Monday, November 30, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree...


I love a decorated Christmas tree. I don't really love decorating it, but I do love picking out the color combinations, the "stuff" that will make up the look I'm going for and the finished product. In a recent post, I gave a step by step on tree decorating...so, I won't do that again here.



We aren't actually here for Christmas, so we just put up one tree these days. It is about 7-7 1/2 feet tall. This year, I put on 1200 white lights. That is a lot of lights, but it really makes the tree look pretty. It almost didn't need ornaments. I decided to use a brown, bronze and aqua theme this year, with hints of gold. I actually have expresso leather sofas, and use aqua pillows and accent pieces...so for once, the tree matches the rest of my things.

I always put things on the tree in layers. The aqua icicles went on first, then the glittery brown snowflakes. I added lots of "ice" frosted twigs and then I started putting on the actual ornaments.


I love the bronze glittered twig/stick things (that is a technical term) which went on after the ornaments. I just put them randomly throughout the tree, along with some golden poinsettias.


I wouldn't want anyone to think that I wasn't sentimental. While the ornaments that the kids made are all nicely boxed in the basement, I did add a few hints of my Disney daughter, who doesn't get to come home during the holidays.




I explained in my other tree post that I like my tree topper to be a bit strange. I like things to stick up and out every which way. I think I accomplished that this year.


Overall, I'm happy with the way it turned out. The brown/bronze was a new color for me this year. I had to start from scratch and I would have liked about another 50 pieces of stuff to add to the look. I do notice that the browns don't show up against the green as well as some colors I've used, but I still like the look. What do you think?








I am participating in Tuesday's Deck The Halls this week. Susan @ thoughtsfromovertherainbow is our hostess. Please check out her site for links to the other participants. I'm sure we will see some wonderful decorations.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

so gorgeous love the color choices, and I love the tree topper!

Blondie's Journal said...

The tree is lovely and all the lights are worth the trouble. Love the color combo. Stunning!

xoxo
Jane

Ron W. said...

Amazing, just as I would expect.

the southern hostess said...

Looks fabulous! Love the colors.

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

That is a lot of lights. I would blow fuses with that many strings. It sure looks pretty.

Foley said...

Absolutely love your color combo - I've used the bronzes, coppers alot the last few years..it gives such a beautiful look.
Your aqua really sets your tree off..fantastic job!!

xinex said...

I love the colors you picked, Sue! I love aqua and your tree turned out beautifully....Christine

Glennis said...

What an unusual and sophisticated color combo.

I like it.

Vicci @theplaidbasket said...

This is gorgeous! I know what you mean by wanting another 50 or so items...me too! I've got to show my daughter your tree as she really likes aqua and brown decor.

JUST ME said...

Your tree is awesome.

My Mom would so appreciate you. She's always yelling "LAYER. PUT THE ORNAMENTS UP IN LAYERS!!"

Most of the time she gets so fed up she makes us sit down and does it herself.

susan said...

This is gorgeous!! I love the unexpected color combination and I see we both like gold poinsettias in tree. I love the topper--and would LOVE for you to teach me how to make it!! Thanks for participating in Deck the Halls--sorry about cranky Mr. Linky!

Sophie said...

I think it is beautiful!

Lexie said...

my mom has been giving my siblings and me ornaments every year for christmas so that when we move out of the house and start our own family, our tree wont be completely bare! it's one of my favorite traditions!

The Fajdich Times said...

Thanks for stopping by. Your tree topper is beautiful:)

Megan Bennett said...

I love the color combination. With this post your a women after my own heart.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

How pretty! Thanks for sharing.

EMBELLISH said...

Your tree is stunning. I absolutely love your tree topper!!!

dee dee said...

Sue,
Your tree is stunning! Love the colors you used. I find the topper to be "perfect in every way" (alittle Disney to go with the Dinsey ornaments). I'm not sure Wayne would enjoy stringing all those lights, but they sure do add to your tree. I love it!
Dee Dee

Marsha said...

Your tree is a beauty - I love the unusual color combination not the usual Christmas red and green :)

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS!!! tree, I love the combination of colors.
Geri

Kathleen said...

It is beautiful! Very different!

Stephanie @ A Fine House said...

Sue,
I am so behind on my blog reading due to my busy holiday weekend. I just read this post and I LOVE what you did with your tree. Don't you just love choosing a color (theme) and pulling it all together. I had so much fun doing that this year - now that I have 2 trees to decorate instead of just the one.
I adore the colors you chose for this tree! Love it!