Monday, January 9, 2012

Show and Tell


     People alway say to us that we are so lucky to be able to spend Christmas at Disney World. Well, I do feel lucky to be in Orlando for the holiday...because it means I get to see my daughter. I also love the warm weather (which was in the 80's this year) and I admit that the decorations are stunning. However, we actually spend very little time "doing Disney" at that time of year. You see, everyone on the planet seems to come to Orlando for Christmas. The crowds both in the Disney parks, in malls and on the Orlando highways are unbelievable. We joke that it changes our personalities. We head to Florida full of love and Christmas spirit and by the time we are there a few days  we are walking about saying "I hate people" every few minutes! 

     One of the things we never miss seeing is the Osborne Light Show at Disney's Hollywood Studios.  Arkansas resident Jennings Osborne and his family were very big on the Holidays. In 1986, Jennings asked his youngest daughter Breezy what her Christmas wish was. She replied that she would like to see their whole house covered in lights.  That first year the Osborne family covered their home with a 1000 red lights. With each passing year, the family added more and more lights, eventually buying property adjacent to their own in order to make the "show" larger.

     The display grew to millions of lights. There were flashing lights, multi-colored lights, custom-made light sculptures and a 75-foot Christmas tree adorned by lights. So many people came from all over Arkansas causing traffic jams that the local residents asked that the Osborne family stop the annual display. In 1995, Disney's Hollywood Studios became the home of this dazzling light show. Approximately 80% of the lights that are on display come from the original Osborne collection. During the holiday season, once evening descends, this amazing display of 4 million lights springs to life. Formerly drab buildings become twinkling light sculptures, while a host of angels fly overhead. Florida "snow" flutters down while Christmas tunes fill the air.
    











10 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing. I had read the history of the light show some time ago, but had forgotten about it. I have not been there during the holidays, but have heard it is a zoo. :D

Barbara F. said...

I can just imagine how beautiful it is, but for me, I couldn't deal with the crowds or standing and walking around for long periods of time. Thanks for sharing. xo

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

that is just amazing !! Great pictures.

NanaDiana said...

I have been there and done Disney at Christmas. We are going this year-mid February! lol I hate crowds! xo Diana

Mary Bergfeld said...

It is hard to imagine one family doing all of this. It is lovely. This is my first visit to your blog so I took some extra time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

bj said...

O, Suz, I can't even imagine how beautiful this must be in person. A visit here is on my Bucket List..:))

dee dee said...

Sue,
I must say... this display is jaw dropping beautiful!
Dee Dee

xinex said...

Wow, Sue! This is really spectacular and magical! You know we lived in FL for years and even had annual passes to Disney but never been there during Christmas.....Christine

Jacqueline said...

Ok, I am going to have to go to DW now too to see the lights. We went back in 1996 when my daughter got to march in the Christmas Parade, but I am afraid I don't remember enough and need to refresh my memory. I certainly don't remember anything like this. Isn't it funny that the two parks have so many differences? Really the beignets are southern not Californian and should be there. I would love to do Florida too. I think I could even stand the crowds although they are certainly a ton more than they were in 1996!

Entertaining Women said...

I love Disney World...especially with my precious grandsons. We were there this Spring. Thank you for sharing the light show with us. Cherry Kay