Friday, February 3, 2012

Simple, Delicious and Good For You!


     I love soup. I think I could be happy having soup every day, even in the summer. My favorites tend to be cream soups, but we know those aren't the best for us. So, I'm always looking for recipes that are both healthy and taste good. I recently read a recipe that sounded delicious and of course I had to change it a bit for our tastes. I think you will like this one.

Hearty Chicken Soup with Beans

Ingredients
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 oz. dried pinto beans
8 oz. dried great northern beans (you can either soak both of the dried bean varieties for 2 hours and drain, or do as I did and in a large pan, cover them with water and bring to a boil, then drain them)
2 T. olive oil
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped (I like to add some of the leaves)
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
pinch of garlic powder
32 oz. chicken broth (low sodium)
2 cups of water


Put the chicken in the crockpot.
You can see that mine was still frozen.


Coarsely chop the celery and carrots and add to the chicken



Add the rinsed and soaked (or slightly boiled and drained) beans to the mix.


Add oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, bay leaves, broth and water.
I set my crockpot to 4 hours on high temperature,
you can adjust yours accordingly.

Before serving remove the bay leaves and shred the chicken.


     My husband had seconds...that always means that it is a success. We just had crackers with ours, but cornbread or a crusty French bread would be delicious.

I am joining Michael @ Rattlebridge Farm for Foodie Friday.
Please visit our hostess.



10 comments:

nannykim said...

This is going on my pinterest list for recipes to try!! I made a soup this week with chicken and quinoa that I loved. This one looks good1

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Oh Yummy ! Looks and sounds so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I also like soup - need to dig around in the freezer to see what I have to make a pot this weekend.
Enjoy your weekend.

dee dee said...

Yummy... we love soup too and you have always passed on some of the greatest recipes!
Dee Dee

NanaDiana said...

I will add this one to the list. MyHero could eat soup 3 times a day. After 35 years of it I am about "souped out"!;>) xo Diana

Patrice said...

Sounds so good!

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh Sue, I love soup and this recipe sounds scrumptious! It's printing right now, thank you for sharing!

koralee said...

This looks amazing....thanks for the recipe...I am always looking for new soups to try. Hope your Monday is amazing. xoxoxo

Angie said...

This does look really good! I can't believe I've only made homemade soup a couple of times...I should make that a goal for next week :)

bj said...

We love soups, too, and especially the creamy ones like Fully Loaded Baked Potato Soup....not healthy AT ALL. :(

Must give this one a try. Sounds good with the beans.:)

Leigh Powell Hines said...

I am all caught up on some posts. This looks great.