Monday, December 14, 2009

A Holiday Cookie Exchange: Chinese Noodle Candy (Cookies)-Easy, No Bake


Stephanie @ A Fine House is our hostess today for A Holiday Cookie Exchange. I am sure that if you visit her blog you will find links to amazing cookies to make for your family and friends.

In keeping with my attempts of making cooking easy for my readers, I am showing you one of our family favorites today. It is not only fast (no baking) it is easy and requires very few ingredients. My mom made these the entire time I was growing up. Our family loves the combination of sweet and slightly salty.

Ingredients:
1 12oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 12oz bag of butterscotch chips
1 5 oz can of Chinese Noodles
2 cups salted cashews

I find it very easey to use the microwave to melt my chips. If you prefer a double boiler...that works too. My way is easier. You need to check the chips every 30 seconds or so, you don't want to burn them.

Put the chips in a large bowl. Microwave until just melted and stir to blend well. Stir in the the noodles and the cashews gently until completely covered. Drop by tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheets. Chill in the frig or in a cool place until they set up. Easy 5 minute cookies/candy. You won't be disappointed! Enjoy.






22 comments:

Stephanie @ A Fine House said...

Yum! I remember these. I've never made them, but I remember eating them when i was a kid. I think we called them haystacks.
I am adding them to my list!
Thanks for sharing.
Stephanie @ A Fine House

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

I love those things!

annies home said...

love these they are on the list every year
shopannies@yahoo.com

koralee said...

Just what I need...I am having a cookie exchange this Thursday. Today is my baking day...so off to check out the link. I have made your yummy noodle cookies before and we love them. Thank you for your sweet comment you left on my blog...yesterday was a sad day but your comment helped me alot. We do miss our Rosie.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Those do look good! I love the sweet and salty combination. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Believe it or not, I have never heard of these. I am definitely going to have to try to make these. Thanks for sharing Happy Holidays!

Three Rivers, Michigan said...

Yikes -- fried chow mein noodles with chocolate? Hmmm, no I think I'll stick to oatmeal!

Three Rivers Daily Photo

Life Laugh Latte said...

3 Rivers is wrong...salted chocolate is all the rage! That is basically what this is. I think the crunch and the nuts would be a hit. I might use dark chips and toasted almonds. What do you think? Holly

Sue said...

Thanks for all the comments. I've been "on the road" and away from the computer all day. Holly, I think that would be good, I love almonds. I also think it would work with peanuts.

In Three...I know is odd, but I promise, it is good. I don't even like those fried noodles any other way.

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Now thats my kind of recipe,no bake!!! Just wanted to stop by and say two things,first of all thank you...for always leaving me the sweetest comments that make me feel so happy to be part of this blogging family and secondly to wish you Merry Christmas, I think you said you are going away...so have a wonderful holiday season!! Talk soon,Chrissy

xinex said...

Looks good, Sue. Yummy!...Christine

dee dee said...

Sue,
These look wonderful! I'll have to try them sometime while my daughter is away, she is deathly allergic to cashews. the rest of us however love them! Enjoy Florida for me!
Dee Dee

Lyneen said...

I remember these, been a long time since I have had any. thanks for the memory.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Easy Peasy...and delicious too!

Holly Lefevre said...

I love these...I have had them many times but never made them...my son would love them too.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

A great old favorite! My daughter-in-law makes these along with many fancy cookies every year and we always look forward to the sweetest times ever! Thanks for sharing!

JUST ME said...

Looks like even *I* could make those...

Sandra Evertson said...

Looks so Yummy!
Sandra Evertson

Sonia said...

Oh, yes....we loved to make these and so did my kids! Thanks for the reminder.

Maria said...

Hi Sue! When my sister-in-law makes these...I'm in seventh heaven...
Thanks for the recipe... Here's another one that I've heard 12 times...but never write down... now I can just PRINT :D
Thanks!
~Maria

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I've heard of these, but I've never gotten the opportunity to try them. They sound really good!

I hope you'll stop by and link up today at my Holly Bloggy Christmas Recipe party!

Unknown said...

GREAT!!! recipe using Chow Mien Noodles. THANKS!!!
Geri