Sunday, February 20, 2011

Wishful Thinking!


     It felt so much like spring this past week that I think the predicted snow will really be a shock! I decided to get a wreath ready for the front door. I may not hang it until March 1, but it was fun to play with the pastel colors.
 

     I've decided to use "Easter egg colors" this year in my spring decorating. I was so pleased to find the polka dot ribbon with pastels.


     I find that I get more for my money if I buy my florals in a bush and tear them apart. I started with 2 identical hydrangea bushes in a soft green. When all the pieces were separted, I had lots to work with.


     Starting with a $4.99 grapevine wreath from Hobby Lobby, I used a glue gun to attach the blossoms in groupings. After the blossoms are secure, a few larger leaves were added, followed by some branches of leaves to fill the spaces between the blossoms. The ribbon is the last thing I work with.


     One of the things that I think adds to a wreath is to attach ribbon all through the wreath. I think it creates a more finished look that simply adding a bow.




     This is the finished piece. I tend to like things that aren't symmetrical and are slightly "odd". You could created a more perfect look by adding blossoms all over the wreath if you like.



 
     I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday.
You really must visit her and see all the creative ideas this week in Blogland!

I am also joining Mary @ Little Red House for Mosaic Monday

23 comments:

Dawn said...

This is so lovely....and I too love those pretty colors! Nice to see bits of spring even though I am covered in tons of snow!
Thanks for the spring color!

Vee said...

What a beautiful spring wreath! Thank you for sharing it.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

How pretty - really like the colors you used! I need to make a new wreath for my front door this year. Sure hope we don't get any more snow.

Pondside said...

Is it time to take the Christmas wreath off the front door?
Okay - I'll do it in the morning!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I think it's perfect.

Snap said...

Wonderful spring wreath. I love the ribbons you used and thank you, Sue, for showing us how you made the wreath.

J Rodney said...

It looks fabulous Sue! Down here it feels like spring already, and I just hope that the cold streaks are done. My garden is really doing great, but I'm afraid what a cold streak would do to it.

The Fajdich Times said...

That's a beautiful spring wreath! I love the colors:)

xinex said...

Oh Sue, your wreath is so adorable. I love the ribbons....Christine

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

So beautiful !! I love the ribbon, and the colors!

DUTA said...

Wishful thinking indeed as spring is still far away. Yet the wreath is lovely. Thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Sue, your wreath is delightful and you have made it seem so simple. Hanging on your front door, it is sure to make passersby smile.

Angie said...

That's quite darling, Sue! Spring can't come soon enough :)

Maria said...

This came beautiful, Sue!
I love your "Easter Egg Colors" perfect and so light and springy ~
This winter has been wild. Friday, on my way home from work, it was almost 50 degrees...
just for fun, I drove part of the way home with my windows down and sunglasses on.
By Saturday morning, it was blustery and so windy. But at least we had our few moments of spring.
Glad to see your springtime background is back too :o)
Have a happy week, Sue!
~Maria

LindyLouMac said...

Oh I like the idea of a Spring Garland for the door, not something that would normally be considered here. I might just start a new tradition.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I love that wreath!!! I also love your blog colors that match your wreath!!! Now that is coordination!!! Have a beautiful week!!!

koralee said...

It's stunning my friend...can't wait for the Spring weather to hit...some snowflakes arrived on your doorstep today.

Happy Monday. xxo

Gypsy Heart said...

I love it! The ribbons are perfect...and I don't care for symmetrical either. We had a little "cool" come through this morning but thankfully, no snow for us. At least we still have the sunshine!

xo
Pat

Patrice said...

i just love hydrangeas

La said...

Gorgeous! This will be ideal for spring.

We got hit today with another storm. I had to stop three times on the way home from work because my windshield and wipers kept freezing up. It's hard to believe that just Friday it was 70 degrees out.

Pam @ Our Adventures in Home Improvement said...

Hi Sue,

This wreath is so pretty! You are very talented. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures and for the tutorial.

Have a great day.
Pam

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
Love love love your wreath, it is so pretty!
Love the colors and love hydrangeas and the way you wind the ribbon thru it. pretty ribbon too!
Can't wait to see it on your door, and I am an
assymetrical girl too, it looks perfect to me!!
Hope you are doing well sweet friend,
Blessings, Nellie

dee dee said...

You have such a great touch with flowers!
It is truely a gift!
Dee Dee