Thursday, March 1, 2012

Make New Friends But Keep The Old...

     Facebook has been a wonderful thing for my high school class. I was one of those people who really didn't want to get involved with it. It seemed to me like something more for my 20-something kids, but I was talked into it and the benefits of connecting with so many of my high school classmates has been great! There are probably close to 150  of my classmates who are now catching up, offering support and actually getting together with old friends. I left my hometown for college at 17 and I never really went back. I was only in contact with 3 friends, so this has been so much fun.

     On Friday night, one of my high school girlfriends (who is now married to another classmate/friend) were coming to town for a concert. We decided to get together for pizza and a visit before they had to be at the theater. Since I was ordering pizza, I thought about just putting a stack of plates next to the cardboard boxes and styrofoam containers-but, I know my girlfriend likes dishes and reads the blog, so I threw together a quick tablescape.


     I had a new April Cornell table runner and napkins that I had been wanting to use. I bought both at HomeGoods and I loved the colors of this pattern. The sweet little bird matched perfectly. It was a birthday gift from another friend. Mercury glass votives in aqua added a touch of elegance to our fancy pizza meal!


     I just grabbed every day dishes and flatware from my kitchen cabinet. With the royal blue round placemats, and the patterned runner and napkins, I thought the plates needed to be simple. My flatware is the stainless we use daily.


     The bowls with the handles are actually soup bowls. I bought them along with the matching soup tureen at Crate and Barrel in October. I decided to use them for the fruit trifle that I made for dessert. I used deep aqua water/soda glasses that matched the blue in the runner.


I added some shapes and height to the table,
 but kept  things low enough that we could talk over them.




Pizza by candlelight...try it!







The pizza was good, the table was pretty...but it was the company
that was important. Thank you Facebook for getting so many of us
back together again...just in time for a big reunion this summer!

I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
for Tablescape Thursday.

Please visit our hostess!

Don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY!


19 comments:

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

you still amaze me! "just threw together" a table!! Wow!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did a great job, and I bet your pretty table setting made their visit more special.
I'm still holding out on the facebook thing. :D

Donna (My Mothers {favorite} Daughter) said...

I love this color of blue! Those placemats are perfection with those white dishes. I really love white dishes that have texture to them. What a wonderful table to sit down to and enjoy a great meal!

Maria said...

Hi Sue!
These are such lovely colors! Your tablescapes always inspire me to sort through my tablecloths and discover a new possibility!
Here in upstate NY, many of us are home today with a snowday! Yipee!
{the only benefit of a March snowstorm!} I've really enjoyed the clear roads and easy paths... but am happy to start our chili dinner at 1:00 instead of 5:00 !
Wishing you a wonderful evening ~
♥ Maria

Sarah said...

Pretty table for a fun filled evening with friends. I've recently reconnected with girlfriends from high school. It's fun! ~ sarah

Marigene said...

Looks like spring has arrived...beautiful table, Sue.

dee dee said...

Sue,
Bright and beautiful! I'm sure your friends were honored that you put together such a wonderful tablescape in honor of them! I did a tablescape for Christmas lunch and we had pizza too!
dee dee

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Morning Sue,
so good to hear from you, and yes, I know what you mean about the dogs.
When we have Rosie it keeps me busy for awhile too. They are babies....
for sure.

Love your table, cause I adore that shade of blue, it is just so springy and wonderful. An outstanding pizza table, would love to sit there.
That table runner is so beautiful too. Bet your friends enjoyed it very much. That is so neat yall reconnected and you went out of your way to make them feel welcomed and special.
Yes, all those tornadoes are just horrible, I read where there are more to come, praying they are not as bad as they think they will be.
Course,the news media always want to make everything seem as catastrophic as possible.

Have a lovely weekend hon,
Blessings, Nellie

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I'm sure your friend felt very special at this table that you set for her. All of the colors are beautiful together.

Leigh Powell Hines said...

What a lovely tablescape. Very pretty.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh that table is so pretty Sue! I need to find you on FB, I am on there too and with a lot of bloggers as well.
I really love that tablecloth!
Hugs,
Cindy

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh that table is so pretty Sue! I need to find you on FB, I am on there too and with a lot of bloggers as well.
I really love that tablecloth!
Hugs,
Cindy

we three dogs and me said...

I am a new to your post. I love the pretty blues and I bet you will have fun with your friends. I really love your place mats. I would love to make some like them. So pretty.

Relyn Lawson said...

I am so glad that Facebook is bringing you closer connections. I have found it to be pretty superficial, but maybe that's because I am not investing the time. I long for some real connections with a few old friends. I am glad you are finding them. And, oh, what a lovely table you've set.

Rettabug said...

I bet that pizza never tasted so good! What a pretty impromptu table!
I bet your friend was thrilled to see it AND YOU.
Well done!
fondly,
Rett

Patrice said...

What a beautiful tablescape - I'm glad you enjoyed getting together with old high school friends!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Well not this is the prettiest pizzia table ever! Love the blue and yellow. So wonderfully welcoming.

Decor To Adore said...

Pizza has never had such pizzaz. :)

Thank you SO very much for your prayers my friend.

I'd love for you to pop by for a visit. I am hosting a $50 Kirklands Giftcard Giveaway.

Angie said...

This is such a great color palette, Sue. It's hard not to get mesmerized by that blue!