Monday, September 6, 2010

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Autumn-Met Monday


     While digging through my in-laws garage a few weeks ago, we found this little table. My father-in-law told me that he made it in his shop class in school. Well, he is 85 years old...this is definitely vintage and primitive! I asked him if I could take it home and paint it and he was happy that we wanted it at all.


     This funny looking chair, was never a "real" chair. When we moved into our home 7 years ago, I still wanted one part of the house where I could decorate with rustic things. Our front porch is very small, but there was room to put a chair in the corner to use as a prop for my seasonal decorations. I was thrilled to find this weathered looking chair at the Covered Bridge Festival. It has been holding up Christmas, fall, Halloween and spring decorative items since. I was ready for a slightly different look this year.


     I had my husband paint both the chair and the little table in a creamy white, distress them a little bit and then add a little stain to age them. I added a little bit of grapevine and some berries, a couple of wooden Halloween votives, my newly created Subway Art project and a little birdhouse we picked up on our drive of the Great River Road. I've already added one coat of stain to the birdhouse, it is getting another one today. It is too orange for my taste. I'm trying to darken it a bit.


     The little table ended up in this corner. I topped it with an antique crock with a burgundy mum in it. The old 7-Up case has cornstalks, Indian corn and a few gourds and small pumpkins. I found the doormat at Kohl's and I liked out it had the darker burgundy and rust that I'm using this year.


The trellis redo has just enough color to "pop" off the muted  brick of our house.


     I think I'm happy so far with the way everything came together. As we get closer to Halloween, we will add a few spooky lights and some real jack-o-lanterns. I should have taken a before picture, but truthfully...I waited too long. Imagine the chair in green with several pots of summer flowers that were past their prime and a spring colored birdhouse that is a tall skinny church. Blah. This is better.

     I'm joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch today for Met Monday. I love Susan's blog. Her weekly events are always fun and worth the visit. I also discovered yesterday (when I finally clicked the Stats button) that many of the people who visit my blog, come straight from her blog. I'm very grateful for the blog traffic that comes my way because of Susan!  

23 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh your decorations look really lovely and ready for Fall. Great job.

Hugs XX
Barbara
Moore Whimsies

Lynn said...

Looks great and very welcoming! I like the new chair color!

Blondie's Journal said...

It's definitely looking like fall around your house. Love the painted chair and table and all of your fall/Halloween decorations. I had better get busy!!

We are up in Michigan and there are leaves on the ground!! Wow...first REAL signs of fall!! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Sue, that looks fantastic! So festive! I love what you've done here, the chair and table look great!

LindyLouMac said...

Lovely ideas and the old furniture is brilliant, but I cannot bear to think about Halloween coming.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty! It is great that you have the table your FIL made. I have not even started Fall decorating.

Laurie and Chris said...

Your porch looks great! I love the chair painted cream. Great choice.

gena said...

I really love the cozy, Fall look you've achieved with these special heirloom pieces !

Thanks for sharing,
gena
www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

J Rodney said...

I love it Sue! Your really have a talent for decorating, and everything looks amazing!

The Charm of Home said...

That is very cute. I love the lettered board and the chair. It all looks great.
Sherry

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Sue Sweetie...
Everything looks so beautiful. I love the little table and how sweet that your FIL had made it, makes it special, and it does look beautiful white, with all the decorations, and the little chair, LOVE IT. How festive it looks at your home. I would say it is beginning to look a lot like FALL.

We are still having triple digits here in Phoenix. If I put a pumpkin out, other than fake, it would be flat in a day from the heat. Yesterday it was 106 in the shade of the patio.

Oh and I love the trellis, right down to the acorns. What a beautiful job you did.

Many hugs sweetie and so much love, Sherry

dee dee said...

Your front porch is perfectly dressed for this time of year! I love that you have used so many things you've already had... proving you don't have to spend alot for a big impact!
Dee Dee

La said...

Your porch looks Fall-fabulous! Good job! La

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

What a treasure that little table is! I have a small bookcase my Daddy made that is similar.
LOVE what you did with your decorating, it looks wonderful.
(())
Francie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sue, what treasures you found there! That's so neat, and it's particularly neat that the table was made by your FIL. Like the other chair you use for decorating, too.

I am quickly blogging to ask for prayers for Fred tomorrow. I wrote more details on my blog, but we are leaving in a little while to go to the hotel at Mayo in Jacksonville.

Thanks for prayers.

XOXOXO,

Sheila :-)

koralee said...

So looks like you are ready for a new season! I am in love with all your sweetness on that porch. xoxoxo

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Oh my I love the outside of you home... so full of Autumn delights. YOur big pumpkin is spectacular!!!!

Angie said...

Sue, this is beautiful! What great work :)

xinex said...

What a welcoming and pretty Fall decor, Sue. Love the primitive furniture. You did a great job!...Christine

bj said...

G'morning, sister friend..I love your cute front porch with the fallness added.
I'm still too much in SUMMER MODE to think of fall but it is supposed to be in the middle 80's here today instead near a 100. Maybe fall is coming here sooner than I thought. :))

Shellbelle said...

Your porch came out wonderful and your subway art fits in perfectly! That is such a cool project, I have to give it a try one day. I am most impressed with you FIL's table, what a treasure to own and display. He must feel so proud.

I know I've been MIA, but things are really looking up! I'm moving back to Florida at the end of the month — to Jacksonville! Thanks for your friendship and your kind words, you have no idea how much it means to me.

Monica H said...

Your porch is too cute! We have a small porch too and it's covered but there are garden patches on either sid eof the door that get watered with sprinklers so the porch usually gets wet. usually I just potted plants on each side or some pretty flowers and a doormat and that's it, but I love your porch! I'll have to live vicariously through you til we move in a few years :-)

BrightenedBoy said...

Your Fall decorations are so festive and must really get you int the mood of the season.

I always welcome the change towards winter, and with it all the wonderful holidays of celebration that come along.