Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What's So Great About Michigan?


     We just got back from spending a week at our "peaceful place" in Michigan. Nothing surprises me (or my husband) more than how much I love it there. I was always a person who needed to see palm trees to feel as if I was on vacation. My husband said last week that he never dreamed we would be taking trips that included cold temperatures, hiking and a wardrobe of only jeans and boots or tennis shoes. Don't get me wrong...I'm still blissfully happy on a sunny beach in Florida with my feet in the sand, but I'm equally as happy wandering the shores of Lake Michigan (as long as it isn't winter). I thought I'd share some of my favorite spots with you in the next few blog posts. We have learned over the years to pack for all sorts of weather conditions when we make the 8 hour drive north to Traverse City. This time was no different. We saw sleet, rain, wind and sunshine...and it was snowing all around us. I think I'll just stop writing and let the pictures speak for themselves. You will be traveling on the Leelanau Peninsula, where the leaves have turned lovely shades of gold and red. The day was sunny and windy, the beach isolated and for the first time we visited Sleeping Bear Dunes in the midst of a sand storm. It was beautiful, but the sand was very painful on our faces and got into our eyes, teeth, shoes and even our pockets. Sit back and enjoy the ride.













7 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Beautiful photos!!!! Sounds and looks like you and your husband had a wond4erful vacation! Really like your new header also!

Blondie's Journal said...

These are gorgeous pictures, Sue, and I'm not just saying that because I'm partial to Michigan! I'm not a big fan of traveling in the winter in cold places either, but we usually go away to celebrate our anniversary in December, so I'm used to it. I wouldn't have wanted to get caught in that sandstorm!

I LOVE your new header picture and fall theme. I can't believe how time is flying!

XO,
Jane

Anonymous said...

Lake Michigan is so gorgeous! Would love to go back up that way.

Loved seeing your photos, Sue!

Carla said...

Beautiful!

bj said...

What a gorgeous place. Never been to Michigan.

Your header is so pretty.:))

Gypsy Heart said...

Beautiful photos! I love going to areas like this in the fall.

xo
Pat

Relyn Lawson said...

I'd say Michigan is pretty great.