Friday, January 21, 2011

Slow Cooker Italian Stew With Gnocchi


     My dad gave me a recipe when he was here over Christmas. It was something he had tried at his local grocery store and then he had made it at home and really liked it. I wasn't able to get the exact ingredients in my part of the country, but I took his recipe and adapted it to what I could get and this is what I came up with.

Ingredients:

2 pounds beef stew meat
1 medium onion
1 3 oz bag sundried tomatoes
1 14 oz. can beef broth
1 24 oz. jar marinara sauce
1 16 oz. package gnocchi pasta
dried spaghetti sauce mix (use about 1 heaping T. from envelope)
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
Parmesan cheese to garnish if desired


     Put all the ingredients except the gnocchi into the slow cooker. I left my sundried tomatoes whole. Next time I would slice them. I also left the onion whole. I don't eat onions, but I like the flavor. This way I could remove the onion after cooking.


     Cook in slow cooker 4-6 hours (I did mine 4 hours on the high setting). Put in gnocchi for the last 20 minutes of cooking time. The gnocchi should be tender and the meat should be falling apart.


I served the stew with the bread I made here.


This one was a hit with my husband.

I'm joining Michael @ Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday.
Please take some time to check out all this week's
wonderful recipes!


20 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

I made the Crusty Bread from last week. I subsituted the rye flour with ground flax seed. The bread was delicious! Thanks for the great recipe!
Deb

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Looks delicious, Sue! I love gnocchi, but I've never tried to make it. But I must just give this a whirl. Thanks for the recipe.

XO,

Sheila :-)

koralee said...

Yummmmm....now I will be craving this dish all day...make your Friday special my friend .xoxox

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Yum - That looks so good. I need a bowl of it about now. Cold morning.
Enjoy your weekend.

Kim @ Touch of Nostalgia said...

Oh that looks so good on this cold day! Even better with your bread. :)

Have a wonderful 'warm' weekend. :)

~ Kim

Blondie's Journal said...

I am always looking for recipes for the slow cooker and I love gnocchi! Thanks so much, Sue. I am going to get the ingredients and make this!

XO,
Jane

Donnie said...

That looks delicious and I bet it was.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh YUM!! Sue this looks so good and YUMMY!!
Hugs and smiles Gloria

Miz Helen said...

Your slow cooker Italian Stew looks wonderful for a cold day. I would like to invite you to my Full Plate Thursday, the linky will be open all week end. Thank you for sharing and you have a good week end!

La said...

We love gnocchi. I'll have to give this recipe a try. I like that it can be done in the crock pot, which makes it great for week night dinners.

Shellbelle said...

Oh, this looks yummy. I'm going to give it a try with chicken. I have to hurry up though, the weather is warming up here a bit and we're not having any of those cold, cold nights any more. Still chilly in the evening though, so before I get in the salad mode, I'm going to make this!

Have a great weekend.

Sophie said...

We had gnocchi on NYE, but not this way. Looks good so I am going to have to try it!

Lynn said...

Looks great Sue! I love gnocchi, also think leaving the onion whole is a great idea too:@)

Patrice said...

My husband loves gnocchi - I'll have to make this for him!

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Oh Sue.. I LOVE gnocchi.. love it.. but it's a no no for me on the insulin diet.. arrggh... I have a friend who is a gourmet chef and she makes the best gnocchi I have ever tasted.. and even makes the gnocchi from scratch... and the sauce... if you are feeling a little experimental.. is made from capsicum... I wouldn't have thought I would like it.. but it's fantastic... Now I have said that.. I don't have the recipe for the sauce.. haha.. so ooops... but I think they are sundried capsicums so very similar to what you have here... and boy.. your's looks delicious too!!!

Have a great weekend... ciao ciao xxx Julie

Drawn to The Sea said...

No mammal or bird here, but I can tell you from experience this would be fabulous with lobster! Sounds very much like a lobster gnocchi dish I order in Cayman.

Gypsy Heart said...

Hmmmm, looks wonderful! I think this is something I might try for my son & his family...they love dishes like this. Thanks for sharing!

xoxo
Pat

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
would you mind dropping by to see me....
I have a lil surprise for you hon.
Hope you enjoy it!

blessings, Nellie
and that Italian stew looks to die for!!
Yum!!

Angie said...

I've only ever had gnocchi at restaurants but have often thought about making it at home when I pass by it in the grocery store. This looks like a great recipe to try for my first at-home gnocchi experience!

Unknown said...

Beautiful as always, Sue. I especially liked the recipe in the spiral bound notebook. My mom, and now I, have one just like it. I imagine every family has one. Beautiful photos.