Monday, May 2, 2011

Working On the Front Porch and a Happy Week Ahead!

     With all the rain we have had, I haven't been in a big hurry to get outside and dress the house up for spring. Saturday we finally had a day at home with a few hours of sunshine. We made a trip to our favorite nursery and bought some plants and started the outside work.


     The old chair has a few spring touches. I will deepen the colors for summer, but I'm going to enjoy the pastels for a little while first.


My porch isn't very big, so I have limited options.
I like to use this skinny church to add a little height.


     I ordered the tulip doormat from Amazon, but we are having trouble with it. When it rains, the mat gets wet and it leaves a brown stain on the porch. It also takes forever to dry. So, while I like it...as soon as a I find a new one, it is gone. No more mats made of this material for me.


I love geraniums.


     This is my favorite week of the year at our house. Our daughter is home! We see her 3 or 4 times a year, but she only comes home once a year and there is just something so wonderful about knowing she is sleeping in her room. We have fun when we see her in Orlando, but it just isn't the same as having her home. We picked her up in Indianapolis yesterday and she is staying until next Monday. We don't have big plans, but we have a few things scheduled for the week if we can keep the rain away. Our plans for yesterday were somewhat of a mess. We planned to leave the airport and go to Broad Ripple Village, and area of galleries and shops in Indianapolis. We didn't realize that they would be having a biking marathon and the shops were closed. We got out of the car, walked where we could and got out quickly!


     We planned to eat at a restaurant in Carmel, IN called the Jersey Cafe. We saw it on the Food Channel and thought it would be fun to try it. We drove several miles to get there and it was closed on Sundays! So, we just started for home and stopped in Terre Haute, IN at Cheeseburger in Paradise.


We shared some fried dill pickles...


I had chips with a variety of dips, 
my daughter and my husband had burgers.


Things didn't work out as planned,
but we still had a good time.


I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
for Met Monday. Please stop in and say hello.

17 comments:

Ricki Treleaven said...

Your porch looks great. The skinny church with the flower in front is fantastic! Love it. Great job!!!! Your porch is so welcoming.

J Rodney said...

I love your porch! The food looks good too:)

Red Couch Recipes said...

Glad your daughter is home and that you can finally decorate your porch a bit. Today we have sunshine and I want to bask in it like a cat. I hope the rain stays away for you. Joni

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, your porch looks great and enjoy your visit with your daughter.

Barbara F. said...

Enjoy your mother-daughter quality time! The porch looks great. I love the tall skinny church. xo,

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your porch decor is very pretty. Sorry your plans did not work out, but know you are excited about your daughter being there.
I will be so glad when the storms and rain are over with here - I am water logged.

dee dee said...

Sue,
It's monday and I get to catch up.....
Welcome Home to your daughter, so sorry that things did not go as planned with her pick up, Indy is such a great city to explore will you have to do that on your return trip? Love, your adorable tablescape! And the rain.... we are getting too much here too! From what I've heard this is the second most amount of rain since the big flood in 1934, how I believe it. At least my grass is green! Love youe front porch! Enjoy you visit with your daughter!
dee dee

xinex said...

How nice to have your daughter home, Sue. I know it's such a good feeling knowing she's around. Your porch is looking great, so inviting. I like the tall church and the geraniums are pretty...Christine

koralee said...

Your porch is lovely....and deep fried dill pickles sound amazing.

Hugs for a great week. xoxo

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
Your porch is looking nice and springy!! like how you have the birdcage in the chair and the flowers twined around. Very pretty.
Cute lil birdhouse too. I love birdhouses for some reason!! lol
So glad you have your daughter with you, I know you are beyond thrilled. We Mom's love having those chicks back in the nest, just such great memories and feels like old times.
Hope you guys have the most Wonderful time of your life!!
Too bad about your rug it is really cute, but
I have experienced that too, it's rather annoying...........
Blessings hon, Nellie

bj said...

Your porch is looking mighty good! Love that tall church in the corner.
I know how you feel about having your girl sleeping in her bed...so comforting. I feel that way having both my children and their families right here close. I am blessed and I never forget it.
Have fun with her...hoping the rain lets you do the things you have planned. Oh, I know...just send it out here to West Texas.:))
xoxo bj

Rettabug said...

How sweet that tall church looks at your entry, Sue! Great idea for adding height. I'll have to look for something similar.

I know you're having a grand time with your DD home. I cherish the times mine comes over. She is so busy with 3 kids that we rarely get to spend any time together. The kids are high maintenance!!

Enjoy this special week with her there.
Hugs,
Rett

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Great decorating touches on your cute porch Sue!
And enjoy your time with you daughter, I know how you feel, my son is in AZ. and I only get him back home once a year too!
Hugs,
Cindy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sue, I'm taking a moment to check in with you and say thanks for the prayers. I'm doing a little better today, but I'm afraid to push it.

I'm so happy that your daughter is home and that you're getting to enjoy that time together. I remember going home to visit my mother for two week trips, and it was always so special. Looks like you are having a great time already... food looks yummy! And your doorstep decor is adorable. Have fun!

XOXO,

Sheila :-)

Shellbelle said...

You know what they say about the best laid plans, but when you've got family with you, the details don't matter!

Those sauces look SO good, I am a saucy gal and will try anything that has a yummy looking sauce.

I must say, I do like the photos of your cute front porch much better than the mud in your backyard, lol.

Hugs

LindyLouMac said...

I understand just how you feel with your daughter under your roof, great feeling, enjoy. I love the way you dress your home and porch according to the seasons.

Angie said...

I love that chair on your porch, Sue! Looks great with the other pastel touches :)