Monday, August 15, 2011

Celebrity Cook-Along, Recipe Blog Party and OTMM

     Every month, Lynn @ Happier Than A Pig In Mud hosts a Celebrity Cook-Along party. I finally had a recipe ready to share when she picked Rachel Ray as the Celebrity of the Month.


     My husband loves Shepherd's Pie, but I had never made it. So, when I saw Rachel's 30-minute Shepherd's Pie recipe, I decided to try it. It was easy to make and delicious. It takes a few pans to make, but other than a bit of clean-up, it was very simple to prepare.

30-Minute Shepherd's Pie
Ingredients:
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
salt and pepper
1 T. olive oil
1 & 3/4 pounds ground beef or ground lamb (I used beef)
1 carrot (or 2 smaller carrots) peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped (I didn't use one)
2 T. butter
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 cup beef stock or broth
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 T. sour cream or softened cream cheese (I used lite sour cream)
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup cream (vegetable or chicken broth may be substituted) I used the remaining beef broth and it was fine.
1 tsp. paprika


In a large pot, boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes.


While potatoes boil, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, then beef or lamb. Season with salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat. If there is a lot of fat when meat is brown, drain it. Add carrot and optional onion, cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.


In a second small pan over medium heat, cook butter and flour together, 2 minutes. Whisk in 1 cup beef broth and Worcestershire. Cook to thicken, 1 minute. Add gravy to meat mixture and stir in peas.


Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and broth or cream. Pour the sour cream mixture into the potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.



Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes evenly over the meat. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from heat until even browned, about 2  to 3 minutes. I actually baked mine for 40 minutes instead of broiling it. I liked the idea of cooking that raw egg yolk a little longer than just broiling the top.


I am also joining Debi @ Bloggerette Sorority for the Recipe Blog Party
and
Yvonne @ Stone Gable for On The Menu Monday


12 comments:

Lynn said...

I love Shepard's Pie and this looks great Sue! I always add dill to mine. Thanks so much for joining the Cook-Along:@)

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Great, I have some ground beef thawing for supper....now I have a plan!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks good! I have not had Shepard's pie in years. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Barbara F. said...

I love shepherd's pie (grou d beef and mashed potatoes you can't go wrong! Yours looks scrumptious. xo,

bj said...

I made one, too...
This looks so good..
Did you forget the Bloggerette's cooking party, too. :)
O, and On the Menu Monday..?

Gypsy Heart said...

I've never tasted one nor made one, however, this looks really good! Thanks so much for sharing and bringing to my attention. Along about October, I will try it. :-)

xo
Pat

deb said...

I've been making this RR recipe for a few years now and (re: your comment about the egg yolk), I just make my regular mashed potatoes and don't worry about the egg yolk.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

YUMMY! This is going on the top of my list to make when my sweet son comes home. He loves shepherd's pie and I love the 30 minutes to make it! Delicious post my friend!
Please join me and add this to ON THE MENU MONDAY. It would be a great addition!
xo Yvonne

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to give this a try. I've made a few and always been disapointed, not enough flavor, which means the hubster has been disapointed. Can't wait to put this one in front of him. Thanks for sharring!

bj said...

Way to go, girlfriend. :)))

Kim @ Touch of Nostalgia said...

This looks delicious! I'm afraid my SO would never try it. Things 'touch' in it..lol Thank you for the recipe. Maybe someday I'll have guests and can try it with them. ;)

Jenny said...

Did your husband like it?