Friday, July 8, 2011

Dessert-Guilt Free!

     I'm one of those people that hates fat free products. I'd rather not eat, than eat something that tastes funny and is full of chemicals. I will drink diet soda, but that is about it. So, this is a surprising dessert coming from me. I realize that it is a bowl of things that really aren't food, but sometimes if you want to lose a few pounds and you want to still have your sweets...you compromise. The one thing this doesn't compromise on, is the taste. It is really delicious and so simple to pull together.


     This was our dessert for the 4th of July. I usually just sprinkle the fruit on top, but I got slightly creative on the 4th. It was just the 2 of us, so I didn't worry about it looking perfect.


You need 2 boxes of Jell-o, instant sugar free pudding.


One 12 oz. container of Cool Whip Free, thawed.


1 angel food cake bar (you could use an angel food cake).


Whisk the pudding with 4 cups of skim milk for 2 minutes, until it starts to thicken.
 Fold in the Cool Whip.


Cut the cake into cubes.


In a pretty bowl, place a layer of cubes.


Top with a layer of the "filling" and
sprinkle on whatever fruit you have on hand.



Repeat until your bowl is full, ending with fruit on top. (I did 3 layers)
This dessert gets better as it sits in the refrigerator.
You really can't tell that it is very low in calories and fat.


I am joining Michael @ Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday.
The best place to look for yummy food in Blogland!

11 comments:

Susan Freeman said...

Looks yummy!

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Rettabug said...

Easy~Peasy~Strawberry-Blueberry~Squeezy! Yummo!

Barbara F. said...

Beautiful, delicious, easy, and diet, too. Love it. xo

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks good ! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Blondie's Journal said...

I have trifle dish I have never used. Time to get on it. This is beautiful, Sue!

XO,
Jane

bj said...

Trifles are one of my favorites...
Thanks for giving us this easy recipe..:)

Traci said...

I've been doing so well on my diet but I have been missing sweets. This looks & sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Natasha in Oz said...

Hi Sue! It's so nice to see you! I hope you have been well. It looks like you have been keeping busy and doing lots of cooking. I love the sound of this yummy trifle. I am going to make one as soon as it starts getting warmer here.

Best wishes and happy weekend,
Natasha.

Patrice said...

Can I eat the whole thing and still be guilt free????

Angie said...

What a delicious and refreshing looking trifle, Sue! I may have to try this one :)

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Wow, Sue that trifle looks wonderful,
and sounds so refreshing. I really do love trifle but I rarely make it
since we can't eat coolwhip anymore.
that is the one thing we have not found a heart healthy replacement for yet! I so miss our jello salads especially this time of year.

Take Care,
Blessings, Nellie