Monday, March 5, 2012

Oh No You Didn't!


     Oh yes, I did! Do you see this copy of Midwest Living that came in the mail on Friday? I was thumbing through it Friday evening while my husband and son were gone picking up our grandsons for the weekend.


     I've been eating healthy foods for the past few weeks, but when I got to this page...I just had to stop and see where this place was located! It was meant to be. Incredibly Delicious is located in Springfield, IL and we already had a road trip planned to Springfield with the boys on Saturday! I knew that I was taking a healthy food break and it was worth every bite!


     See this? This is the most delicious Flourless Chocolate Cake that I have ever tasted. I tried many in my day, I've even made a few and never have I had one with this texture. So many times flourless chocolate cake has a very thick texture that almost gets stuck in your throat. This melted, made me purr with joy and I had no trouble eating every bite. It was chocolate perfection and believe me, after spending the entire day with my husband, my son and my two grandsons...I needed a chocolate fix.


     This piece of deliciousness was what my husband brought home with him. Loaded with apples, blueberries and we think cherries...he said it was the perfect mix of sweet, tart and crumbly.


     Of course we had to have a little snack while we were there. The guys all had cookies, but after reading the article...I had this glorious chocolate croissant. Oh yes...crispy with just the right amount of chocolate. Yummy!


     Incredibly Delicious is located on the main floor of an 1845 Italianate mansion in Springfield's Aristocracy Hill, near Abraham Lincoln's home and historic area. It is owned by Patrick Groth, who is also the chef. He and his family live above the bakery.  


     They also have a daily lunch menu, which on Saturday looked simply amazing. It just wasn't what two little guys 3 and 5 had in mind. I wanted everything on the menu!


     As you enter the building, you place your order for either lunch or pastries. You then take your lunch to one of the rooms in the house to eat. We just carried out our treats. There was a line, but it moved quickly and I would wait in a much longer line to be so rewarded.


     The real reason we went to Springfield was to take the boys to the Scheel's Sporting Goods store. It is really the largest store I've ever seen. My guys all are sports nuts (see why I was so excited about the bakery) and I'm not. I will say that even I was impressed with this store. When you walk in the door, you first notice the large ferris wheel.


You also can't miss the beautiful aquarium,
which is formed into an archway to walk under.


     The store has several Audio-Animatronic displays of presidents that speak, an airplane hanging from the ceiling, race cars you can drive, bowling, golf and every brand of clothing and shoe you could possible want.


They also have a restaurant, Starbucks,
homemade fudge, ice cream and gelato.


     Our youngest grandson and my son had a wonderful time on the ferris wheel, our older grandson is 5 and he was scared to death to even have his dad ride it. The guys all loved the store, I found a bench and dreamed of the flourless chocolate cake I would have when I got home!

Don't forget to sign up for my vintage GIVEAWAY!



11 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Yum! Those desserts looks so good!!
I am not into sports, and would go to a sport store only if to buy a gift for someone, but that place looks like a fun place to visit. Just don't put me on the ferris wheel! :D

Blondie's Journal said...

Wow! What a great place! I would have definitely brought some goodies home with me! It's a beautiful building, too. Believe it or not, I have only been to Springfield once! I should subscribe to Midwest Living...hubby and I love day trips. The sports store looks like fun, and yes, it is huge. Looks like everyone had a good time!! :)

XO,
Jane

NanaDiana said...

Okay- I just drooled into my keyboard. What a wonderful daytrip you had! One worth repeating! xo Diana

nannykim said...

I have been off line for a while with computer problems and what happens when I come back and visit you?? You tempt me with flourless chocolate cake! I love it!! I have had some good ones in my day!!

Low Tide High Style said...

Wow, you found 2 great places to hit up in one day! Those treats look delicious and I would love to find a good flourless cake recipe since we've recently gone gluten free. And that sports store is amazing! Your grandson is so cute!

Kat :)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

The goodies in your post are making me drool! Oh I could use a sweet treat right now. Happy to hear you are back on the veggie wagon!
Thank you for your kind note!
Yvonne

Angie said...

How adorable is that place?! Love the space, and the croissant looks fantastic. We had a Scheels in the mall I grew up going to...it certainly wasn't that big and didn't have a ferris wheel when I was a kid...lucky thing since they still frighten me to this day :)

bj said...

wow...they look amazing. Beautiful place.

I received the CD yesterday...Mr. Sweet is very happy. :) Thanks again.
xo bj

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Oh my...these food pics look sooooo yummy.

Blessings,
Linda

Barb said...

Hi Sue, oh my goodness....how delicious all the goodies look!

I still remember the wonderful cookies I won from you. Yummy!

Looks like a wonderful place to visit.

Barb ♥

dee dee said...

Hmmmmmm Sue.... I'm thinking road trip! You know that Wayne and I drive for good food! I'm with you, send me some chocolate!
Looks like your field trip with the little ones went well!
Have a wonderful week...
dee dee