Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Someone died, and I have to take food! Help!

Okay, so someone doesn’t really have to die. Maybe your boss had surgery, or your best friend had a baby. It could be that you want to fix dinner for that special someone who doesn’t realize that you a) can’t really cook or b) don’t want to spend the entire day in the kitchen. I have the answer! It is easy, adaptable, and affordable.

*Mom hint-If you are giving food away, buy a disposable aluminum baking pan to prepare it in. You can get them at the grocery store or any dollar store. If someone is in a position to be getting gifts of food, the last thing they want to worry about it getting the pan back to the giver.

Stuffed Shells

This recipe will make 4 servings (2 shells each) and fits in a 9x9 baking dish, or small rectangular pan. If you want to make a 9x13 or larger-double the ingredients. I make a meatless version of this meal. I don’t add meat to the sauce, because so many people don’t eat meat these days. You may brown 1 pound of ground beef or turkey until done, drain and add to the sauce before putting the dish together if you want to. You can also substitute frozen cheese ravioli or tortellini for the shells if you can’t get the shells at your local store.














Ingredients:
8 Frozen Stuffed Pasta Shells (available in the freezer section of the grocery store in a bag, or sometimes in a box)
1 26 oz. (or larger) can or jar of prepared spaghetti sauce (Any brand will do, and any flavor you like will work)
12 oz. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (It also works just fine with cheddar or a blend)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. I generally spray a little Pam in my pan to make washing it easier, it isn’t necessary. Spoon a thin layer of spaghetti sauce into the bottom of the pan. Place the frozen shells (open side up) into the pan, spacing them slightly apart. Spoon the remaining spaghetti sauce over the shells, covering them completely. Cover pan tightly with foil and place in pre-heated oven for 1 hour. Remove foil and sprinkle cheese over the top, return to oven for just about 10 minutes until cheese is melted.

I like to serve this with hot bread, and a green salad. If I am taking it to someone’s home as a gift, I often just pick up a loaf of bread from the grocery bakery to take with it. I assume they can make their own salad. It is embarrassing how many people request “the recipe” for this dish. They are always surprised it was so easy to prepare.
 
 

14 comments:

Vicky Duggins said...

I'm a mom, too, but I still need suggestions and advice. Several times a year I'm asked to a "carry-in" dinner. Everyone seems to take the same old things: potato salad, baked beans, green bean casserole and taco dips. I think this would be something easy but very different for one of those dinners. Thanks for the tips!

Sue said...

Vicky-I still get ideas and suggestions from my Mom, so we are never too old to need new ideas or advice!

flit said...

that looks great.

Moggy said...

Great idea for blog Sue. I had no idea you could buy those shells already stuffed.

J Rodney said...

What a great and easy recipe.

Sue said...

flit-I've never had anyone say they didn't like this. They just don't know how easy it is.

Sue said...

Moggy-You really can't tell the difference, and they are so much easier than stuffing your own.

Sue said...

Frug-it is very easy (and meatless)!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have tried stuffed shells ever, that sounds so complicated, but your recipe is easy enough. Just proves that even mom's can use a little input from another mom. Thanks for the recipe! Rose H.

Sue said...

Rose-thanks for reading. I get some of my best ideas from other moms. We are never too old to learn something new!

Keith Chandler said...

hey mom! it's Keith! love the blog...def. going to try the chicken soup when it gets colder in Phoenix :)

hugs!

Sue said...

Keith-great to "see" you! You really can call me mom! Hope you will check back often.

Anonymous said...

FOR ALL OF YOU GALS THAT DO THE LAUNDRY. FOR INJURED TODDLERS OR WHATEVER, A BOTTLE OF PEROXIDE IS QUTE CHEAP. WHEN THE BLEEDING OCCURS ON THE CLOTHING, JUST POUR SOME PEROXIDE ON IT AND WATCH IT DISAPPEAR!! WORKS JUST GREAT!

Sue said...

Thanks for the hint about peroxide, I've never tried that. Does it work on colored clothes, or just whites?