Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Favorite Disney Hotels...All Decked Out for the Holidays


The Grand Floridian

     My first visit to Walt Disney World was Christmas of 1973. Walt Disney World was only a year old, and The Magic Kingdom was the only theme park. The Polynesian and Contemporary hotels were the only two choices of hotels on property. My family stayed at the Contemporary Hotel that year. As a teenager, I was very impressed that the monorail zoomed right through the lobby of the hotel. Over the years, I've been back to WDW too many times to count. We started taking our own children before they could walk (not smart) and continued to bring them yearly until after they left for college. When my daughter was in junior high, she decided she was going to work for Disney. She did a college internship at WDW and moved to Orlando the day after her college graduation 2 1/2 years ago.  Now, we are here several times a year. I guess you could say we are a Disney family.


Gingerbread Tree-Contemporary Hotel

     We have stayed at many of the Disney Hotels over the years and we are often asked which one is our favorite. I would have to say that I have 2 favorites. The Polynesian Hotel has always been the one that makes me "feel good". I love the tropical theme, the beach and the island atmosphere.









     My other favorite, is The Grand Floridian Hotel. The rooms are very nice, but it is the service, the landscaping and the elegance of this hotel that can't be matched at any other WDW hotel. We stayed at the Grand Floridian in the spring, 2 years ago and it was wonderful. It is very pricey and not something we will get to do often (even with my daughter's discount).













     I hope I'm not boring you with the tour. Truthfully, I just love taking pictures when I'm here and I'm too tired to be creative and think of something original to write about!

9 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Oh beautiful -- not boring at all! Thanks for taking us on the tour!

Shellbelle said...

Boring,are you kidding me? I've been to Disneyland and Disney World too many times to count and I've never been there at Christmas. I love seeing the Happiest Place on Earth all lit up for Christmas.

I do hope you make it over to the Gaylord for a walk through that resort. I've put it on my bucket list to stay there sometime, but I'll have to win the lottery first! Go in the evening for the Christmas show in the atrium, it's all free and fabulous!

Stephanie @ A Fine House said...

Love it! It snowed here last night - eck!
Just 3 years ago I stayed at my first Disney hotel and it was the Disney All-Star Movie Resort. I think it is one of the budget motels that Disney offers, but we still had a great time. It is Disney after all.

Jeanette said...

So very beautiful. Disney does it up right! Thank you for sharing

The Charm of Home said...

Very beautiful! WDW knows how to decorate for Christmas. Just the volume of decorations they put out is staggering.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Their decorations are beautiful! I went a couple of times within the first year they opened. First time was right after they opened (Fall of 1971) and my daughter was not quiet 3. I don't think she remembers that trip and she has been a few times since so made up for it. :) We never stayed at a hotel. We lived in Florida at the time, and would leave out very early in the morning and get there when the gates opened, then drive home late that night.

dee dee said...

Sue,
Never boring... simply beautiful! I love how each resort is so unique! The huge tree is stunning... Wow! Which is your favorite park?
Dee Dee

Natasha in Oz said...

We went to Disneyworld 3 years ago and arrived on December 30. We stayed near Epcott (yacht club themed hotel?) and our room had the most wonderful views of the New Year's Fireworks. We went to the Grand Floridian for breakfast and the hotel was decorated just the same as in your pictures. This has been wonderful re-living our family trip though your great pictures.
I hope that this Christmas is a very Merry one for you and your family and best wishes also for a very happy new Year.
Blessings, Natasha.

BrightenedBoy said...

When you live in that area, you never actually visit Disney. I was down there for eight months and didn't so much as step one foot inside of Disney World the entire time I was there.

It's good that your daughter is doing something she really loves.