Friday, March 19, 2010

Not Just Another Chicken Casserole-Foodie Friday


     I think we all have those casserole recipes that are our "go to" recipes, when we want comfort food. This chicken casserole is one of mine. I've had this recipe forever, I don't remember the original source.



Ingredients:
3 cups cooked chicken (I boiled skinless, boneless chicken tenders-but any cooked chicken would work)
2 cups chopped celery
1 cup cheddar cheese-shredded or crumbles
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sour cream (reg. or light)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (reg. or light)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 roll Ritz crackers (or any butter type cracker)
2 T. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix the chicken, celery, cheese, almonds, sour cream, mayonnaise, soup and water chestnuts. Mix well. Put into a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Crush the crackers and mix with melted butter, sprinkle on top of chicken mixture. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until bubbly and the crumbs are lightly browned.





Note: I am trying to keep up with all of your wonderful blogs and return your visits. It has been a difficult few weeks at my house and I'm having trouble staying focused on things. My mom, who is never sick, became very ill 3 weeks ago. She is in Florida and I'm in Illinois. She has been in and out of the hospital, is currently back in and they are trying to get some answers to her situation. She is very private, so I haven't shared this here. She and my dad have asked my sister and I not to come yet, as there really isn't anything we can do...and we are trying to respect their wishes, but it isn't easy. I would really appreciate any prayers, good thoughts or positive energy you could send her way. She's the best mom in the world and I hate this. Thank you.

 Please join Michael @ Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday. Please visit her and take a look at all of the great recipes linked there.



20 comments:

Kathleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathleen said...

The casserole looks wonderful..
Sue, I will pray for your mom. I know how difficult this is...I have been through it. Keep us updated..

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That casserole sounds delicious. I am sorry to hear that you mom isn't well. That would be hard being that far apart. I know you want to go be with her. I will certainly keep her in my prayers. Hope all is well and have a great weekend if you can!

The Fajdich Times said...

Your casserole sounds so good. Hope all goes well with your mom.

Melinda said...

Now this is real comfort food and it sounds like you could use some right now! It's hard to be so far from those you love when they're ill - I pray that you're mom will soon be well.

dee dee said...

Sue,
The casserole sounds so yummy.
I am so sorry to hear about your mom.
Thank you for sharing with us, I'll be sure to say extra prayers for you and your wonderful family. I understand how concerning it is to have a loved one ill, yet so far away. In prayer... Dee Dee

Karen said...

Sue, the casserole recipe sounds absolutely wonderful. But more important is the prayers outbound for your Mom. And lots of positive vibes too. Please keep us posted when you learn something.
Hugs. Karen

Glenda/MidSouth said...

First - I want to say I hope and pray your Mom has a fast and full recovery. Not knowing is so stressful.
The casserole sounds so good. I love good casseroles/one dish meals, along with a little salad and a crunchy artisan bread - my kind of meal!

Rettabug said...

Oh Sue, this looks & sounds delicious! Serve it on your beautiful tablescape from Thurs. & I am sooooo there!
I'm still recovering from St. Patty's day so no new tables from me. Have to put away all that green stuff first!
Thanks for the recipe.
fondly,
Rett

Maria said...

Mmmm looks delicious, Sue ~ wish I could come over for supper ;o)

* * *
I will keep you and your mom in my prayers, Sue...
It's so heartfelt having parents that are getting on in years. My father is going to be 86. I try not to worry, but it's always there.
Sending prayers to heaven to lighten the heart.
Take care,
~Maria

Gypsy Heart said...

Looks delish! I wish I had some right now. It is very cold & rainy here ~ would be a warm dish to savor.

I am so very sorry about your mom. I will definitely pray for her, you & your family and the medical team. I hope answers will be found soon and the healing begin. I do understand about the concern and not being there ~ it is not easy. Just know that there is such power in all the prayers sent up for her!

xoxo
Pat

koralee said...

Wishing your mom lots of blessings and sending love your way. Your chicken dish looks amazing and this is one I will be trying. xoxox

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Oh Sue, I sure will pray for your Mom, and Dad too! Let me know how I can pray if you need anything specific! Your recipe sounds wonderful. I am going to make it next week. I'll post it on my SG Weekly Menu. Thanks!
Yvonne

Sophie said...

Sorry to hear about your mother, Sue. The girls and I will remember her in our prayers this week.

Joyce said...

Prayers for your Mom and being in the sandwich generation is not easy especially living so far apart. Doing this right now with my FIL who is up North and we are South. Now the casserole is one I like to eat for my comfort food:)
Joyce

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Oh I do hope your Mom is o.k...keep me posted and take care of yourself too! x0x0x

Rattlebridge Farm said...

We all need a "go to" chicken casserole, and the ingredients add up to a keeper! Bless your heart for linking to Foodie Friday with so much going on. I'm sending up prayers for you and your mom.
XX00

Carol said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Sending prayers & hugs your way.

Sue said...

Thinking of you all and keeping all in my prayers. Take care! Sue

Holly Lefevre said...

This look absolutely delicious. I don;t make a lot of casseroles...neither id my mom, but I think my family would eat this up.