Sunday, December 13, 2009

From My Kitchen Window

     It is late and everyone has gone to bed. I am alone in the glow of the Christmas tree and as I put the last of the glasses into the dishwasher,  I take a moment to look out the kitchen window. At first glance there is only blackness. To the left I see the lights on other houses in the neighborhood and the sky glows where overnight businesses are still open, but not visible to my eye.

     In the distance I can see the lights on the interstate like fireflies floating on a summer breeze. I realize that each of these tiny lights is a story, a life. In the mini-van is the family who left the suburbs after work to head to Tampa to be with grandma and grandpa for the holidays. They have a carrier on top of the van loaded with gifts. The children worry that Santa won't be able to find them in Florida, mom assures them he will. In the semi is the trucker who runs from Wisconsin to Atlanta and will make 2 more trips before having a few days off for Christmas. Tucked under the seat is the diamond necklace he plans to give his wife of 25 years. She will be so surprised; he has never done anything like that before. In the old Pontiac, with laundry piled in the back seat and the music thumping, is the college student. He is headed home to Southern Illinois for some "real food" and a little tender loving care from mom. He is worried about the final he took this morning; he has to pass that class to graduate. The SUV holds longtime companions Kevin and Anthony. They met in college and have been together 10 years. They flew into O'Hare this morning with their new little baby girl from China and are heading home to Memphis. The holidays have a new meaning for them this year. Everyone is passing the Cadillac that is driving 65, with 80-year-old Fred at the wheel. He and Martha are going back home to Michigan to be with family for couple of weeks. They left from Jacksonville 3 days ago; this is long trip for them.

     As I unplug the Christmas tree and quietly head to my bedroom, I think of those tiny lights moving on that big highway. I pray for their safety as they travel. I hope this holiday season is all they want it to be. I think how each of us is really just a speck of light in a very big world and yet we are all connected. I feel an overwhelming sense of peace as the room goes dark.



12/19/2006-SS

30 comments:

Tammy@InStitches said...

What a sweet post, you should write a book ! Just thought I'd let you know they fed us filet mignon an scallops !

Lyneen said...

Great post! For not blogging long I think you have the hang of it. Hope you enjoyed the hop!

Unknown said...

what a sweet, discriptive warm feeling in my heart post! So true, everyone with a light on or head lights on, has a story, a plan, a place to be. Love sweet doggie in his bed sleeping peacefully!

Stephanie said...

Such a wonderful post. I love your story. You have a gift for writing. So true that everyone has a story. Every life has its own adventure. (I just watched "Up" yesterday for the first time. I loved it! Such a precious message.)
Hope you'll join me Tuesday for my Cookie Exchange!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great post!

Glennis said...

What a lovely post. Each light is a life and a story. Your words connect us with them all, and make us feel a kinship with them all.

Great thought for the holidays.

dee dee said...

Sue,
So very lovely sweet thoughts and reflections! I hope you enjoy your time in Florida, I pray for safe travels to and from home! This week, I've felt like your puppy, ready to curl up for a long winter's nap!... Dee Dee

Karen said...

This was wonderful. So calm. No drama. Just life. Lives we never see. Oddly enough, it makes me thankful for blogging. I've met some wonderful people who I never would've known had I not met them here.
Thanks for sharing. (Love the pup!)
HAGD! Karen

Dixie said...

sweet thoughts... puppy dreams too!

Thanks for visiting, commenting, following and/or blogging about my 300th post giveaway! Good Luck!

Blessing. Dixie

Sue said...

Nice post... I've never thought of the cars we watch go by in quite that way. Maybe I will when I'm taking a break and need a few good thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

The Charm of Home said...

I like that post. What a neat way to look at the holidays. That's just exactly what is happening for many people we pass each day, everybody has a story.

J Rodney said...

You know I love your post...

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sue! What a lovely post! You have a real gift! And I love the sweet doggie pic! Happy week!...Debbie

Jeanette said...

What a beautiful post. You have a talent there! Your story really touched my heart. Thank you for sharing. Love your doggie.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Thanks for the great post -- all the stories from all the headlights. And thanks for your visit to my post today as well -- I enjoyed my trip, and it really helped to have someone with me who really knew her way around the city. Otherwise, I would have gotten lost too.

Maria said...

A beautifully written story, Sue~
The imagery took me there.

Your puppy looks so peaceful and snuggly with his pillow.
~Maria
ps. I posted a photo of my angel tree topper with her 'bow' cloud. It's in my sidebar.
Merry Christmas!

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Nice story! This will be the first Chrismas in a long time that I'll be traveling by car to visit my inlaws (six hour round trip).

Unknown said...

Indeed a lovely post and I too really enjoyed reading it... A nice quiet moment to just soak in the quietness too... Thank you so much for sharing it with us all!

And by the way, if you thought the outside of the elevator at the Hotel Del Coronado looked scary... wait till you see my post about how haunted the hotel is and the scary "WEST" elevator I took when I got lost in the hallways on my way to the gift shop late at night for some bottled water! Check back in a couple of days for the "Haunted Hotel?" post. ;)
Merry Merry!
~Really Rainey~

ChaiLatte said...

Lovely post, Sue. Don't you just love that sense of peace that God blesses us with? Christmas time is so magical, no matter that things aren't perfect in my world- I have so many wonderful memories to pull from, that I too feel that sense of peace... Hugs.

bj said...

Such a lovely post...quite and restful...
After the fast-paced days of Christmas, I intend to settle down for a long winters nap, my self....:)

JuliesAddiction said...

Hi sue...loved your post!
Julie here from seejuliescrap.blogspot.com where i was part of the Rusty Pickle Blog Hop this last weekeend, and you were one of the random winners to receive one of my ornaments! Please email me your addy so I can send it off :)
juliesaddiction at gmail dot com

Congrats!

Dena Pickle said...

Very nice post! The photo at the end is perfect too. There is such a measure of reassurance in a little dog sleeping so contently!

Thanks for that, I needed it
Dena

xinex said...

I enjoyed all your stories, Sue! How lovely! I felt the peace you were feeling as you looked out the window. We just got home from our most amazing cruise. Can't wait to post about it and share the experience....Christine

Sue said...

How absolutely wonderful and thought provoking... You wrote from the heart and I got a little teary eyed thinking about it all.... Hope you are having fun getting ready for the holidays. I need a little vacation now that I've declared myself done!
:-) Sue

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sue, Thank you for this beautiful and touching musing! So profound. Thank you for helping me remember that there are so many real life people with so many real stories... and not to get so wrapped up in my world to forget. My heart was so softend by your sweet words.
I wanted to let you know that I so appreciate your blogging friendship- when I see you have come to visit I am always excited and delighted! YOu are dear to me! Also to answer your question... they are all dried! Can you believe it?
Have a lovely night!
Yvonne

Someone's Daughter said...

I still love this story! And I miss my puppy! I can just picture her curled up in her little bed....I'll see you soon!!!

Three Rivers, Michigan said...

Lovely thoughts - and I love the photo of the dog snug in her bed.

Three Rivers Daily Photo

Rettabug said...

What a touching post, Sue. You truly have a gift with words & touched my heart. I have tears in my eyes from just reading. I seem to be close to tears quite often these days.
I appreciated so much your sweet comments on my hubby's health. We're taking it one day at a time.

Roberta said...

Beautiful reflective thoughts this holiday season. This is what it's all about. Sending love and prayers out. Blessings, xo Roberta

BrightenedBoy said...

I am truly impressed by this piece.

So imaginative, so reflective, so tranquil.

I hope you'll give voice to more of these thoughts.