Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rosemary Chicken with Red Potatoes-Easy & Perfect for Company


A favorite at our house is Rosemary Chicken. It is one of those dishes that my kids request and my husband loves. It is also one of those meals that I have taken to others when they have been sick or had a baby. It is easy to prepare and can be made ahead and put in the oven later in the day if that works best for you.

*Mom hint-we are once again working with raw chicken. Please remember to be very careful with cleanup. Scrub all work areas with hot, soapy water.


I like to make this using a whole cut-up chicken, with the skin on. I think it has more flavor with the skin, and the extra chicken can be reheated, or it wonderful in chicken salad or soups. However, if you prefer to use skinless chicken, it is still very good, it just won’t get as brown. You can also make this recipe with a smaller amount of chicken, just reduce the amount of the other ingredients.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken in pieces (2 wings, 2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks)
6 small red potatoes (any potato will do, I prefer the red ones)
3 T. olive oil
3 tsp. dried rosemary (fresh rosemary is great for this dish, use about half as much as it is stronger)
Sprinkling of salt (I use kosher)

Rinse the chicken pieces and place in a 9x13 inch pan with the skin side up. Wash the potatoes, and slice them in half. Place them randomly in and around the chicken. Drizzle everything with the olive oil, sprinkle on the rosemary and a little bit of salt. Cover tightly with foil, and bake. Here is where it gets a little bit tricky as to the baking time. The chicken you see in the pictures had thick breasts and it was still frozen, so I had to bake it longer than I would have if my chicken pieces had been smaller and not frozen. You want the chicken to be completely done, no pink juices. So, I recommend if you have an average sized chicken and it isn‘t frozen, you bake covered with foil for 1 hour and remove the foil and bake it 30 minutes more until the skin browns. Mine I baked for 2 hours and had the foil off for another 40 minutes.

I served this with roasted brussel sprouts. If you think you hate brussel sprouts, you might try them like this. They taste entirely different. Simply wash the brussel sprouts and cut off the stems, cut them in half and toss them with olive oil and salt. Place them cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake until the cut side turns brown, about 20-25 minutes. I put them in while the chicken is browning with the foil off. Enjoy.



12 comments:

JUST ME said...

I haven't been hungry for weeks...but that looks AMAZING.

BrightenedBoy said...

Sweet Nelly, that post just made me so hungry. I felt fat looking at that food.

Sue said...

just-wish I could send you a plate!

Sue said...

BB-Really, other than the skin on the chicken, it is a healthy meal. The small amount of olive oil is the only added fat. My husband ate that monster piece of chicken, I had a much smaller piece.

Sophie said...

I made this tonight-- even the brussel sprouts-- delicious!

Sue said...

Woo Hoo Sophie! I'm glad to know someone is using the recipes. It really changes the taste of brussel sprouts, doesn't it?

koralee said...

Oh yummy....we all love chicken in our home so this will be a hit when I make it this week! I am always looking for different ideas because I seem to make the same old stuff over and over again. So thank you!
Another big thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such lovely comments. I will be back ...for more yummy ideas!

Sue said...

koralee-thank you for visiting. I hope you like the chicken as much as my family does.

KellyMellyBoBellyBananaFanna said...

This looks delish! Thanks for the great recipe (and pictures)!

By the way, this is a fabulous idea for a blog...

Kelly

http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com

Sue said...

Kelly-Thanks so much for stopping, and for the kind words. I'm still finding my way, so it means so much that you like the concept.

Anonymous said...

I went to the grocery store today to pick up the ingredients to make this delicious recipe. It's in the oven. My house smells amazing. My family will love me tonight :-)

Thank you so much!

Sue said...

A-It is always nice when the family is happy! I hope you enjoy it.