Friday, October 19, 2012

Michigan-The Shopping

     When I think of fun vacations, I think of scenery, food and shopping! If you missed some of my scenic pictures of our trip to Michigan, you can see them here. Today, I thought I would share a few of my favorite shopping spots when we head up north.

     Do you ever walk into a store and think to yourself "this is a blogger's paradise"? That is exactly how I felt when I discovered Sensible Pearl's in Suttons Bay, MI. We love Suttons Bay...it is small, beautiful and has darling little shops.




 
I was so excited to finally find Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.
I do have a project in mind, but you all know how
I am with "arts and crafts". It is a large piece of
 furniture, so any advice is welcome.
 
 
I also couldn't leave these precious velvet pumpkins behind.
 

 
     We usually try to plan a visit to Leland, MI for lunch. Leland is home to historic Fishtown, which has small shops and eateries.
 

 
 
This trip, look what I found! Two of them came home
with us...I really wanted them all.
 

 
     Much of what we do in Michigan is outdoors, including the shopping. There are so many orchards, fruit stands and farmer's markets. What I love is that many of them are on the honor system. We bought wonderful Honeycrisp apples and just put our money in the box and took what we wanted. The above pictures are of one of our favorite places...Pond Hill Farm, located just outside of Harbor Springs, MI. When we first started coming here, it was simply a working farm that sold flowers and vegetables with a few animals for kids to play with. Now, it has a winery and restaurant. We still love all the hand-canned items that are just like grandma used to make.
 

 
There are also bakeries on every street corner...
so, we just had to have some cinnamon breads.
 


 
In Holland, MI on the way home...we
stocked up at the farmer's market on
local vegetables including fresh chestnuts.
 
 
     Of course it wouldn't be a trip if I didn't come home with at least one pair of new shoes. I bought these crazy boots and I just love them. They have birdhouses, cats and top hats mixed with florals on them. They are my "girly" work boots!
 
     We  stocked up on all our favorite jams, sauces and salsas...some wine and beer from local wineries and breweries and even did a little Christmas shopping. As you can see, you never get bored along Lake Michigan! Next up...the food!

14 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I am with you Sue! I love shopping on vaca! What fun.

I haven't had the time to Tablescape and it was a relief but it was fun to do it again. A break is nice.

Jacqueline said...

I am with you Sue! I love shopping on vaca! What fun.

I haven't had the time to Tablescape and it was a relief but it was fun to do it again. A break is nice.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Those are the cutest boots. Looks like a good shopping trip.

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
So good to see you post, and I have been wondering about you and was
thinking just yesterday I need to go over and see if she is doing okay.
I see that you have done 2 other posts since I was here last but for some reason they didn't come up on my blogroll like they usually do. Today's did........strange!
Anywho, glad you were having fun and things are okay.
What beautiful pictures, so lovely.
That shop looks like so much fun
with lots of eye candy. Yea!!
Don't you just love farmers markets?
I haven't been to ours in ages, I really need to go now that it is cooler weather, it would be fun.
Our mornings are cool, but today we went to 90, tomorrow will be 84 and sunday 82, which is good for us! lol
Your boots are cute.....make sure you take a pic with them on so we can see..............
Oh also I really like you new blog face, very pretty and Fallish........
Take care hon,
Blessings, Nellie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

My kind of shopping. I have purchased items from roadside stands on the honor system several times and am sure I over paid often, but that is ok I love buying small jars of homemade/canned pickles, jams and bakery items - so much better than store bought.
Enjoy your weekend.

Blondie's Journal said...

The shopping sounds spectacular, Sue! Yep, a bloggers paradise! You and your hubby are so like me and my hubs...we would probably have a great time in Michigan together! Love your new boots and the farm/winery looks like such fun! I'm so glad you had a great trip!

XO,
Jane

dee dee said...

Sue,
Next time I'm joining you and Hubby for vacation! You always find the most interesting and fun things to do on your trips! I just love your boots!
Dee Dee

Gypsy Heart said...

Sounds like a piece of Heaven to me! I just love, love all the fresh and canned goodies...great to partake of as many as possible.

Just wish I had been along! :)
xo
Pat

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

What wonderful pics Sue! I so love Michigan, especially the Traverse City and Mackinac areas and of course the UP.
The beauty is unsurpassed!
I like warm sunny beaches too but really the Great Lakes are just as stunning and not as many people around.
Your boots are so fun and I really enjoyed this post.
Hugs friend,
Cindy

Red Couch Recipes said...

Sue, I grew up in Wisconsin, and my parents loved to take weekend trips to Michigan. That store was so serence looking, and Pond Hill Farm looksed like so much fun!!! The boots are something else!!! I love them. Joni

J Rodney said...

Your photos really tell a story Sue, and those boots are just way to quirky and cool to be hidden away as work boots.

Patrice said...

Looks like a great shopping trip, Sue! Love those boots!

Unknown said...

I love those paper flowers in the first pic,
Have a sweet day!

Relyn Lawson said...

OH man!! I do want to go shopping with you!