Monday, March 14, 2011

Oh What a Mess!

     This is going to be a different kind of Met Monday post, it will show the beginning of my project...but not the end, yet. You may notice that I don't show many pictures of my kitchen. Our home was 5 years old when we bought it in 2003, so things were still "new" but they weren't exactly what we would have selected. It didn't help that we had put in a completely new kitchen exactly like we wanted in the house we moved from. It is a large kitchen with plenty of cabinets and great work space. I've even adjusted to the cabinets even though I had white-washed cabinets in my last home. The countertop has driven me crazy. Bland...the only word for it. I also didn't like (although it is useful) the low bar. So...gradually we have been making some changes. In December we put in all stainless appliances (love them). Yesterday, we did this...


My husband took this picture, some things
 were already moved around...ignore the decor!


     I took the rest of these this morning. It is dark in my house! My camera was flashing low light, so they aren't the best photos. There will soon be beadboard on back of the peninsula. We may carry the beadboard around to the end as well. We aren't sure we will be able to do so because of the cabinet edge.


     The granite company is coming later this morning to make the template for the countertop. I can't wait. I've picked a color that I never expected. It isn't at all what I went in looking for. I hope I didn't make a mistake! The pulls on the cabinets will be changed to stainless. Of course we changed them from brass just about 3 years ago. Nothing like buying 33 pulls twice! We are also going to tile the backsplash when my dad gets here in May. For now, a fresh coat of paint will be done through the kitchen, dining and living areas. It is all one large space at our house, once you start painting...there is no stopping! I will not be able to use my kitchen for 2 weeks. The sink, disposal and dishwasher aren't able to be used. Won't this be fun? Stay tuned for updates.

     Saturday we drove the 75 miles to visit my in-laws at the nursing home. They hadn't been back to visit their home in the month they have been gone from it. We told them we would pick up food and take them home for a "picnic". What we didn't know was that my sister-in-law had decided to start going through the house, getting rid of things and preparing it for selling. So, it was a bit of a shock to my in-laws to see things in such a mess. There were tears and sad moments as my mother-in-law walked around touching things and saying that over 60 years of her life were in that house. We came home with an antique spool cabinet that has always been in their home. It will now live at our house. I'm not sure where yet. It is a funny thing to have in my house, since I can barely sew a button on something!



I tried taking a picture with the flash so you could see the colors.




This is the top of the cabinet.

Please remember to sign up for my GIVEAWAY!


I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for
Met Monday. Please take some time to go check
out the wonderful projects that will
be posted on her blog today!

22 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, the kitchen is going to be fabulous. I am getting ready to paint mine, too. I think the rooms will flow better since they are all open to each other, too. It had to be hard for the in laws to see their home like that and their things filled with memories. I am sure you will find the perfect spot for the old spool box.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

HA!! your are going to be a quilter yet!! You will keep looking at all those pretty colors of thread and will have to go and buy some fabric!!
Anyway, good luck with your kitchen, it will look fabulous when you are finished.

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to seeing your new granite and other changes for your kitchen, Sue.

I am feeling heartbroken for your inlaws. How sad it must have been for them to see their home being packed up.

I have always wanted a spool cabinet. They are such interesting pieces. Of course, I am old enough to remember seeing them in the "dry goods" area of stores...back in the day. I love the colorful spools of thread in your cabinet and can't wait to see what you decide to do with it.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sue Sweetie...
Oh what a beautiful share. I love, LOVE those stainless steel appliances. You have the refrigerator I have been dreaming of. Love it.

I can't wait to see your countertops, as I know they will be exquisite. The stainless pulls will be gorgeous on your cabinets as well. How pretty it will look. You Dad is a carpenter of all trades. He is like my DH he gets loved into doing all these wonderful projects. Your backsplashes will be so pretty.
Can't wait to see everything complete.

Oh I love your spool holder by J&P Coats. What a treasure sweetie. It is so beautiful. It is a treasure I dream of one day finding. You will have it for display if nothing else, and it meant so much to your precious MIL, how lovely of her to pass it on to you. The cabinet is in mint condition. She has been loved very well.

So sorry for the tears and home visit being so sad for the in laws. Who would have thought? I know it just broke their hearts to see their home in disarray. I have kept them in my prayers sweet friend and will continue to do so. I know how hard this process is.

Have a beautiful week and keep me posted on all of the rennovations. I am so thrilled for you. Many hugs and so much love, Sherry

Rachel said...

I saw your lovely comment on my blog, thanks for checking mine out! I love your thread caddy and have a quilter friend that collects sewing notions... I MUST show her your blog!!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Lucky you - I would love to be getting a kitchen redo. I am looking forward to seeing what you do. Sad that your inlaws had to see their home like that - to bad your sister in law did not let you know before hand. That spool cabinet is a real treasure
A rainy Monday here.

dee dee said...

