Monday, September 20, 2010

A Little Comfort Food, A Little Bargain Hunting and A Blogging Friend's Success


     I wish I could tell you that these beautiful blue flowers are in my yard. They aren't. They were actually at my local grocery store in huge pots. I didn't buy them because they don't match anything I have on my porch or deck, but I fell in love with the color and just had to share them.

     I finally found a desk at a neighborhood garage sale. I want to replace my one drawer desk and my dad loves having a project to work on while he is here. It was $15 and it came with the hutch top which I won't use with the desk because I don't want to block my window view.


I am going to use the hutch in my dish room once it is painted.
I'll keep you posted with the progress.


     I cook more when my dad is here. I also had the grandsons overnight on Saturday night. I decided to try a new recipe of an old favorite, Mac and Cheese. I got the recipe from the book Roast Mortem by Cleo Coyle. Her Coffee House Mystery series is a favorite of mine.

Penne Mac & Cheese
1 pound dry penne pasta (cook according to package for al dente)
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese
1 cup grated mild cheddar cheese
5 1/3 T. butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cups whole milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees-grease 3 qt. casserole. Cook pasta, drain and put in casserole dish.


In separate bowl mix the three cheeses together. Set aside.


     Melt butter in saucepan. Remove from heat. Add salt, pepper, flour, Worcestershire sauce and stir until smooth. Gradually add milk. Return pan to stove and stir constantly over medium heat until mixture boils. Reduce heat and stir until sauce thickens.


     Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 of the cheese mixture. Stir until smooth and pour over the pasta. Do not stir the pasta and sauce. I did have to press on the pasta a little bit to force a little of the sauce down into the casserole dish so it would overflow.


Top with the remaining cheese.


Bake 20-25 minutes until brown and bubbly.


Enjoy...it is yummy.


One of my favorite blog friends is Kat @ Low Tide High Style.
Kat not only loves the water the way I do, she has been a
very supportive friend to me and I'm sure to many others.


The current issue of Romantic Country is available right now.
I got mine at Wal-Mart.


See that...Kat's name in the magazine. She has a featured article...a must read!


Way to go Kat! How exciting!

I am joining today with:

Sally @ Smiling Sally for Blue Monday
 Mary @ Little Red House for Mosaic Monday
Linda @ Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Please visit all of these lovely ladies and enjoy their blog events.




24 comments:

La said...

I don't know what is more beautiful, the blue flowers or that sinful looking mac n cheese. WOW! La

SmilingSally said...

Love those blue blooms.

Happy Blue Monday, Sue! Check out my book giveaway.

SmilingSally said...

Please add the link to Blue Monday:

http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/

Ann said...

Hi Sue,
I love the blue flowers...I'll have a look at my grocer and nursery to see what I can find. They would look great in my garden...pastel colors.
Also, what a great price on your desk and hutch!!
Fondly,
Ann
@
The Tattered Tassel

ch said...

That mac and cheese looks sooo good! Love those flowers too! I bought some at home depot a few weeks ago and planted them in my planter outside. Sadly the flowers are gone. I pinched the dead ones and I'm hoping more will bloom soon.
thanks for sharing.
Have a great week!

dee dee said...

Oh wow Sue,
I'm drooling over your mac and cheese... 100 steps above the Kraft Shells and Cheese Madison made for dinner the other night!
I can't wait to see what you do with both the desh and hutch (which seems to be the perfect addition to your dish room!)
It has gotten hot here again, and I keep forgetting (lazy) to water my mums. I afraid that I might have to get more at this rate! Love the flowers you posted!
I've picked this magazine up at my local library, how cool to say you know a featured writer!
Have a great week!
Dee Dee

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
Thanks for coming by today, good to hear from you.
I have missed a lot, cause for some reason you are not coming up on my dashboard. Anyway, those blue flowers are gorgeous, and your mac n'cheese
looks divine!!
Also your table was very pretty, love the beauty and the beast tea set. Those cups are so darn cute!! Love them!!
Also like your new blog look. You have been a busy girl.
That must have been so fun having your lil grandson sleeping with you, even if he does kick. I remember those days with my kids.

