Thursday, September 5, 2013

Creating An Unexpected Tablescape



     For those of you that read my blog often, you know that I tend to use the phrase "think outside of the box" quite a bit. I love to add the unexpected to my decorating and certainly my tablescapes. When my dad and his friend Mary were here last week, I decided it was a good excuse to fix a simple summer dinner and play with my dishes a little bit. I decided to use my pink floral china (labeled simply Fine China) because it echoed all of the blooms in my yard right now. I was tempted to pull out the green in the pattern with my placemats and use lots of white and pink, but that would have been the usual approach to setting a table with these plates. I thought I would walk you through the process of creating a different look.
 

     The oak table I have in my dining room right now is fairly small without added leaves. A tablecloth tends to overwhelm it. I decided to mix the pink floral with black for a richer, more interesting look. The center mat has silver metallic threads running through it. The others are plain black. Starting with the mats and the dinner plates, I added 2 pieces of vintage silver for added height and interest. 



Salad plates in plain black tie it all together. 


     The flatware is the same shade of pink as the flowers on the plates and pale pink wine glasses (I would actually have preferred black wine glasses with this look, but didn't have 4) complete the setting. 


Black napkins (from Halloween) and simple
silver napkin rings complete the look.
 

     The next step was creating the centerpiece for the table. I knew that I wanted to keep it low so that we could visit.  I also wanted things to "sparkle" in the candlelight. 


     I looked around my "dish room" and saw these beaded strands that are actually from Christmas. I knew that they would glow in the candlelight and yet not take up much space in the center of our small table. Don't forget to think about scarves, necklaces or beautiful pins to use in your centerpiece arrangements...unexpected!


      My pink roses were past their prime, but I had some blooms on the yellow bush that were just the right size for miniature colored vases from Crate and Barrel. For filler with the roses, snips of fresh mint, dill, lavender and lemon basil...all from my yard. Using fresh herbs in floral arrangements adds not only beauty, but wonderful scents to the room. 


     I just let the beading spill out of the silver pieces. I didn't worry about making it look perfect, I just wrapped it around some clear votive candle holders (with pineapple scented candles) and let it drift onto the table. 


     This certainly wasn't my most elaborate tablescape, not even close. It was simple and easy to talk over. It had enough color to look like summer and enough black to be elegant and the bits of silver and beads had a pretty glow in the light. Most of all, my guests found it pretty and that is the main goal. 



     I lit the candles before it was dark outside, so you can't really see the way things sparkled in the light after dark. This really was one of those table that was much prettier by candlelight. 





The menu was simple:
 
Rosemary Chicken
 
Roasted potatoes
 
Roasted Asparagus with Meyer Lemon Olive Oil 
and Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar
 
Watermelon, Feta and Arugula Salad
with a Balsamic Reduction
 
Dinner Rolls
 
Mom's Apple Cake with Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
 

For the recipe for my Mom's cake
(an easy, one bowl, family favorite) 

I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch 
for Tablescape Thursday.

6 comments:

Barbara F. said...

Love the "tutorial" on thinking outside the box. Love what you did with the table. And I adore your menu! Checking out the recipe for the scrumptious looking cake. xo

Glenda/MidSouth said...

A very pretty table setting and the menu sounds yummy. I am sure it was enjoyed by all.
Enjoy your evening.

Blondie's Journal said...

The table is gorgeous, Sue! Such a neat surprise seeing how those colors mixed so well and you had the summery yet elegant look you were after. Your menu sounds great, too. I've been wanting to make the watermelon, arugula, feta salad. I have to get on the ball. And I'm going to check out the cake recipe.

XO,
Jane

Red Couch Recipes said...

Love the pink dishes. Pink and brown go so well together! Need to look at that apple cake recipe. Bought a bunch of apples from a farmer. Joni

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Suz,
Love those pink floral plates, gorgeous, and like that your silverware matches them. Would have never thought to pair them with black, but it really looks great. Like your shimmery
centerpiece as well, every table needs a lil bling. Liked how you walked us thru the creation of your table..........
Food sounds awesome and that cake of your Mom's........so yummy looking.
Glad yall had a good time most of all.

I really think it makes people feel special to sit at a pretty table,
not like you just threw it together at the last minute with no thought of anything.........lol
Course, those times are okay too,
cause sometimes you just want casual or easy.........

Hope all is well with you.....
sounds like you might be moving near your daughter sooner than you
might have thought. Fun to think about........but I hear you on the other stuff....big step~

Have a blessed weekend hon,
Nellie

Anonymous said...

I love your pink, silver, and black...very classy and elegant. But your beautiful rose is the star of the show!