Sue,
Our granite company took measurements witht he counter still on, so we didn't have to live two weeks without the sink and water. And the few day we did we used the kitchen in our basement apartment. Can't wait to see what you chose for your color! Your kitchen looks so large and spacious, I am sure it will looks fantastic when completed! With no kitchen... does that mean you are getting to eat out?
I'm sorry that your trip with your inlaws took on such a sad tone. We spent the past two years getting rid of things from both my grandmothers condo's in order to get them sold. Mom ended up keeping much more than she needed too, but just couldn't stand being the one to make the decisions to get rid of their belongings. It is so hard. I can feel for you all....
I do love the spool cabinet. It is beautiful and a treasure to be sure.
Can't wait to see the finished kitchen.
Dee Dee

Blondie's Journal said...

Your kitchen is going to look great. I love the idea of bead board around the peninsula. And you left us hanging over what you chose for the counter tops! ;-D

I feel so bad for your in laws. I would have been crying along with them. I know it is probably for the best, but they must be so sad.

The spool box is cool...it will make a wonderful conversation piece.

XO,
Jane

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sue,
This spool box is outstanding...I know your MIL is happy that you got it and will love it just as she did. I'm sure the visit was very hard on them...60 years is a very long time. Your kitchen is going to look great...we did ours back in Fall 09 and we love it...I'm sure you will love yours too...granite is very hard to decide on.

Blessings,
Linda

J Rodney said...

I cannot wait to see the after photos. Knowing you they are going to be great, and I bet you are itching to get started and finished. What are you going to do with out kitchen counters for so long?

BTW I love that spool cabinet, it is just full of charm, what a treasure!

Donnie said...

The spool cabinet looks like an art piece. Looking forward to seeing your after photos.

Marlis said...

OOh i would just die for that spool cabinet!!! It's an absolute dream. Lucky you. I can just imagine your MIL's reaction though. It's very very hard. We put my mother in law into a home last year and that was heartbreaking. Good luck and lots of prayers. Loved your cloche post below too.. Lovely pieces and you have a great eye for decorating!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I can't wait to see your granite! I SOOOO wish I could redo our kitchen! The spool cabinet is something I ahve never seen! You will find the perfect spot. XO, Pinky

Maria said...

Hi Sue!
Oh I can't wait to see the results of your countertop change!
how exciting!

I also just love your J & P Coats spool cabinet! I remember and still have real wood spools! How different things used to be. Some of the threads I have from Chris' grandmother are so thick and strong. Some seem a bit brittle, possibly from age...and break very easily... but the colors are still vibrant!
Enjoy your kitchen makeover! Looking forward to the next post!
*happy Monday night* {so glad to be home from work!}
~Maria

Patrice said...

One of these days, I'm going to put granite countertops in my house. We did so much work on our New Orleans house to get it ready to sell, it'll take us awhile to get up the gumption to do it to our new house.

I feel your mother-in-law's pain going through her old house. I love that spool cabinet, too!

Sue said...

OMG- that spool cabinet is to die for !!!! How wonderful that you have it now. I'm sorry your in-laws saw the house in such disarray- it must have been hard for them to come to the realization that their things being packed up and moved out of the home they've lived in for so long. Best of luck with the new kitchen reno. Just eat out and cook in the microwave every now and then. I'd love to be able to do my cabinets and counter soon, but I'm doing the baths first. Happy St. Paddy's Day! ~ Sue

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OH, I want that spool cabinet! It's really a special piece to have!
Sue I love your kitchen! It's so pretty and I can't wait to see the countertops and new pulls!
Cindy

koralee said...

Your kitchen is going to look amazing my friend....can't wait to see.

Hugs for a great new week. xoxoxo

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Sue, you're going to love your granite countertops! :) Love that old spool cabinet! I've never seen one of those!

bj said...

Your kitchen will be awesome. It is already pretty. Love your cabinets. I've dreamed of getting new counter tops. Not anywhere in the budget for now, tho.
Love that spool cabinet.

Gypsy Heart said...

I feel so sad for your in-laws...I can only imagine how they must feel. Just walking away from all the things they've lived with for eons would be difficult...seeing this would make it harder.

Your kitchen is going to look stunning! What type of granite did you choose? What color paint are you using? Inquiring minds want to know ~ :-) I would love to have a large kitchen so I know you're going to enjoy it! Can't wait to see more ~

xoxo
Pat

Monica H said...

I love kitchen makeovers! I wish we could afford to do ours, but I don't think we'll be here any longer than a couple more years so it's not really worth it.

I can't wait to see your after photos!