Monday, February 6, 2012

Mr. Food Helps With My Super Bowl Snacks!


     I'm sure many of you did exactly what I did yesterday...I ate too much! We went to a lovely Super Bowl party, where everyone brought something yummy to eat! Every day on our local noon news, Mr. Food has a recipe at the end of the show. Sometimes they look good, sometimes not so much. I never try the recipes. I decided for the party to finally give two of them a try. The first was a bar cookie-Lime Margarita Bars (click here for recipe).


     They were very easy to make and I really liked the combination of the salty pretzel crust and the almost cheesecake type filling. Mr. Food showed them with a little whipped cream on top, but I didn't think that would hold up during the party. I dusted them with powdered sugar and sprinkled a few of the remaining crumbs from the pan on top of the bars.


     The second recipe I tried was an appetizer-Border Biscuit Bake (click here for the recipe). This was also very simple to make. Refrigerator biscuits are cut into pieces, tossed with a jar of salsa and covered with cheese, peppers and olives. After baking you end up with a pull apart "bread" with a Mexican flavor. I used 4 cups of cheese rather than the 3 cups in the recipe. I found this to be very good, but just a little dry for my taste. I baked mine 40 minutes and I would reduce that by a few minutes when I do it again. I also would probably serve sour cream and/or guacamole on the side to garnish it with. The flavor was very good and hot from the oven it was gooey and delicious, it needed a bit of sauce or something after it cooled. I did read in the Mr. Food comments that some people added cooked meat before baking which would certainly be delicious. So-did you eat too much? I'm back to eating a bit healthier today!





7 comments:

Lynn said...

Both of your new recipes look great Sue, I like the idea of a pretzel crust. And, yep I ate too much yesterday, and no I haven't started eating healthier yet... there's still left over dip:@)

NanaDiana said...

Yum and Yum! Those look great! I am happy to say that I did NOT overdo it yesterday so I am feeling pretty smug today...however, there is always tonight! xo Diana

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Oh, my both of those look yummy.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I will have a serving of each - seconds on the bread please. :-D Thanks for sharing - may have to try the bread. I did not over eat yesterday - made a pot of beef veggie soup and had it for lunch and dinner.
Enjoy your evening.

dee dee said...

Sue, Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!
dee dee

The Charm of Home said...

That looks so good Sue! Yah, I know we haven't even had winter. I am just ready to get out of the house more! This is the time each year we start planning the Disney trip! LOL
Sherry

J Rodney said...

I really want to try that first one!