Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Caramel Apple Strata-So Good, Oh Yeah!

     Sunday my dad and I had a little family "party" for my sister's 50th birthday. We had appetizers and desserts at my house, and we went out for dinner. I'll share more of the party later this week. Today I'm going to show you one of the desserts I made.


     How many of you have recipes like this? I jotted this from a magazine (on a paper napkin) while at the hospital with my niece a few weeks ago. I don't know what magazine, so I can't credit the recipe. If anyone finds it, let me know.

Caramel Apple Strata

Ingredients:
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter cubed
1/4 cup corn syrup

3 large apples, peeled and chopped
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. sugar
1 tsp. apple pie spice
1 loaf day old cinnamon bread
1/2 cup chopped pecans
10 eggs
1 cup 2 percent milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened, and set aside. (I found 2 minutes was a bit too long, my sauce was almost candy-next time I will remove it from the heat a little sooner)



In a small bowl combine apples, lemon juice, sugar and apple pie spice.


In a greased 9 x 13 pan arrange 1/2 the bread slices.


Spoon the apple mixture on top of the
bread and drizzle with half of the caramel sauce.
Top with pecans.


Top with a second layer of bread.


     In large bowl combine eggs, milk, salt and vanilla. Pour over top of casserole, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining caramel sauce. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking the next day. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving. Mine set out of the oven while we went to dinner. Heat remaining caramel sauce and drizzle over the strata. Cut into squares and serve alone or with a good quality vanilla ice cream.


My family loved this one!


This could also be served for brunch.

13 comments:

Drawn to The Sea said...

And here I sit, haven't had breakfast yet... this must smell wonderful!

dee dee said...

I'm sold! This recipe sound yummy!
Dee Dee

Judy@judyfriendphotography.com said...

It sure would go great with my cup of tea right now. I will be sure to try it out. Jude

Sandra said...

That looks yummy!
Blessings,
Sandra

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OMG Sue,
That look so very wonderful!
Got to try that!
Cindy

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Oh my! That looks so good - Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sue said...

That looks good! You've got me taking pictures of restaurant food.. especially on vacation. Food is an important part of any vacation, it makes sense to take pictures of the nicer dishes.

Pondside said...

Oh-my-goodness...this looks wonderful. I'd have to walk all the rest of the day to justify it, but it would be worth it!

Monica H said...

I'll have to show this one to my mom, I bet she'd love this.

bj said...

Oh, yummy...thanks for this recipe 'cause I like anything made with apples. It sounds wonderful...:))

Gypsy Heart said...

This is definitely a winner! I know it must be decadent and that everyone will love it when I make it. Thanks so much for sharing!

xoxo
Pat

Kathleen said...

I don't what mag it is from, but my friend gave me that one a few years ago called Breakfast Strata, so don't worry about giving credit!
It looks delicious.

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh. MY. GOSH! Forget apple crisp - this looks marvelous! Seriously, I want to thank you for the recipe. You are such a thoughtful friend. Thank you!!! I'll make it soon and let you know how it goes.