Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Very Easy Appetizer #3


     Once again I'm doing a recipe that has no real name. We call them Pickle Roll Ups at our house. My kids love these. They did when they were young and they do now. My daughter takes these to all her potlucks. They are so simple to make, obviously require almost no ingredients and if you take them somewhere, they will disappear very quickly.

Ingredients:
1 jar of medium sized dill pickles, drained on paper towels
1 package thin sliced ham (you can get yours at the deli or use any of the packaged varieties-we started making these when there was only Buddig)
8 oz. cream cheese softened (I used low fat when I made them for this post because we were going to eat them. They didn't turn out as "pretty" because the lite cream cheese is softer-I suggest you stick with the regular cream cheese for guests).

Spread a layer of cream cheese on a slice of ham and top with a pickle. The cheese needs to be softened and you need to spread carefully to not tear the meat.




Roll up the meat around the pickle and slice. The ends might need to be folded in (or fed to the children and husband that are standing over your shoulder).




As you can see, the cream cheese was a bit "sloppy" in this batch and my pickles were a little larger than I like to use. If you use regular cream cheese and soften it in the microwave or let it sit out to get soft, it will firm back up after you slice and chill them. If you are trying to keep the calories low, they do taste just fine with the low fat cheese. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh, I love these and haven't made them in so long!! We call them ham roll ups. And we slice the pickle so it is thinner. But the taste is still the same (and wonderful). Now I need to make these!!

xoxo
Janie

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

I love these {no name}things! We discovered them last year and my kids love them too! I have not tried it with ham, I've used roast beef...I bet ham {or any lunch meat}is good too!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Looks so good Sue, how am I supposed to stay on a diet! LOL! Come see my post on Galena when you can it involves the first commenter on your list! Hugs, Cindy

Jeanette said...

I had forgotten about these treasures! Easy, good and easy. Thank you for posting! Merry Christmas.

dee dee said...

Sue,
I love how cute these look when they are all cut up! Dee Dee

Stephanie said...

Um, I've never heard about these. They are making me a bit nervous. I do love ham, cream cheese, and pickles. But all together? IDK.
I think I'll give them a try and I'll let you know what the family thinks.
Thanks for sharing!