Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Candy Cane Christmas-Tablescape Thursday



As I am writing this, it is 2 weeks until Christmas. When it posts, the holiday will be upon us. I'm sure everyone is busy and hopefully surrounded by family and friends. I will be miles from my home, enjoying warm temperatures with my parents and daughter. If you have a moment, please join Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday. I'm sure she will have something wonderful to show us!




This tablescape was a fun challenge for me. While looking
through my Christmas boxes, I found red plaid plates and mugs
that I had forgotten about. They are plastic! I wanted to see
if I could make a tablescape using plastic plates and
still have it look nice enough for guests.




I used a red tablecloth that I've had for several years.
I topped my red and green plastic plates with my everyday
white Wal-Mart salad plate and a simple candy cane.
I added white napkins, my everyday flatware, matching
mugs and holly glasses I've had for years.
This is a frugal place setting!



Topping two crystal candlesticks with candy striped ornaments,
clear votives and a few scattered ornaments add to the look.



In the center of the table, I used an ice "frosted" tree
and wreath, surrounded by sparkling small red ornaments
(which I notice look much like cherry tomatoes in this picture).



I found this wonderful glittery house at our local thrift store.
I slipped a votive candle inside and I love how it looks.




I hope this shows that you can set a beautiful table
with very inexpensive things. Merry Christmas!


24 comments:

Unknown said...

darling darling darling... love red and white and candy canes!

Sonia said...

How cute! I love the little votive house....what a great find! Have fun on your trip and be safe!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

The Early Bird!!! I love it! This is one of my favorite looks and you've done a GREAT job!

Maria said...

Hi Sue! I just saw your Chinese noodle candy recipe! thanks for that... (left a comment there too ;o)
This tablescape is great.
I love the centerpiece!
* * * How sparkly * * *
The candlestick and ornament idea is a keeper!
The candlelit house is a lovely find~
It's always wonderful to visit here, Sue!
~Maria

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love this Sue! Very festive and I like how you photographed the table with the candlelight and the little house! Wonderful!

dee dee said...

Sue,
This really is such a wonderful table! Plastic... would have never guessed! the colors are do bright and cheery!
Have fun in Florida... I'm jealous... :-)!
Dee Dee

Life Laugh Latte said...

Your table is awesome! As usual!! I think you would really enjoy my sis in laws blog. She loves to decorate and it is really well done. Check her out sometime. http://www.sugarpiefarmhouse.com/blog
Glad I stopped by. Have a great day. Holly

Kathleen said...

Looks great, Sue..The tree really ups the bling value, LOL!
Pretty table!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I love red and green, too. The photos of the little house are beautiful...like a little, cozy world.

Cindy said...

I just love that! And even more pretty with the candlelight!

Holly Lefevre said...

Your tables looks gorgeous. I am a big proponent that things done "on the cheap" can be just as lovely as those with big budgets. Your decor was lovely..the centerpiece is beautiful. I of course love the holly glasses. I just bought a glittery house like that at my local thrift store.

Barbara said...

Sue, So cute and "Christmasy". The red and white is bright and cheery. Merry Christmas, friend.

Barbara

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Sue
Well I hope I haven't missed saying Have a Wonderful Xmas and New Year and thankyou for all your support and kindness this year... it truly makes a difference!!

Very festive tablescape!! xxx Julie [thanks mum!! hehe]

Unknown said...

Sue...I LOVE this table! The candlelight is devine :)

CHRISTmas Blessings!
Gail

Three Rivers, Michigan said...

Very pretty --

and I hope you are still driving around where it is warm!

Three Rivers Daily Photo

vignette design said...

So darling! Love it all lit up at night. --Delores

Cynthia said...

What a fun and festive table. Love your picture of the castle at the top of your blog! Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

Dena Pickle said...

Beautiful! I love the plaid plates, I haven't seen anything like them.
Very lovely with the candlelit house too!
I hope you are having a lot of family around that table!
Merry Christmas to you!
Dena

Marigene said...

I love your holiday table, very festive.

Lexie said...

sooo pretty! makes me wish i was at home - i dont even have a real table in my apartment .. i eat at my desk! :(

Sue said...

Sue, This arrangement is just so cute and whimsical. I especially like the iced tree and wreath. Who knew plastic plates could look good with the real stuff, too? LOL The little house is adorable. I like that you used ornaments to accent the place settings. Just looks so fun and festive. Enjoy your holiday! Sue

You Are My Fave said...

I love the little lit house. It makes the table.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Everything looks wonderful~ Everything looks so festive -- and that little house is adorable.

BrightenedBoy said...

Once again, your creativity and enthusiasm have made for a beautiful table.