Thursday, September 30, 2010

Yes We're Going to a Party, Party-Tablescape Thursday


     My sister turned 50 over the weekend! It was a great excuse to get the family together and celebrate. We decided to have appetizers and dessert at my house, we went to our local "fancy place" for dinner.

     My sis and I are extremely close and so different from each other. We often say that together, we make one great person. She is the laid back sister, I'm a control freak. She is high, high heels and I'm ballerina flats. She is animal print and I'm a turtleneck and jeans. She is also the one person that I know I can call anytime and just say, "I need you" and she wouldn't even ask why...she'd just get in the car and head my way. The past few months have been really hard for our family and if anything it has only brought us closer as sisters. I feel very blessed to have her in my life.



     I decided not to use all the typical black, over-the-hill items that one usually sees for a 50th. I went more with a girly-girl theme using pink and black. I found the paper napkins at our local party store and did the rest of the table around them.


     For appetizer plates I used a combination of plain black (Wal-Mart) and these darling pink trimmed plates that I won in a giveaway last year from Barbara @ Purple Goat Lady. The wine glasses are a mix of pink and clear with black stems. Both were garage sale finds. Dad found the silk black rose to add to the table.



Every diva needs a crown!


...and roses!


     The menu was very simple, we had a big dinner planned. A little cheese and fruit on my granite cheese board. See that cute little starfish knife, part of a recent giveaway win from Kat @ Low Tide High Style. I also got a beautiful sea urchin candle, a starfish handtowel and some yummy lemonade mix. What a fun package to open. Thanks Kat!


Crab bites and a Mexican dip finished out the appetizers.


Rubbing in the big "50"!


     My sister collects wine stoppers. We found one that matched the napkins. The black table runner and sparkly beads added to the "glam" of the table.


     We headed to the restaurant for dinner. I could only reach a few of our plates with my camera, but I thought I'd share them. My dad had scallops with the best risotto I've ever tasted. 


I opted for mussels...yummy!


My husband's beef strogonoff.


    Then it was back home for coffee and dessert. We had the Caramel Apple Strata that I posted the recipe for on Tuesday as well as the Flourless Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce that you see above. The recipe will be posted for Foodie Friday tomorrow. It was a fun evening. We all really missed my mom. It was our first happy event without her, but we are also very grateful to have each other.


Happy Birthday to my sweet sis! I hope you have many more!

I'm joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
for Tablescape Thursday. Please stop by to say hello to her.



20 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, happy birthday to your sister who looks awesome for 50!! How sweet of you to have them over for dessert and fun after dinner.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh what a blessing to have a sister so close and such a great friend. She is gorgeous and it sounds like such a fun evening. I know it was all bittersweet without your mom. Your table is so cute with all the 50 decorations. Hugs, Marty

Marigene said...

Fifty is nifty...happy birthday to your sister!
Another great table...the food looks delicious.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What fun...and yummy-looking food, too! Happy birthday to your sis!! Have a great weekend...hugs...Debbie

Kathleen said...

I am you, and none of my 3 sis are your sis, LOL! Funny the make up of siblings!
Looks like a great time, and such a festive table. So glad your dad was there to celebrate the big 5 0 with all of you!
Have to go back and check that recipe!

Chubby Chieque said...

What a gorgeous sis you have. It looks your having a wonderful time together.

FAmily stays together is a pricelss moment.

Hmmm... I can't wait for your recipe. I have apples that I don't know what to do.

Have a happy TS Day.

Greetings from chilly STOCKHOLMER,
/chie

Jeanette said...

Happy belated birthday to your sister! What a festive table you set and the food looks yummy!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Everything looks yummy!!
Happy Birthday to your Sister.

Anonymous said...

What a great celebration, Sue! A belated Happy 50th to your sis!

Relyn Lawson said...

So if 50 is the new 40, does that mean that I really only just turned 30?

Suits me!

Alycia Nichols said...

What a wonderful gesture to celebrate your sister's big day!!! Very creative to use the pink with the black to make it more chic than cryptic! I like it!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I'm sure that your sister must have treasured this special celebration! What a sweet sister you are to make her day so special

Entertaining Women said...

The first year is so hard...every single day is a first something without your mom. I admire you for celebrating your sister with such a sweet party. I know that your mom was smiling! Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Tess said...

What a nice party!! The birthday rule with my sisters is the same...fancy dinner out and then dessert at our house. We just said good bye to my youngest sister as she makes a major move across country.

Sisters are wonderful and it looks like your celebration was great.

Lyneen said...

What wonderful birthday evening for your SIS... Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I think it is awesome you have such a wonderful relationship. I have a similar one with my sisters. The last few years we have lived in different states which makes it hard. The phone helps a lot. Sisters are a girls best friend!!!

La said...

Happy Birthday to your sister. I like that 50 is the new 40 since I am turning the big 5-0 in January.

Have a great weekend! La

Pondside said...

What a great day you gave your sister! I loved reading you take on the differences between you and wonder what her take on them would be.

Jenny said...

I'm so glad you have a sister like this. How fortunate for you both that you have the support and love you need during joyful and tough times.

This looks like a beautiful party. Can you share the crab bites recipe sometime? It looks like something my family would love!

You are such a wonderful cook and hostess. Your love and care shows in everything you do.

J Rodney said...

It sounds like a wonderful celebration Sue, and what a fantastic table you set for the occasion. Your sister sure does not look like she just turned 50. Happy belated birthday to your sister!

Monica H said...

Happy birthday to your sister!

What a fun birthday tablescape.