Friday, November 19, 2010

Have You Tried An Arepa? Foodie Friday


     It isn't often that I stumble on a new food that I've never tried or heard of, particularly one that is absolutely delicious. When in Orlando visiting our daughter who works for Disney, we always love to find things to do that don't have anything to do with the theme parks. One of our favorite places in Orlando is Lake Eola Park downtown. On a recent visit we went to the park for their Fall Festival. They have wonderful artisan booths as well as a wide variety of food. We could smell the Arepa booth before we got there. I'm not usually all that comfortable buying food at a booth from people I don't know, but I did not hesitate this time at all.


     The arepa is a flat, unleavened patty made of cornmeal which can be grilled, baked, or fried. The characteristics of the arepa vary from region to region: It may vary by color, flavor, size, thickness, garniture, and also the food it may be stuffed with. Arepa is a native bread made of ground corn, water, and salt which is fried into a pancake-like bread. It is either topped or filled with meat, eggs, tomatoes, salad, cheese, shrimp, or fish. Wikipedia

I found a recipe for Arepas here.


I thought I'd share a few more pictures of Lake Eola Park.


It is so interesting to see this gorgeous park
surrounded by the tall buildings of the city.


The pigeons found a place they liked.


You can get up close and personal with
the swans or ride in a swan boat if you so choose.


They often have live music at the bandstand.


It is a beautful spot to escape the tourists and the traffic
that suuround the them park areas.

I am joining Michael @ Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday
Please take a moment to visit our hostess!




14 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Arepa! Never heard of it but the picture and the description look and sound good enough!!

So glad you had a great trip! :-) Nice pictures!

XO,
Jane

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Never heard of or had it before - but it sounds and looks good. Thanks for the tour.
Enjoy your weekend.

JUST ME said...

Oh lord that looks good!

Probably because I forgot to bring lunch to work!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Arepa, I've never heard of it, but would love to try it. I like anything made with corn meal. YUMMY! Looks like you had a lovely visit.
xo Yvonne

Lynn said...

Me neither! Great shots, looks like you had fun:@)

Pondside said...

It's a good thing that there are no Arepa stands here - I'd be as big as a house!

Monica H said...

Did you make the arepa in the picture or is that one you tried on Florida? It looks and sounds delicious. I eat mozz any way I can get it.

DUTA said...

Arepa probably tastes good. I like food items made out of cornflour, especially 'mamaliga' - a famous romanian dish. You just put salt and cornflour in boiling water and you get something which can be a substitute to bread. Sometimes slices of it are pan-fried in oil or lard.

The picture with the music entertainment in the park, reminds one that it's a good idea for both sides: visitors in the park that enjoy the music, and the bands that get famous that way.

koralee said...

Yummy...that is something I would love to try! I must remember this arepa!

Sending you some hugs today...warm ones as the white stuff is falling here. xoxo

Kathleen said...

I never heard of it either, but it looks delicious!
Happt Tgiving, Sue!

The Charm of Home said...

Sue, That sounds tasty. We might have to find that park next time we are down there that sounds nice! Very pretty pictures.
Sherry

bj said...

Mercy, that looks delicious.
Love all your beautiful photos...

bj said...

ooo, and meant to say I missed the swap at the sorority..bwaaaaa
How do you keep up with what she is doing over there? I try to stop by often but I missed this somehow.

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

The Arepa sounds really good -never heard of it!!!