Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chinese New Year-Tablescape Thursday


Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch is our hostess for Tablescape Thursday. If you have never participated, give it a try. You will be addicted just like the rest of us! Be sure to visit Susan, she always has something special to share and you will find links to wonderful tablescapes.


     Sunday was not only Valentine's Day, it was also Chinese New Year. I finally had a chance to use this set of dishes. I bought this set at a charity auction several months ago. I had such good intentions of learning Asian cooking and using them all the time. I've decided that now that I've done this tablescape, I'm going to sell the dishes. I only set the table for 4, but I actually have service for 8. It even came with sixteen pair of chopsticks...we simply aren't going to use them and I need the space! So, this may be the only time you see them.


     I'm sure you can see why I fell in love with these dishes. The colors are so vibrant. I wasn't sure what to use on the table, but I found I had a vintage embroidered tablecloth that worked very well. I felt that the table should be fairly simple and that the dishes should really be the decorative feature. Each place setting has the large plate that can be used as a charger, the dinner plate, appetizer plate and soup bowl. To the left, the rice bowl and sauce dish. Above the plate is the holder for the damp napkin and of course the chopsticks.


I had a hard time not picking up reflections in the plates.




I have no idea what the lettering means...I hope it isn't anything bad!


     Don't you just love the teapot and the cute little black teacups? I decided to only use 2 of the matching vases with a simple orchid type flower in them. The votives are an unusual shape and actually put out very little light.



     This is the first time I've done a tablescape that really looked better in natural light than by candlelight. I think the fact that the votives put out so little light made the images blur a bit.


     Now, if only I had a fabulous menu planned to go with this tablescape. I've decided that takeout from my local Chinese or Thai restaurant is as close as I'm going to get!

28 comments:

justdishing.blogspot.com said...

Fabulous tablescape. If you are serious about selling the dinnerware, I might be interested if I can afford them. lakk33@gmail.com

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

That's pretty awesome Sue! I love the look, it's so fun and the colors are so nice together. That tea-pot is pretty darn cool! Cindy

Pinky said...

Sue, I LOOOOVE this table...and the dishes. Let me know what you are selling them for, I might be interested! I ahve ALOT of things from the Orient in my home, these would be great! Thanks!!! XO, Pinky
szpinky@aol.com

Bab's Kitchen said...

I love asian flair.

xinex said...

I love your beautiful Asian tablescape, Sue. So pretty. The colors and the dishes are so perfect for the event...Christine

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Sue
What a wonderful nod to Chinese New Year. you know I usually try to celebrate it each year.. and this year.. someone told me it was weeks ago and that i had missed it... so when i did find out it was actually last sunday.. i missed it again!!! ha ha such is life!! I think I like the fact that it gives me a second change to clear my attitude and and ring in the new year!! Love your choices today!!! inspiring xx Julie

Tammy@InStitches said...

I can see why you fell in love with them, they are really pretty and they came with chopsticks !

Kathysue said...

Sue, Very cool, I really love an asian inspired table. I did a post on flowers today and I have a little arrangement I did for Chinese New Years, I think you might like it . Kathysue

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sue, Happy Chinese New Year! I think it is the year of the tiger. This set is a prize! It looks so chic on your table. Are you serving anything Asian? What a fun tablescape. Pass the tea please!
Yvonne

Unknown said...

Wonderful tablescape! Love all the details, Happy Chinese New Year!

Chubby Chieque said...

Gong xi fa cai, Sue...

This is so beautiful. I recall the good old days in the Philippines, where grandma lives. She's chinese and their chinawares are awesome like yours.

Ah... if I know §;-) I could grab all those stuffs for tablescaping sake?

Greetings from a snowy Stockholm.
xoxo

dee dee said...

Sue,
I just love this tablescape! The colors are so rich and fantastic! I'll join your for takeout anyday!

deedee

Maria said...

Hi Sue!
Oh I MUST show this to my sister...
She celebrates Chinese New Year every year...
She'll just love visiting this post!

You did a beautiful job, as always, Sue!
I love the sweet little white flowers you chose for the vase.

I was thinking of you yesterday when I randomly stopped in a thrift shop and found "my mother's dishes" "waiting for me" on a shelf in the bric-a-brac section. I couldn't believe what I was seeing!
I think my father has one plate left of her old set... "Royal Harvest"
I'm sure I'll post about them someday ...
anyway... thanks for being one of the lovely ladies who inspire me ♥
Have a wonderful weekend,
~Maria

bj said...

OMGosh, Sue...I am totally in love with those dishes! WONDERFUL!! Your table is so pretty.

I sure hate that you have those bad headaches...you know, when I was in my 50's..(a hundred yrs ago), I had them, too. Would have to go to bed, sick at my stomach and dizzy...then, I must have "outgrown" them...seldom, if ever, do I have one, now. Wondering now if it was my blood pressure? Not sure but I hope you "outgrow" yours, too...
xo bj

Marigene said...

Sue, beautiful table...love the red with black. I can't believe you would be thinking of selling that beautiful set of dishes...

Unknown said...

Happy Chinese New Year, Sue!! Such a gorgeous table. A dear friend of our was raised in China (his parents are missionaries there) and our kids love having him read things to thing in chinese when he comes over.....those plates would be fun for a dinner party with him :)

Blessings!
Gail

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

So pretty, I wish we had that set up for our chinese year dinner

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

I really love the fabulous colors in this lovely Chinese tablescape. Just perfect for the New Year's celebration. And "take out" sounds wonderful. I mean, why not! It's so quick and easy and sooooooo delicious! Thanks so much for your visits and helpful and fun comments, Sue! I always love hearing from you!
Have a great day! Coralie

Shellbelle said...

Your table is just lovely and had I known, I would have cooked for you. I do love Asian cooking and have dreamed of having a set like this, but I am an expert with my chopsticks and I love my teapot. One of these days maybe, one of these days.

I've read over the last few posts I missed (packing for the big move) and they brought back such memories. Love is…… was so much fun and I think I have a few packed away. Enjoy your book my friend!

Dena Pickle said...

Gorgeous table! I love the boldness of black and red! Perfect Chinese New Year table

Barbara said...

Sue, Your dishes are outstanding and you added just the right touches to make for a fantastic tablescape. You did yourself proud, girl.

Barbara

Life Laugh Latte said...

Who loves Sue? I do! Thanks for swinging by our place. We did a little tablescape spoof via vlog. Mainly because we possess no real decorating talent. You are awesome at the real thing. Love your tablescape. So beautiful. Come by and watch our vlog version. Have a great day. Holly:)

Blondie's Journal said...

Chinese New Years was a perfect time to use these dishes. I think they are very cool. Love the color combo and the teapot is awesome!

xoxo
Janie

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Thanks for your sweet visit -- now we WERE thinking alike - same colors and everything! What fun plates those are.

Sue said...

Love it! The little teapot is perfect. I've wondered how you had space for all your beautiful dishes and glassware. It must be hard to part with even the smallest plate.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Sue...you can't sell these darling dishes! I would love to know what they say! We need someone to interpret for us. :-) Maybe it says, "He who eats from these plates will have a long and prosperous life." :-)
Beautiful tablescape...thanks for sharing it with us! Happy TT!

Sonia said...

Your Chinese New Year tablescape is much more sophisticated than mine was for our Chinese New Year inspired dinner....The colors are wonderful! Can't believe you want to sell them!

Holly Lefevre said...

That is fantastic! My son is a huge fan of Chinese New Year! He would love this table...I'll show him tomorrow am!