Thursday, March 24, 2011

The French Press

     Not long ago I was telling a friend about some delicious French Pressed coffee that I had enjoyed at Cakes on Walnut, in Champaign, IL. My friend wasn’t sure what French Pressed coffee was. Considering the fact that I am still unable to set a pretty table at my house with all our “redo” mess, I thought this might be a good week to discuss the perfect French Pressed “cup of Joe“.


     My first experience with a French Press pot, was at a nice restaurant at Disney World many years ago. I think I was as impressed with the presentation as I was with the coffee itself. It was served on a silver tray, surrounded by small bowls of lump brown sugar, cinnamon sticks and tiny pitchers of cream. My first sip and I was hooked on the dark, rich flavor. I do find it to be stronger than most coffee and generally top it with a bit of the cream (of course that may be simply because real cream is such a treat). I came home and bought my own press pot.



     The early coffee press was probably made in France, thus the name French Press. It was made from a metal or cheesecloth screen fitted to a rod and pressed down into a pot of boiling water. Today’s pots are generally clear with a plunger like piece that fits snuggly into the pot and has a fine mesh filter. The coffee is prepared by mixing the coffee grounds and boiling water in the pot, allowing it to steep for a few minutes and then slowly pushing the press down into the pot to trap the grounds beneath it. In many ways it is similar to making coffee on the campfire, only you have a way of keeping the grounds out of your cup.

Amazon.com $29.95


     As I said earlier, the presentation is very much a part of the process. Your guests will be pleasantly surprised when you bring a French Press to the table. The aroma of the coffee beans, the time element of waiting for it to be the perfect color and the assortment of treats to add to the coffee and serve with the coffee make it an “event” at the end of the meal.

Sur La Table-$39.95

I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday
Make sure to visit the most "famous" weekly party in Blogland!


23 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

If I was a coffee drinker...I think I would just have to own one of these.

Blessings,
Linda

Ricki Treleaven said...

I only use a coffee press! I love them! And Starbucks will grind your coffee for a French press!!!

NICE post :D

Terri Gordon said...

Hello, I received one for Christmas this year and now that is all I use, love, love, love it. The coffee tastes just like it smells, no burned or cooked flavor. Everyone should try one. Thanks for sharing. Terri

Designs on 47th Street said...

I have always wondered about a French press. thanks for filling us in. Do you buy whole beans for this pot? I would assume so.
Donna

Kathleen said...

That tray in Disney sounds luxurious!

Blondie's Journal said...

This is all very interesting. I had heard of French presses but didn't know how they worked. I may just get one!

XO,
Jane

Carolyn said...

Nice post! LOVE French press coffee. I have three French press pots. Have yet to USE one of them though. Well, actually I did use one of them once and realized I had ground the coffee beans too much. So then bought a $100 grinder. heh. I really need to get my French presses out of the boxes and give it another go!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I had coffee from a French press while on vacation in Hawaii one time. I loved it and still haven't bought one. Wasn't sure how you do the coffee.

Barbara F. said...

Hi Sue. I've had coffee once or twice that was made in a French press. I really enjoy my coffee.. I should pick one up in my shopping travels some time. What is it about Disney and the food there? Everything is just too delicious and over the top. xo,

Patrice said...

I love French press coffee - I love any kind of STRONG coffee...LOL!

Unknown said...

Sounds great!
Have a sweet day!

A Perfect Setting said...

Our favorite restaurant makes their coffee this way and we adore it!

bj said...

I've never seen one of these..I have, however, heard of them. One of my grandson's LOVES good coffees and I just know he would love this to death. I will get him one for his birthday in July. Hope I remember it...
Hope your kitchen work is coming along good. Can't wait to see it.:)
O, and I hope you WILL try this orange cake ..it is really good. Just wish I knew where I got the recipe from. :(

Maria said...

I love my french press, Sue... Nothing like a clean cup of coffee... no plastic tubes inside of a coffeemaker in need of a vinegar cleaning "bitter taste" ... just pure coffee flavor.

I also recently made up my own economy "Keurig" coffee with tea filter bags. I put my desired amount of coffee grounds {for me one tablespoon} in the tea filter bag... place in coffee cup, pour hot {not boiling} water and wait a few minutes. Perfect cup of coffee for one! I love it!
*Happy coffee break!
~Maria

Monica H said...

I love french press coffee. I bought a press a while back and after using it once, I knocked it off the shelf and shattered the carafe. I was PO'd and threw the whole thing in the trash, not knowing that I could have just bought a replacement glass piece. Now I know. I still prefer espresso, but if it's ever of the menu, I do order french press coffee. It is such a treat. especially with a melt in your mouth shortbread cookie :-)

Marigene said...

I love my coffee done in a French press, the stronger the better!

Relyn Lawson said...

Can you believe it? I'm not a coffee drinker -or tea? What's wrong with me?

Anonymous said...

I should retrieve my French press coffee maker from the give away bag that is sitting on my front porch right now! I like the coffee, but once I got the Nespresso machine I never used it.

Pondside said...

I love my French Press, or cafetiere, as we call it. I have a two cup and a four cup, because sometimes I drink alone, and sometimes with friends. It's the best coffee!

Kathy said...

When I was back in D.C. my son-n-law made me a french press coffee, it was seriously THE best coffee I have ever had. The coffee was from Italy and so that might have had something to do with it, but I swore I was gonna get me one of those. However I get home and I have an espresso maker that I just got from my Dad for my birthday and that's great too, but that French pressed coffee I will never forget, and so simple!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I've never had french press coffee. Sounds like a fun future treat!

dee dee said...

Sue,
A dear friend gave me a French Press for Christmas two years ago and I've never used it, however your post has inspired me to get it out and give it a try! Thanks for the information and nudging!
Dee Dee

Entertaining Women said...

I use mine for loose tea leaves. It is indeed a lovely experience. Thank you for sharing about the French Coffee Press. Cherry Kay