Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tablescape Thursday-It's All About The Green


I thought I might be able to find my dining room table in all of our kitchen chaos, but I just couldn't. So, this week is a tablescape rerun from St. Patrick's Day last year. 

It's Tablescape Thursday again, how did it get here so quickly?
Thank you Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch  for being our hostess for this fun event.

This week I decided to celebrate St. Patrick's day with my tablescape. The only problem, I really don't have any dishes or decorations for St. Patrick's Day. So, I improvised. 


     I did have green dinner plates and white salad plates, both from Wal-Mart. The shamrocks in the middle of the plates were my "quick fix" for the holiday. I found a picture on the computer and printed it. I cut out the shamrocks from green scrapbook paper and added a bit of glue and glitter. They really turned out better than I thought they would.


     The tablecloth is a vintage bedspread. I used gold flatware, after all you have to have a little gold with your green on St. Patty's Day.


     I used a shamrock scarf and some sparkly shamrocks down the center of the table. My husband was excited to see me using the cider set. It is antique Yellowware. It belonged to my husband's great-grandfather. His father is 85-years-old, so imagine how old this set is. We've had it in storage for decades. I've never liked it, but actually it really worked for this table setting. I think for this holiday it would probably hold beer instead of cider!


     This little Annalee figure is my only real decoration. I used to collect Annalee Dolls. I don't anymore, but I have many of them. I added a tiny green vase (Crate and Barrel) with yellow forsythia. White napkins with a few more sparkly shamrocks complete the table.


Of course we have to see it by candlelight...








     My hope is that for those of you who think you can't set a pretty table, or that you don't have the "right" things for a special occasion...this table setting will show you that you can do it. I just looked around the house to see what I had that was green and went from there. My only expense was $2 at the Dollar Tree for the scarf and the shamrock tinsel roping.

36 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

I love it Sue! I've got to get some of that garland!

Kathleen said...

Very nice! Looks Irish to me. Cute Annabelle figure..:)

Marigene said...

Sue, I love your table...the cider set is perfect with it.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Your tablescape is gorgeous! Come see me sometime! Would love to have you visit!

Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Gypsy Heart said...

Sue, it looks wonderful! You did such a great job using what you had...it's all just perfect. You give me courage too! :-) I think it's very festive my friend. I'll join you for green beer!

xoxo
Pat

Savannah Granny said...

Beautiful! Got some great ideas for my garden club meeting on March 15th. Great job.

Natasha in Oz said...

Very green and very gorgeous to be sure to be sure!

Top of the mornin' to you dear Sue!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Auch I...a wee Irish table....a girl after my own heart!! Funny thing is the Irish really do very little on St.Patricks day,other than a parade of course...but John says its really no big deal over there! Got your note,it made me laugh,trust me you would NOT want to see photos of what we have for dinner,we are all thin here for a reason(my cooking)I do thank you...your awesome!! x00xx0

Tammy@InStitches said...

Great job improvising. It looks wonderful.

dee dee said...

Sue,
I would have never guessed that you have nothing for St Patti's Day! Your table looks dressed to the nines! You prove each week that tablescapes can be done on little to no $!
How is your plate room coming?
Dee Dee

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Sue - you have the best tablescapes! It could not be any cuter!!!

XOXO
Jen

illini89 said...

very nice

black eyed susans kitchen said...

That table looks like a million bucks...love the way you put it together. The details are festive and fun.
♥, Susan

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, cute St. Patrick's day table. Happy St.Patty's to you when it gets here.

Sue said...

I can almost taste the beer served using the cider set!

Bill said...

I especially enjoyed seeing the pictures taken by candlelight. Nicely done!

Three Rivers, Michigan said...

The cider set is a lovely thing to have and a beautiful green color! I wonder why it is called 'yellow ware'.
Three Rivers Daily Photo

honeysuckle said...

I think you are clever to make "disposable" St. Patrick's day dishes. This way you have saved all that money to use somewhere else. The shamrocks are very cute too. Great job! Thanks for sharing your idea today.

Judy said...

Could not be any more perfect. Beautiful job improvising for St. Patty's day. Everything came together beautifully. Living proof that most of us have everything we need to set a perfect table.

{{{sweetiepie hugs}}}

Sophie said...

You know, we have never celebrated St. Patty's Day, but I think we will this year.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a pretty St. Patty's Day tablescape. Now you really did a great job of pulling together what you had and it turned out just gorgeous. Love it. Hugs, Marty

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

The cider set is incredible! Your table is just adorable, really festive and perfect for the holiday!

Americana Lady said...

I love the antique yellowware! They would look good in a fallscape too. Joan

Holly Lefevre said...

The cider set is great...it is just beautiful. I love using the bedspread as a cloth - as you have seen from my scape I use whatever I can find!

Carey said...

Your table is beautiful. Love all the little Irish items you added. Looks so nice with the candle light.
If you like french themes come over to Chicory Nits, I am having a give a way.
Have a great day.
Carey

Entertaining Women said...

Your Yellow Ware is really special. I could see them filled with flowers and marching down the center of a tablescape...a garden themed table, maybe. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Lynn said...

A festive table Sue! Lovin' the topper and your candle lit shots! Happy St. Patty's Day:@)

Barbara F. said...

I am so impressed that you used stuff you already had! I love the votives and your little Annalee. Looks like a St. Pat's celebration to me. Granddad would be pleased to see his cider set gracing your lovely table.
xo,

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Well, I think you did a super job with the table, Sue! Very festive! And I love your shamrocks you made. That's a great idea. You are so right. You can shop the house and come up with a great table. I'm going to do a series of tablescapes using different linens and centerpieces but the same white plates with varying dessert plates and sometimes the same ones.

Hope all is well with you and yours. I have missed you and blogging SO much and hope to be back at it after I rid myself of some workmen. I had work done in St. A., and now we are doing things at our residence. Dual or should I say dueling houses. LOL!

Life is good. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Donnie said...

You really made the theme beautiful. Happy St Patrick's Day.

LV said...

You went all out for green table setting. You did a very nice job.

Unknown said...

Very Irish Table! I love that "cider" set. I should have come over with my Irish stew!
Rainey

Patrice said...

Your tablescapes always amaze me. I love those green mugs!

Marigene said...

I love your table and that cider set is awesome, Sue.

xinex said...

Really pretty, Sue. Love the improvisation too!...Christine