Sunday, March 14, 2010

It All Starts With a Plastic Egg-Met Monday


Many of you who visit me often know that I don't do a lot of "craft" projects. If it requires paint, paper or glue, I'm just not that good at it. I still make the effort on occasion and sometimes I'm actually happy with the result. I did a quick project last week that was inexpensive, easy and I was pleasantly surprised with the finished product.

Supplies:

Mod Podge Classic (the first I've bought since I was a teenager)
1 dozen plastic eggs (I used white so that no color would show through)
1 standard size sheet of tissue paper in your choice of pattern, torn into pieces
1 sponge paintbrush



I selected a sheet of tissue paper that didn't scream Easter, so I could
leave the eggs out longer. This would also work with any color of tissue.
The above tissue is still folded, you will need most of a full sheet.


Tear the tissue into pieces.


"Paint" the egg with a coating of Mod Podge. Place one piece of tissue on the eggs and smooth it out. Cover the piece that is on the egg with Mod Podge and put another piece of the tissue on the egg, overlapping the first piece. Paint that second piece of tissue with the Mod Podge and apply a third piece and so on, until the entire egg is covered. I didn't worry about lining up the pattern or making the tissue perfectly smooth on the egg. The Mod Podge will hold down any creases or wrinkles. The main thing is to avoid leaving any of the egg exposed. I used a styrofoam egg carton and placed the wet eggs in it on their sides. After one side was dry, I rotated the egg to let the other side dry.


I used an old twig basket, lined it with some moss
and added the eggs and a spring bow for a bit of color.


For this last picture I used the flash and it made the overlapping layers show more than they really do when you are looking at them. It was the only way I could get a picture that was bright enough to show you the details. This entire project took less than an hour and believe me, if I can do it...anyone can.


I am linking this to Metamorphisis Monday. Please join our hostess
Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch to see a variety of wonderful projects.

23 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Very cute Sue...you did a great job on these and I love that you can leave them out during the year...thanks for sharing...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Great idea Sue! I am going to give it a whirl! I like the colors you picked too!
Cindy

Barbara said...

Sue You did an outstanding job, the eggs are darling. I am like you, I love to do crafts, but not very creative. I need something to follow.

Barbara

Rettabug said...

EGG-selent Idea! They almost look like porcelain in the basket. I could kick myself for all the beautifully patterned tissue paper I've thrown away over the years. I may give this a try just for the fun of it. Thanks for the idea!

Maria said...

What a great idea! I'll be at Michael's today for wedding / shower ideas... I'll look around for Mod podge... the eggs look great, Sue... especially in that basket and with that bow on top! {love the bow}
~Maria

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sue, These eggs are eautiful!Oh, you did a great job- even for a master crafter. I love the tissue paper you chose. Such an interesting and chic color!
I always love to vist you. Have a blessed day, friend.
Yvonne

dee dee said...

Sue fantastic idea! I could do this with the kids! See you can do art! Love the tissue paper you used!
Dee Dee

Unknown said...

Those are just DARLING! love them, and the great idea too! JGG

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love the patterned paper you chose. You can leave those out all the time. Super job.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

Red Couch Recipes said...

Those are very classy eggs...i just love them. Joni

Relyn Lawson said...

That looks great! Thanks for sharing it. This would be fun to do with my class.

Nazarina A said...

This is just darling!Forget those Faberge eggs, I would like these!

Kathysue said...

Sue those eggs turned out really well. I think maybe you are more crafty than you think you are. I wanted to be sure and come by and thankyou for always leaving a comment when you visit, I so appreciate it. I think you should use these sweet eggs for inspiration for an Easter table even if it is just for the two of you. We all need a little Special in our lives. I hope you do some Special for yourself, you deserve it, Kathysue

honeysuckle said...

Love those eggs! It looks like it took a lot of patience, but the results are beautiful! Have a great day!

Holly Lefevre said...

I am totally doing this...your eggs look amazing. Someone did a wreath using book covered eggs...SO CUTE!

Holly

PS-Mod Podge comes in sparkle and gold and silver glitter (or sparkle) too!

Jenny said...

These are just beautiful. What a wonderful idea!

Carey said...

I love this idea so much! I am going to try it. I love the pattern you used
Love,
Carey

amanda c from the middle of nowhere said...

I appreciate your sharing all the details, as some of your readers are beginners when it comes to crafts. ; )

Sandra said...

Hi Sue. I love how you decorated the eggs. I've been contemplating on how to decorate some plastic eggs I have. Thank you for sharing yours:)
Blessings,
Sandra

Sue said...

Most crafters say they aren't very good. These eggs look great.

BrightenedBoy said...

Those eggs look marvelous.

Americana Lady said...

These eggs are very cool! I have seen some on other blogs but they really do look different depending on the paper used. Happy Spring! Joan