Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thoughts of Spring...A Bit of Old and A Bit of New



     As we get ready for another winter storm, I decided that I really needed to add some color to my house. The dreary weather outside doesn't have to be reflected inside. Once in a while I set a table that just makes me happy when I see it. This was one of those tables. I started with my white American Atelier Bianca Leaf Square plates that you have seen often on my tables. They are topped with golden yellow dinner plates that are simply marked with a "B" on the bottom. They were a recent TJ Maxx purchase for $2 each.


     The same TJ Maxx visit produced my first April Cornell table linen. I loved the colors in this table runner. A few spring touches are added. The chippy green and white bird jar will show up in a vignette somewhere else in the house soon.


I had to have the light on to take this picture,
it changed the colors slightly.


I found this stemware at Goodwill for $1 each. I love them.


With all of the yellow on the table,
 I chose gold flatware that I've had for many years.


Miniature Crate and Barrel vases become votives for the evening.
 

     The focal point of the table is this old English pitcher. My mother bought it for me decades ago and I always used it filled with flowers. I'd forgotten about it and when I bought the table runner I knew I had to pull it back out for this tablescape. It is filled with baby's breath and bright yellow tulips. Is there anything better than tulips on a dreary winter day?


A porcelain blossom and shot glass votives finish the centerpiece.


     From above you can see the layered napkins. I combined new (Walmart) blue napkins with vintage white napkins and tied them with a bit of yarn.


Of course, we have to see the table by candlelight...










I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for
Tablescape Thursday. Please take time to visit her
 beautiful blog and see all the other table settings.


19 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

So Very Pretty! I really like the yellow with the blue and white. You got some great deals.
No snow here, but severe weather coming in late afternoon/early evening. :(
Have a great day.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Another amazing table!! I really live the old pitcher filled with tulips. Great job.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Beautiful tablescape...love how thrifty it is...beautiful square plates and stemware.

Blessings,
Linda

Carolyn said...

LOVE love love it!! I am smiling because I recently went to TJMaxx and picked up the exact same table runner and yellow dishes. I also bought the smaller salad/dessert plates in the soft green that matches them. I can't wait to use them! For me, a trip to TJMaxx (or any store other than Walmart) is a big deal because the nearest small city is 140 miles away.

Roberta said...

Love the pitcher and yellow tulips Sue! Gotta have fresh flowers this time of year. I bought a planted pot of daffodils yesterday and waiting for them to bloom!

Pondside said...

Daylight or evening, your setting is springlike and very welcome!

Marigene said...

Beautiful table, blue and yellow make me happy, too.

Barbara said...

What a lovely breath of spring! I just love your table runner.

Patrice said...

Love the color scheme - country French colors! The weather's been warm here in Atlanta! Sending some your way...

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, I love all this color of this setting. Every time I click on your blog name from my mail it goes to your test blog. Just wanted to let you know.

Entertaining Women said...

Blue, yellow, and white has long been my favorite color combination. I love that the pitcher from your mom has resurfaced again. I know that she's smiling on you. I know that feeling when you pulled it out and set it in the place of honor for your tablescape. The goblets are such an amazing get, and I love their color and shape...lovely. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

xinex said...

It is so pretty, Sue. I have a Bianca set of dinnerware but I do not have the square one. Love the yellow, it brings so much delight to the table and I love the vase and the flowers are gorgeous...Christine

Lyneen said...

An absolutely stunning spring table... I would love this in my home!!!! BY candle light is is beautiful!

Red Couch Recipes said...

I think the B on the bottom of the plate must be for butter yellow. I just love both of the plates (the yellow and white). Your new April cornell runner is so bright and cheery. Joni

LindyLouMac said...

Such a pretty table that made me feel Spring like!

Jenny said...

Gorgeous. I think I need to spend more time at TJ Maxx! What fabulous finds! Really pretty table.

Anonymous said...

You did, indeed, brighten up your room. Despite the last deluges of winter weather, spring is coming bringing with it new color and warmth.
I, too, love TJ Maxx which friends and I refer to as the Mother Ship!

Scribbler said...

Pretty! I think we all did blue and yellow this week. Nice tablescape!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Morning Sue,
what an absolutely delightful and pretty Spring looking table. Love it!!
I have always admired those yellow plates at
Home Goods, and love they come in quite a few different colors. They are so pretty.
they yellow tulips are perfect with it as well.
Thanks for stopping by yesterday and thanks for your prayers for hubby's job. Still no word but then there is always next week!! lol
Have a super weekend sweetie,
Blessings, Nellie
And hope you find a camera you love, I don't know anything about any of those unfortunately.