We have fun like that when our grandogs stay
with us, course, they don't kick, but one of them can't get on the bed so she sleeps on our reclining loveseat, but scratches on the side of my bed and wakes me up to sleep with her.
She always sleep with my son. I think it is so cute!! Course, after days of it I lose a lot of sleep.
I was just reading your profile and died laughing when you said you were still trying to figure out what you wanted to do when you grow up. I say that same thing........I like so many things I could never make up my mind.
Have a great week hon,
Congrats to your friend on being featured in
Romantic homes mags. That is so neat!!
Blessings, Nellie

BrightenedBoy said...

I really want to dig into that macaroni and cheese.

I think I'm going to try your chicken noodle soup recipe sometime this fall!

And as to what I imagined you like: your posts about cooking and interior decorating remind me of my grandmother, so I visualized you being older than you are, with fair skin and gray hair. In the blogosphere, where you often never see what some people actually look like, personalities can take on appearances of their own in our minds.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Beautiful flowers! The mac & cheese looks so good. Would love to have some, but got blood work coming up, so guess I better behave. :-D

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You commented just as I was here. :-D There is only one way to report outages here, and it is so automated, you can't get thru to a live human. It was set up like this after the storm that came thru in July, 2003 "Hurrican Elvis", did so much damage and outages for extremely long periods of time. So many complaints were filed because of lack of communication, etc., this was their answer on how to handle the calls.
Anxious to see how you desk turns out.
Enjoy your evening.

Lynn said...

The flowers are so vibrant! Love mac and cheese, I actually have some Pepper Jack in the fridge I was going to add to mac and cheese today or tomorrow-we'll see how that turns out! Can't wait to see the finished desk and hutch:@)

Sue said...

Sue, That macaroni and cheese casserole looks delish! I've never made it leaving extra cheese on top- I think the browned cheese top looks crusty and yummy. Great price on your desk/hutch. Have fun with its re-do.
~ Sue

Blondie's Journal said...

I like the desk. I still have my son's and I never thought about using the hutch...Hmmmmm!

The mac and cheese looks so good, I love those crusty parts! Thanks for the recipe!!

I heard the news about Kat and I can't wait to find the magazine in my store!

xoxo
Jane

xinex said...

Great buy on the beautiful desk and hutch, Sue. Why can't I find something like that so I can sell it in my store, lol. Those flowers are gorgeous!...Christine

Donnie said...

The flowers really match the meme but the macaroni adn cheese was made for me.......yum

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, that mac and cheese looks so good. I am sure it was delicious. Kat is a great blog friend and I have got to go get that magazine.

Relyn Lawson said...

I tell you what, Sue. I never come here that I don't leave completely inspired. Thank you!

Maria said...

Hi Sue! Wow... you've been busy with projects! I will look forward to seeing this hutch! Everyone "out here" is so talented... it's my "living magazine"

Your mac and cheese looks so delish... such comfort food, isn't it?!

Congrats to you friend... another talented person making fabulous use of God's gifts!
Enjoy the week!
~bless you, Sue~
*Maria

bj said...

Ummm, Mac and Cheese. I also have a great recipe that we like...the grands? They still want the boxed kind. :))

Love the desk and hutch...
xo bj

Pondside said...

I'm trying to figure out if I've visited here before - but I don't want to miss any more posts, so I'll be your newest follower.
I enjoyed this visit!

Gypsy Heart said...

Hmmmmmm, the mac & cheese looks and sounds delish! Wish I had some of it right now. Will have to check out the magazine...I'm not familiar with her blog so will check that too. I so wish I could find a desk like that to re-do ~ you've given me a super idea! I can't wait to see what you do with both pieces. I'm sure your Dad will do something beautiful ~

Have a great week my friend!
xoxo
Pat

dtbrents said...

I'm planning to make the mac and cheese. It sounds great. Your pictures are beautiful. I love the desk you found. I never go to garage sales. I need to get up early on Sat morning and visit some. Doylene

Kathleen said...

I can't wait to see what Dad does with the desk. I bet he loves staying with you!
Hey congrats on winning over at Mary's. I know her as Mary, you say Mari! She used to have a blog I was part of.

Sophie said...

OMG! That mac looks so good, but I would get so sick trying it :(