Friday, February 11, 2011

Easy Italian Beef for Crockpot or Oven


     Italian beef sandwiches are a favorite in our house. My son started asking about 2 weeks before the Super Bowl if I would make them that day. I have a very easy recipe. You can either use a crockpot or a dutch oven, the recipe doesn't have to be exact...it is more a "little of this, little of that" type of recipe.

Ingredients:
3-4 pound chuck roast
1/2 cup soy sauce
2-3 cans of beef broth
3 bay leaves
a few whole peppercorns (I use about 1/2 tsp.)
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. garlic powder (I use a little less)
Hard rolls for sandwiches

     Place the meat in the crockpot or a dutch oven. Pour other ingredients over the top and add water if needed to almost cover the roast. Cook several hours in crockpot until meat is falling apart tender. Remove bay leaves. Using 2 forks, shred the meat and serve on split hard rolls. Serve extra "juice" on the side. For Super Bowl I used 2 roasts and kept the other ingredients the same. Because there was so much meat, I baked mine in the oven in a dutch oven  for about 5-6 hours. This recipe freezes beautifully.


I am joining Michael @ Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday
If you want to be hungry...go visit Michael!


16 comments:

Haden News said...

I love a good Italian Beef sandwich, I can't wait to try this recipe, think I will do it in the crock pot. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Kathy said...

Yum, This would be a winner at my home - Thanks!
Kathy

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm going to have to try this one day. I love my crock pot and am always looking for more great recipes! Looks good, Sue!

XO,
Jane

Journey said...

I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe. I really need to use my crock pot more - think I'll be stalking your blog for more recipes.

Happy Friday!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Yum! Now I am starved. :D
Enjoy your weekend.

Unknown said...

Oh, that sounds so very yummy! Thanks for posting Sue -- I need to dust my crockpot off this weekend :)

Blessings!
Gail

Red Couch Recipes said...

Sue that does sound yummy and I love the pepperoncini on top. Have you ever had a roast crock pot cooked with just pepperoncini in it -- i love that too. Joni

The Charm of Home said...

This looks delicious Sue. My teens would love this. I need to try it for they are bored with my everyday fare. Come link up at my party! I would love to have you. I will do a recipe next week and join Michael Lee too.
Sherry

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
Oh boy, does that look yummy! Enjoy!
and
Have a Hap Hap Happy Valentines day,
blessings, Nellie

Pondside said...

This is something completely new to me. It sounds delicious!

Patrice said...

I made chuck roast in a crock pot this week, too! So easy when I'm working!!!

scribbler said...

Thanks for your sweet words about my book -- it means a lot. This recipe is something sweet Husband is going to love! I have a chuck in the freezer, and I think this will be on the agenda the first of the week.

xinex said...

This looks really yummy, Sue. I will have to try it. Thanks for the recipe...Christine

Linda said...

Those look yummy...I think my hubby would love them! Thanks for sharing!!

Sandra said...

This looks delish! I am definitely gonna have to try it out. Love using my crockpot as well.
Sandra

Kim @ Touch of Nostalgia said...

YUM! My tummy growled really loud when looking at your photos. ;) It looks delicious. :)

-------

I just gave you an award! You can find out about it here!

An Award for YOU!

Congrats! :)