Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Beach Glass Bliss

 
     Are those seashells? In February? Yes...not only are they seashells, this is an odd tablescape as it isn't perfect and it even has paper napkins! My daughter wanted some ideas for decorating tables using beach glass colors, on a budget. So, actually this is a tutorial of ideas for her that I decided to share. I didn't buy anything, I just used things from around the house and they certainly aren't perfect choices. However, it gave her an image of what could be done.
 
 
     Imagine that you are seeing white gerbera daisies, orchids or some other "Florida flower" instead of white Illinois winter carnations from Walmart. I didn't have any seafoam or turquoise napkins and in my small town, I couldn't find any...so, turquoise paper napkins it is.

 
     I brought a large round table up from our basement. The only white, round tablecloth I had large enough had the embroidered flowers on it. I would actually use a plain white cloth if I were having guests. White plates and salad plates and my mother's sterling flatware give an idea of what can be done. The dinner plates are a little too casual for this table, but all of my other white ones had decorative edges.

 
     I wanted to add a pop of color to tie in with the centerpiece. I couldn't get the paper napkins to fold in any decorative style. I topped each with a shell, which could be an added take home gift for your guests. If using a cloth napkin, I think a decorative fold with a shell tucked in would be pretty.

 
     For an actual take home gift, a simple white box tied with ribbon and rafia with a shell (or sand dollar) could be filled with candy, nuts or a small jar of local preserves.

 
     The centerpiece was what I really wanted to show my daughter. Using a round mirror for a base, I started with a piece of coral (this one is actually faux coral) to add a little height. I scattered beach glass and then tucked in various sizes and shapes of shells. Two small round vases and one tall one with beach rocks could hold one large bloom (saving lots of $$ at the florist). I did add a few glittered starfish (I did them myself with Martha Stewart glitter) to pick up the light from the candles.



 
     I thought I would like the added tall vase for varied height, but once I saw the pictures...I think I would probably add another smaller vase instead. For a round table, I like to be able to see the people on the other side.
 


 








 
     So, there you have it. As I said, it isn't exactly the way I would do it if I were having guests, but it gave her a good idea of what she could do with just a few items...many of which are so easily available and affordable in Florida. I also think that you could put some actual beach sand on the mirror and scatter the beach glass through it. It would be a way to still add color to the table and yet use less beach glass which can be slightly expensive. I just wonder if the sand would blow all over the table if someone sneezed or there was a draft in the room? What a mess that might be!
 
     I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday. Please stop by and see the beautiful tables this week.
 
 
 

14 comments:

Monica H said...

Hi Sue!

Thanks for leaving me a comment. I stop by on occasion to see what you're up to, but rarely have time to leave a comment. This is a beautiful table scape as always.

I've been blogging pretty regularly. Can you not see my posts? I just put a post out on Monday for banana muffins. Hmmm? We ate doing great. My son is 17 months and is doing awesome and I'm in the process of writing my first cookbook. Yay!

Hope you are well!

Monica

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very Pretty!! I really like the aqua and white together, with no other additional color used.

momto8 said...

how lovely!! and how fun!! like your ideas!

Terri Smith said...

Hi Sue..it was so nice seeing you had visited. Thanks for the sweet words regarding my newest attempt at silversmithing. Luvin' the process BTW. And Yes, I'm doin' well these days and hoping the same for you. Your setting is absolutely gorgeous! Still some of the most beautiful arrangements I've ever seen. xoTerri

Linda said...

I love the colors...very pretty! I think it looks wonderful! Have a great day!!

Lynn said...

Sounds like we're in for some snow on Friday/Saturday... your table has me wishing for warmer weather:@)

Ricki Treleaven said...

This is a great tablescape, Sue! I really like the white carnations, LOL! Your camera takes great photos at night with the candlelight. My camera doesn't, and I can only take good photos on sunny days!

Pretty post!!! :D

xo,
RJ

Relyn Lawson said...

I love beach glass. Those yummy, muted colors make my heart go pitty pat. Your table!! MY oh MY!!! Your guests must surely feel loved and cherished.

dizzyizzy said...

Love this table. Anything with the sea goes straight to my heart.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Makes me want to go to the beach :)

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi suz,
What a lovely tablescape, and seems so refreshing for the Winter. It has been hot enough here for a beachy
tablescape that is for sure. We actually got some much needed rain
tonight, didn't last real long tho,
but better than nothing, a cool front pushing through..........
You did a great job, loved your centerpiece, and would love sitting at that beautiful table for sure.
Hope all is well with you and hubby.
blessings, Nellie

xinex said...

This is really so beautiful, Sue. I betcha you daughter got lots of useful tips....Christine

koralee said...

Now I am dreaming of sunny days at the beach....thank you for sharing...enjoy your weekend.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

February has me saying "Enough of Winter already!" I'm ready for some nice beach days in the warm sunshine. Like NOW! Love your pretty table that's tempting me to head south soon.