Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sunrise, Sunset


     We all have those times when it seems as if the storm clouds are swirling all around us. Last week was one of those weeks for me. Two weeks ago, my dad was diagnosed with a serious skin cancer on his face. Last Monday he had surgery to remove it. I was in Illinois and he was in Florida. A friend took him and picked him up a few hours later, dropping him off at home. I was worried that he was home alone...he didn't seem to be worried at all. I felt very far away from him.

     Eleven days ago, my sister's 22-year-old daughter was in a boating accident. She fracture her neck. We were closer to the hospital where they took her, so we got there before her parents...she was terrified. I was terrified too, but I tried not to let her see it. She had surgery last Tuesday.

     On the same day, at the same time, my sister's 14-year-old was going through a trauma of her own. My younger niece's cheerleading coach and her son (a classmate and friend of my niece) were in a freak accident. They were at a football game when someone hit a guy wire on a power pole in the parking lot. 60 yards away, near the bleachers, the movement of the pole that was hit and the power lines snapped a different pole with a transformer on it. The coach (36-years-old) was crushed and killed, her son was seriously injured.

     Last Tuesday, good friends of ours took their 3-year-old to the doctor in St. Louis because they thought he had injured his back in a fall. He has leukemia.


     My dad's pathology reports all came back great. It looks as if they caught it in time and got it all. My niece had successful surgery and while she has a long recovery ahead of her with an ugly collar on her neck, she can walk and move all her fingers and toes. She should be back to 100 percent in a few months.


     My young niece's friend lost his mother, but he is going to be fine. He is back at school and he also has an ugly collar to wear, but he is doing okay. Our friend's little boy has the kind of leukemia that has the most successful cure rate. He will be in the hospital 28 days total. Today we can cross off day 6.
    
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears

I'm feeling very grateful for all blessings of the past several days.



I am joining:
 Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday
Heidi @ Heart and Home for Wednesday Gratitude 

Please take time to pay them a visit.



22 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my, all of that really is a storm of clouds. I am thrilled some of it turned out with good news. So sorry about the boy's loss of his mother. I will keep all in prayer for peace, blessings and a speedy recovery. Hugs, Marty

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh Sue,
that really is tough news especially in one week. I am so glad your Dad is going to be ok and so sorry for the little boy who lost his Mom.
Take Care my friend,
Cindy

dee dee said...

Sue,
My thoughts and prayers are with you... I love the beautiful poem and photos... how fitting.
Dee Dee

Heidi said...

Hi Sue,
I'm constantly amazed at other's ability to see the bright side when things look bleak. You've been through a really trying week, and still have such a wonderful outlook. That's really inspirational, something not a lot of us can do. Thank you for linking up, I hope you have many days of good news ahead...
xo
Heidi - Heart and Home

Sue said...

Heidi-I think it is when you know the news could have been much worse...you are grateful that it wasn't.

I didn't know the woman who was killed, but it was so tragic and odd.

Those of you that know it has been a tough few months...I'm doing fine. Of course I worried about my dad, but he's doing well. I wish I could help my sister more, she really has a lot on her plate right now. I also wish there was something we could do to help our friends. Sometimes you can just pray.

It was just one of those weeks!

xinex said...

What a beautiful post, Sue. When it rains, it pours but I am glad the blessings afterwards pour too. I am so sorry for you experiencing all those scary things but I am glad most came out ok...Christine

koralee said...

My prayers are with you my sweet friend....after every dark cloud there will come light! xoxo

Red Couch Recipes said...

Sue -- that's a whole lot of thing going on! Wow! Glad some of them are turning out okay. Your photos are beautiful. Joni

Maria said...

Hi Sue!
What a well titled post.
I am so glad your father's skin cancer is under control. It's amazing when our fathers "just know" things will be okay.
Your sister will find strength in all of the prayers coming her way, Sue... I'm sure she feels your heartfelt love and care. It really does strengthen ~
Oh the transformer accident is indeed freakish... How tragic.
I will keep your loved ones in prayer, Sue
Blessings as you face the sunrise ♥
*Maria

bpotw said...

Those are some really awesome shots!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Wow, Sue you really have had a lot going on. Glad your Dad's report was good. Skin cancer is a scary thing. That was a really freak accident. This is the second post where someone was killed in a freak accident this week. Prayers for the child with leukmia.

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

Thanks for sharing this...it always helps me when I'm having a run of stormy days that I'm not the only one...and that my problems are sometimes not as bad as I think, because it could be worse.
I'm glad that things worked out for your dad and your niece and hopefully the same good luck will prevail for your friend's child with leukemia.

LindyLouMac said...

Oh my none of us know what this great adventure called life is going to throw at us next. Take Care my thoughts are with you all.

oldgreymare said...

Sue,

Oh what a very difficult week for all involved. Some times it does just seem to come in big bunches of bad for all of us. But we either soldier on or crawl into a ball where we miss the good stuff still happening every day.

When I was going through my worst time a few years back I remember thinking I cannot survive this, it's all too much..but I did, my kids did and the sun came back out once more.

I'm glad to hear you are seeking the bright side of these misfortunes....hopefully knowing there are those of us who care and think of you today helps in some small way.

Suzan

Terri Smith said...

Oh my..so much going but at least with the stormy clouds came some sunshine..your dad's pathology allowed things to be caught in time. Just never know what will unfold during the course of a day, do we? That freak accident spoke volumes. Take care dear lady, Terri

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, you guys have really been through the storms lately. I'll be thikning of you all and praying. Especially for the families who lost loved ones. And, of course, for your Dad.

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Thank you Sue for stopping by. My..I was moved by your post. I pray for the continued recovery of your father, your niece, the young man who lost his dad and your friend's little boy. Life gives us trials and yet somehow we come through it. It can be rough while you're in the midst of it! Blessings do abound! Hugs!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Oh Dear Sue
I don't know what to say.. How awful to have so many worries in such a short time.. I'm pleased to hear that most of these troubles look to be on the mend and will say a little prayer for all of you!!

The boy who lost his mother breaks my heart.. Monday will be 35 years since my own mum's death.. and I know how hard it is to lose a mother at a young age.. I will keep a special place for him in my heart and thoughts.. xxx Julie

Monica H said...

So much going on in your world. I'm so sorry to hear about all the devastation, but I'm so glad to read the good parts of it too.

My thoughts are with you, your family and the child that lost his mother. I wish you all peace and health.

~Monica

PS. Thank you for your comment today. I appreciate it so much. And I totally, 100% understand how you felt- I feel that way too sometimes. Thanks for being there for me.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This is such a thoughtful post. Sometimes it's hard to see our blessings until we've experienced profound pain. Glad to know that some of these experiences have had some hopeful turnarounds -- praying for the young man who lost his mother. We never know what's ahead.

BrightenedBoy said...

Oh, Sue, I'm so sorry. I hope everyone will be okay, and I'm glad your father's prognosis is good.

Angie said...

What a trying week. At least life has a way of working itself out...with a little help from the powers above. Keeping your loved ones in my thoughts and prayers.