do.

Country hugs..Sherry

Sue said...

Hi Sue, I like the color selection that you chose for your wreath. The aqua makes the whole thing POP. I love browns and golds together. In fact, this year I did a small tree for the foyer in that combination.
~ Sue

Jeanette said...

I love the colors! It is pretty but the colors take it over the top! They were the perfect selection.

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

You did a nice job on the wreath.

koralee said...

I adore your wreath! I love the colours you have for Christmas..aqua and brown so pretty.

Relyn Lawson said...

Did I tell you before how much I like the bronze and blue? I do. I really, really do.

Tammy@InStitches said...

I love your color scheme ! Thanks for the sweet comments.

susan said...

Sue-You are very good at this! I loved the colors in your tree and it will be great on the wreath--don't hurt yourself finishing it! Thanks for linking to Deck the Halls!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Good Morning Sweet Sue....girl you did an awesome jon on your redo...I also will do the same thing each year...I try not to buy anything new but ribbons as I have no room left at the Inn to store anything new ha ha!! Hey you need to come visit me Sue I have something for you dear friend...I hope all is well on your side of the mountain my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

Sue,

Your wreath turned out beautifully! Love your color theme.

Christi @ A Southern Life

Holly Lefevre said...

Love the colors...very pretty!

Michelle said...

Love the blue beads in your wreath and the aqua bulbs sound like a perfect addition!

Glennis said...

That's gorgeous, Sue! What an eye for color you have!

Carol said...

Your bronze accents are stunning!