Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Tree 2013 and Topper Tutorial

 
     Of all my posts since I started blogging, the two most popular are my tutorials on making a tree topper and tying a bow. You can find both on my sidebar. I took a little blogging break (unplanned) but I didn't take a break from decorating for Christmas! When I started getting messages asking me where the tree topper for this year was, I decided the break was over. I actually liked my tree decorations last year so much, for the first time I considered using the same theme two years in a row. I did repeat some of my decorations, but I did use ornaments this year along with lots of red, polka dots and bright green.

 
     I found these fun red, green and polka dot balls and used them as the starting point for my topper. They look a little alien to me, but happy.
 
 
Red glittered twigs make the next layer.

 
Another layer, this time with green sticks.

 
     The bunches of sparkling green leaves are added to fill in the front of the topper and are placed slightly lower than the other "ingredients". At this point, using a fine wire, tightly wrap all of the layers together leaving long tails of wire on each side. Don't worry if things seem too close together, once it is on the tree you can pull and adjust the spray of twigs and leaves. Wire the topper to the top of your tree and then add your bows. Just a reminder from past tutorials, many people only put one bow on the top of their tree at the base of the tree topper. I always use 3 or 4 bows (this year I used 3). Tie the bows about the same size and wire them evenly around the top of the tree. It makes your topper much prettier from all sides.

 
 

 
     I used ornaments in green and red/white stripes along with redbirds, ice crystal covered twigs and some wispy green roping that I cut into pieces and layered around the tree for texture.
 


 
     Of course I think a tree is prettiest in the dark, but the picture below shows it in the daylight. I was happy to find polka dot wrapping paper and ribbon too.
 
 
     I don't know about the rest of you, but it certainly feels like Christmas is coming quickly this year. My shopping is done and my packages are wrapped, so I feel like I can breathe a little bit now.
 
     Thank you to those of you who worried about me. We were very lucky when the tornadoes hit our area a couple of weeks ago. The closest was about 20 miles away and we certainly were hiding in our basement. We lost our big Bradford Pear tree in the front yard and had enough roof damage that the roof has to be replaced. I have been dealing with insurance, tree cutters and adjusters and we are still in the process of trying to get things done. So many others in Illinois lost their homes and loved ones that we feel very blessed to only need a roof.
 
     I am anxious to see all of your decorations. Thanks for visiting!
 
I am joining Kim @ Savvy Southern Style for
Wow Us Wednesdays


11 comments:

Lynn said...

Your topper is beautiful Sue, I love that big red bow! Congrats on having Christmas under control, I envy you:@)

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

I have been thinking about you , Sue, glad you are doing ok there!
Love your decorations....can I hire you??? And no, I am not finished shopping!! Let alone wrapping!! But I am only having 20 for Christmas dinner this year....guess I better make my grocery list!

Blondie's Journal said...

Welcome back! Just in time to show us your tree and teach us a few tricks! I don't remember this tree topper but I would love to try it. Hubby will never part with our "vintage" angel so maybe I'll have to get another tree! I remember your bow tutorial though and I'm going to have to go back and have a look at that.

I'm so glad to hear that you didn't have more damage than what you did from the storms but that is pretty bad. Dealing with insurance companies is never a smooth ride. I hope things are wrapping soon. And good for you on getting your Christmas shopping and decorating out of the way so soon. I am just starting to shop and we are getting the tree this weekend. I have so many other things going on, I think I would be slacking off if I tried to do that fun stuff now! lol!

Hope all is well with you. Now let's see what goodies you are making for the holidays!! :)

XO,
Jane

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Pretty tree and beautiful topper. Wow, you are finished? I haven't started shopping yet.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Love the bows. Your tree looks perfect- it's beautiful!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

It is SO pretty, Sue! Great job!

xo

Sheila

Red Couch Recipes said...

Glad you are okay. Your tree topper is so fun, and you make it look so easy. Love it. I need one -- I have nothing on mine:).

nannykim said...

First of all, I am glad you are ok, but it is such work to get a good roofing job these days. Normally when we have replaced our roof it is good for about 5 years and then where the guys made slight goofs it starts to leak. Fortunately we are no longer in that old house ;-).

The tree is beautiful and I love the look with the presents--pretty together. I had to chuckle , however, because my tree basically had nothing on top and the men in my house said, "you need something on top" so I stuck a cross up there which does not really look quite right ...I just did it to satisfy the men (not that they really are !).

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your tree is so pretty!!!!
I did not realize the severe weather was that close to you. Glad to read you are ok.

Unknown said...


Really lush designs! Brings the strong evergreen of Christmas in all the warm and rich ways. Sad to hear about your roof. You know, it's really one of the contradictions of trees where they may give breadth and add support, but they can also be a hindrance to structure. Hope you get the proper roofing methods to anticipate these impacts of nature.

Toby @ Tittle Brothers Construction

Rettabug said...

GORGEOUS tree topper!! I will have to try making one for next year.
Thanks for showing us how!

Belated "Happy Birthday", Hon...sounds like it was wonderful. I believe in celebrating all month long!