Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Do You Need One More Thing On Your Menu?

You know those meals where you just need "one more thing" to fill in the menu...this is the salad for you. It takes only a few minutes to make and doesn't require a ton of ingredients. I've had this recipe for 30 years. It says that I got it from Carol Johnson. Who is Carol Johnson?


Cauliflower Salad Ingredients:
1 head cauliflower, washed and broken into bite sized pieces
1 green pepper chopped
1 jar pimento drained (small or large jar-you can find this with the vegetables)
1 can pitted ripe olives drained (any size olives-these are medium)
optional-1 onion chopped (I don't use onions when I cook)

1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
juice from 1 lemon or 2 T. bottled lemon juice
3 T. vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil



Put cauliflower, pepper, pimento, olives and onion (optional) in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, sugar...pour on lemon juice, vinegar and oil. Toss to cover all the salad ingredients. You can serve immediately, but it is even better if it sits in the refrigerator for a while and marinates. It is very easy to double this recipe for a larger crowd.



The colors make this salad a nice addition to a Christmas meal. I like the leftovers as a meatless lunch. Enjoy!


9 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

This looks absolutely wonderful, Sue. I bet it would make a great summer salad too.

Yeah...I know what you mean about 'just one more thing'! Sometimes I think about my menu and wonder if I am coming up short!

I hope you & your family have a blessed Thanksgiving!

xoxo
Janie

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Looks delicious. I could really use Cauli Flower more often too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

koralee said...

Why oh why do I always visit you when I am hungry??? I so want some of this salad right now!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That salad looks so yummy! Thanks for the recipe. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

XOXO
Jen

Maria said...

I love how colorful this salad is! (and nutritious too ;o)
Happy Thanksgiving!
~Maria

Barbara said...

Sue, The salad looks and sounds great. I will have to try it sometimes.

Hope tomorrow is a Blessed and Happy day for you and your family.

Barbara

Unknown said...

I am such a SALAD GIRL! love them! this looks so tasty, thank you for sharing it with all of us. Have a yummy wonderful Thanksgiving! Jen ;)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sue- RIGHT BACK AT YOU!!!!!
Happy Thanksgiving, friend!
Yvonne

nannykim/spindle cottage said...

I do a similar salad --but this one is simpler and a splendid idea (except I have to go very low fat---but I can still use this idea! Thanks!)