Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Touch of Romance


     The menu on my table today is a bit unusual. Click on the picture to enlarge it and you may decided that you are glad you aren't having this meal. I love trying to imagine what it would have been like to be on that ship in 1911. I'm sure the table was elegant, the women were in beautiful gowns and the service was impeccable. I added the menu to my tablescape as this weeks "touch of whimsy" for my Valentine's Day setting. You can see the wine list later on in the post.

Please excuse the smudge on my photos.
I took a food photo before these and had a dirty lens and didn't know it!


     This table doesn't really need much explanation. The white plates are Certified International China and the red plates as well as the ruffled red and white salad plates are Crate and Barrel. I used a pink/red flatware to tie in the pinks in my centerpiece. 



Red roses, pink and red tulips, red netting and
candles reflect off a large circular mirror.



The tiny pitcher is actually a Crate and Barrel soy sauce pitcher,
but I loved it because it was so tiny. It had to come home with me.





They just don't make Valentines the way they used to.












I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
for Tablescape Thursday.

Please visit our lovely hostess.


13 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

What a neat menu, Sue! if i lived during those times I think I would just starve myself! Ox Tongue?!!

Your table is so cute! I love the ruffled edge plates. I can't get enough of Crate & Barrel! Great prices. I love all the candles and the mirror is a nice touch, I always wanted to try something like that. I am due for a tablescape but my mind is blank!

Enjoy your weekend! Any plans to go to the beach?!

XO,
Jane

Barbara F. said...

At first I thought it was a menu from the Titanic!!! A year early, I think? Anyway I would have amused my self with the pastry!!! And tea, and I do love a good marmalade. xo

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your table is so pretty!!
The menu - I see several things on there, I think will pass on. :-D

Anonymous said...

Great job Sue. I like the way you have used things from the past--cards, menu--as complements to your vibrant reds.

NanaDiana said...

What a gorgeous, gorgeous post. How neat to have come across that old menu. Amazing how things change with time, isn't it?

Your table setting is just beautiful and I love it all! xo Diana

Christa said...

Great! My favorite! How did you know that I love stewed prunes and rice?!?!!!! Just kidding, but I do really love every component of your table!! Really nice and it all works well together.

Marigene said...

I love all the red and white, so pretty, Sue. The white/red salad plates are really lovely. I do recognize the white charger plate...I used the same ones this week!

Marlis said...

great old menu.. love that you shared it with us. Your table is fabulously romantic.. gorgeous. xo marlis

dee dee said...

MMMMMmmmmm Sue,
Not sure I would have been head and heals over the 1911 menu... however I am head and heals over your tablescape! Once again you blow me away with the flower arrangements and the layering... great job!
Dee Dee

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

What a lovely table for Valentine's Day! Beautiful clicks.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Sanghamitra.

Maria said...

Hi Sue!
Everything looks so lovely!
Your wine glasses really sparkle in the candlelight!
and...
I love those white dishes! sooo different and pretty!
I hope you and your family are well ~ We are having such a mild winter... I am hoping it stays this way. This confirms that I am not a winter person. I love watching the snow fall, gather a few inches on the ground...but I'm happy to see it melt in a day or two!
Wishing you a happy weekend and a wonderful start to February!
*Maria

xinex said...

I eat ox tail but I've never tried ox tongue.I don't think I can eat it, lol. I love your candle light pictures, Sue, especially the one with enlarged roses....Christine

Tess said...

I love that menu!! But have to agree that the food choices leave a little to be desired. Your table is so pretty for valentines day. Your ruffled plates are adorable!