Friday, April 9, 2010

Foodie Friday-Inspiration from the South

     It is Foodie Friday, and while I haven't been doing much in the way of cooking...I have had some wonderful southern foods that I hope to recreate when I get home. The last few days that my husband was with me in Florida, we would take a break from the hospital and go to one of our favorite Sarasota area restaurants for a late lunch. Of course I kept my camera in my purse, you just never know when you might find a blog picture!


     The first day we went out, it was raining. So, even though Phillippi Creek Village is a waterfront restaurant, you only get the food photo. The above is a Lobster Reuben Sandwich. It was heavenly. There was a layer of purple cabbage slaw, topped with tons of lightly breaded and fried lobster chunks, topped with a layer of melted white cheddar cheese on a soft sesame bun. It was the chef's special of the day and isn't on the regular menu. I can't tell you how delicious it was.


     Our next outing was to Sharky's on the Pier. The storm the day before really had the gulf a bit wild and windy. We had lunch outside and it was a wonderful break from sitting around the hospital.


We started with their Salmon Spread, which is slightly sweet with a bite of heat. Yum.


I ordered an appetizer for lunch and it was one of those
foods that almost makes you purr when you eat it.


     It is a Brie and Apple Pizza. Crunchy flatbread topped with thin slices of Granny Smith apples, big chunks of brie cheese, toasted almonds and a mango glaze...to die for! It was melty and gooey, it was the perfect lunch and would also be wonderful to serve at a cocktail party.


My husband is more traditional in his eating habits. He had fried shrimp.


     I have a few more wonderful foods to share with you, but since my mom isn't hungry for "real food" I'm not cooking nearly as much as I thought I would be. I think I'll save a few things for next week. Please join Michael at Designs by Gollum to see all of the great recipes and yummy treats.


14 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

The sandwiches look great! I never heard of apple and brie pizza but I love trying new food and the food of the locals. That is the best part about traveling to me.

I hope your mom is doing better, Sue.

xoxo
Jane

Kathleen said...

Oh I know I would love the brie and apple!

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Oh that salmon spread looks yummy! Sue, I've been missing you and your visits. Glad you're back and hopefully all things are going well for you and yours!
Hugs,
Coralie

Kathleen said...

I wish I had an apple and brie pizza right now! WOW

Jenny said...

will. not. drool. over. this. post.

OK, I already did.

Terri Smith said...

Oh my goodness..what wonderfully delicious photos! That apple with the brie looked absolutely FABULOUS! And the beautiful ocean along with those billowing clouds, put the icing on the cake! Thank you for sharing such a gorgeous day with us!

Blessings, Joy and Friday Sunshine, Terri

Sandra said...

Yummy! Everything looks delish! It's good to see you posting:)
Blessings,
Sandra

xinex said...

The food looks delicious, Sue. I would love to try that lobster sandwich and the apple brie. Hope you are enjoying your FL stay and hope your hubby's ok....Christine

J Rodney said...

Are you sure you are not already a Floridian in spirit?

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

It looks so good Sue! I am glad your mom is doing better. Beautiful pictures!

XOXO
Jen

Natasha in Oz said...

Oh boy, that brie and green apple pizza looked so good! What a great combination for a pizza. Thanks for sharing that!

I am so glad that everything is looking better for your mum and that you were able to enjoy some romantic lunch dates with hubby.

Best wishes,
Natasha.

BrightenedBoy said...

That lobster sandwich sounds amazing, and the apples and fried shrimp both looked very good. Nice to know that you were able to have some enjoyment during that trip.

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

I'd love to have that salmon spread, right now..., it's late in the afternoon, and I'm getting hungry!!

Angie said...

The lobster sandwich sounds amazing! Great photos of the water :)