Tuesday, March 20, 2012

This and That

     When I had my plate ready for dinner last night, I knew I had to share it with all of you. It was a simple turkey sandwich, a salad of baby greens, beets, goat cheese and a sprinkle of sunflower and pumpkin seeds and roasted asparagus. However, the bread really made the plate. We bought it at our local grocery store on Sunday and it was still warm when we bought it-rainbow bread, so pretty!


     I don't have anything exciting to share with you today, just a few things that have been on my mind lately. You may be bored by my random thoughts.

     I've been reading things about Pinterest and the possible legal problems associated with using it. I'm trying to decide if I want to continue to use the site. It hardly seems worth being sued just to save a few recipes and pretty pictures.

     I am a person with fairly strong political opinions. I choose not to write about them often on my blog. I used to be part of a writing website where we wrote opinon pieces and had major discussions...sometimes I miss that. I will say that the robo calls from Mitt Romney have been coming in at least 5-8 times a day at my house for the past week. I can't imagine that anyone actually gets all these calls and decides to vote because of them. Everyone I know, regardless of their politics finds these calls annoying!


     I've been watching the news about the teenager that was shot by a "neighborhood watch" member in Florida. The teen was "armed" with iced tea and Skittles. He was apparently doing nothing wrong according to the 911 calls. The man who shot him hasn't been arrested or had his gun taken away. I don't get it. 

     As I type this, there has been another 7.6 earthquake in Mexico. It has happened in tourist areas and it is spring break. My thoughts are with those who are involved.

     I've been trying to spend time reading blogs today. The change in the "code words" that we have to type in to some blogs to post comments have become almost impossible for my eyes to read. Am I the only one having this issue?



     Today is my daughter's last day at the Disney resort where she has been working. She has a few days vacation time and then she starts a new project at Disney.  She and a small group of managers from various Disney hotels have been selected to be on the opening team for the new Disney Resort, The Art of Animation. It is opening in phases beginning in May and it is going to be a wonderful Disney experience. It is an honor for my daughter to be a part of this team and she is very excited even though she is in for some very hard work and long hours over the next few months. You can read about the new resort here!

     We are still enjoying summer in March here in Illinois. I hope it is as beautiful where you are!

    



14 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I have never seen this bread before. Too pretty to eat.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

that bread is so fun!! ...salad looks good too ! hehe
And I totally agree about the phone calls...any automatic phone calls...I hate them!

Barbara F. said...

That bread is gorgeous. I never saw rainbow bread. I bet kids love it! I agree with you about those annoying political calls and word verification. Both need to disappear! I had not heard about the earthquake in Mexico, it seems like the earth does not want to settle down. I love your spring background. xo

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I have seen rainbow bread, but not in those colors. More often than not, if word verification is required I don't leave a comment. I have had problems with spam in the past and "comment moderation" works for me.
I have snooped around Pinterest - found some of my pics on there !?! But have not joined and probably won't now - have since read to much about legal issues involved.
If I answer the phone and no one responds immediately(going to a computerized call), and/or any type robo call I hang up.
Hope your daughter enjoys her new job! Had not heard about the earthquake - been out most of the day.

Unknown said...

Rainbow bread is a new one for me, but I bet it would entice even the fussiest eater to give it a try.

I have been having a time with those code words as well. So you aren't alone there. I was thinking it was just these old eyes getting showing their age.

Ohio has been enjoying the same weather as you. It is driving me to distraction and about all I get done is spinning my wheels and thinking about what I should be doing and what I want to do because of the weather.

Marigene said...

I am glad we got rid of our house phone, no robo calls on the cell...yet!
I don't understand why the man who murdered the young black man hasn't been arrested, either.
I dumped Pinterest after reading about it on Rett's blog. There are enough headaches each day without adding to them.
I have been thinking and praying for all in the earthquake.
The code words are as annoying as the ones with music, click to read more, etc!
Your meal looks delicious...even the flashy bread, Sue!

Blondie's Journal said...

I have never seen bread like this! It's SO colorful! I bet the little kiddies would love it. Your dinner looks delicious...I love baby greens.

I just read about the Florida teen. It is raising a lot of fury all around. I hope there is an arrest soon. I have to read about the earthquake, I know there was one in San Antonio. Big day for news and not all that pleasant. At least we are having good weather. It is 80 degrees in my house and our air conditioners are not in yet {we have the window units in this old house}. If I did I think I would have them on. I have such a hard time sleeping in the heat.

Happy Spring! ;-D

dee dee said...

Sue,
What a fantastic honor for your daughter to be part of the new resort! I'm sure she is excited too!

Rainbow bread... almost to pretty to eat! I do have to share with you that I've never acquired a taste for beets... but the salad minus the beets... yummy!

We got rid of the land line during our move... no more annoying calls!
It is a scary world we live in where a kid can be shot over nothing and people can be sued over "pinning" pretty photos.

And the word identification... I give it two tries... if I don't get it after two... then I don't leave a message.

Enjoy the early spring my friend!
dee dee

NanaDiana said...

The bread looks great. And that is just awful about that kid that got shot. You wonder what the world is coming to sometimes! xo Diana

koralee said...

Yum...and I adore that bread..what fun. Thank you for your sweet comments you left on my blog the other day...what a blessing you are to me. xoxo

LindyLouMac said...

Enjoyed catching up with what is going on in your world. I have never seen such fun looking bread how do they do it? As for Pinterest, this is one site I have managed to stay well away from though I do wonder if any of my images are on there. :)

Gypsy Heart said...

LOVE the bread! I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to do it without "handling" the dough too much. The salad is to die for! I adore great salads but mine never seem to taste like what I want. :-)

I cannot begin to fathom why this guy has not been arrested and charged with murder. That poor kid! Completely innocent and so very sad for his family.

Well, you know my thoughts re: Pinterest. I did delete my boards. I figure I can go there and look for recipes but I don't want to be involved in the "possible" legal problems...even down the road. Seems there's always someone that wants to sue for $$$.

Word verification should be banned! I cannot stand it and the eye strain is totally unnecessary.

Congrats to your daughter! That is a great opportunity for her.

Have a great night!
xo
Pat

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue
I lost track of you somehow. I am going to subscribe so I can get your posts in email. I just figured out how to put that on my sidebar,after all these years. I lost a lot of readers when Google made "improvements", however my blog is still in Google Reader (at least for now) and can be added there, even though I can't have the Friend Connect. I hope the email subscription helps the old Back Porch get through yet another change.;-)

I am seriously thinking of deleting my boards at Pinterest. I hemmed and hawed around for several months before putting anything on there, then the litigation thing came up and it worries me a tad.

I do not like those robo calls!

I do not like word verfication!

I cannot figure out about that guy in FL either. Why!!

Congratulations to your daughter!

And lastly...that is the prettiest bread I have ever seen.

Jenny said...

That bread looks so fun! I made rainbow pancakes with the Grandlittles over spring break. One batch of batter divided into 7 little bowls...ROY G. BIV would have been quite happy with our production!

The world does seem weird of late.

Sometimes I just want to hide away and try to remember how things are supposed to be.