Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Family Favorite-Old Fashioned Corn Pudding (Easy)


I have had this recipe since I was first married. It is one of those easy "go to" recipes that goes well with anything. It has the texture of a custard, is slightly sweet and is best served the day you make it. You can reheat it and it will still taste good, but it isn't pretty!


Ingredients:
3 eggs beaten (I use a whisk or a fork)
1/4 cup sugar
1 T. flour
1 cup milk (I use skim)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 can cream style corn
4 T. butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter in a baking dish (9x9, round or fluted) while mixing remaining ingredients. Add flour to sugar and whisk into eggs. Add milk, salt and cream corn and stir. Pour melted butter into corn mixture, leaving just enough in the pan to grease it. Stir. Bake 50 to 60 minutes until mixture is set and top is browned.


Beating the eggs

All the ingredients in greased pan

Ready to serve. This dish is best served on the table in the dish you bake it in, particularly if you are having guests. It isn't all that pretty on the plate, and can get a little bit watery as it sits.


With glazed pork chops and spinach salad

17 comments:

erin said...

I make something just like this except I throw in a couple handfuls of sharp cheddar cheese. My kids want cheese in everything...

Terri Smith said...

I'll be making this tonight! For Sure! Thank you so much for sharing this delightful recipe! My maternal grandmother use to make this dish when I'd visit her in the summertime. I sincerely appreciate the memory you gave me this morning.

Blessings, joy and sunshine, Terri

Tammy@InStitches said...

I've never made it before but I'm going to now !

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh wow, Sue! Does this ever bring back memories! My mom used to make corn puddng all the time! I haven't thought about it in years. Thanks so much for the recipe! Happy week...hugs...Debbie

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sue I love corn pudding. Your recipe sounds wonderful! I like that you baked it in a fluted pie plate. This would make it not only very pretty, but it would cook a little quicker.
I'll have to put this on the menu!
Yvonne

dee dee said...

Sue, another recipe that makes my mouth water!
Wish I would have had it to go with my pork chops on Monday, instead of the can of Bushes Baked beans!
Dee Dee

Bill said...

Hi Sue,
Your recipe sounds great (and easy!). I'll definitely give it a try sometime. It's thoughtful of you to include helpful serving suggestions.

I appreciated the lovely comment you left for me. I agree that the plates I used do resemble the square white ones you used in your wonderful spring tablescape. No, the dramatic painting of a rose above the fireplace isn't one I did. My friend Yvonne painted it a few years ago. It's done with a palette knife only (no brushes), and I think her technique, and having so many areas of pure, unblended color, make it so vibrant.

Thank you for your visits and comments. It's always great to hear from you!

Bill

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

OMG, that sounds so good. I love any kind of corn recipe. I love that it is easy.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Sounds just awesome Sue! You are quite the cook, thanks for sharing it too! Cindy

Life Laugh Latte said...

I've never made it or eaten it. But, if you make it...I know I'm going to! Thanks...Holly

Low Tide High Style said...

I love love love corn pudding! We make it every year for Thanksgiving and Easter, and after seeing yours it makes me wonder why I don't fix just for the heck of it! Thanks for helping me break out of my "holiday" food only shell!

Kat :)

Jenny said...

I love, love, love corn pudding. It is almost sweet which is probably why I adore it. Thanks for reminding me of this recipe. Yum.

Sophie said...

I don't think I have ever had this.

FYI: If you haven't already, you should join this new blogging community: http://tiny.cc/ldhRZ

I joined today, but I think your blog is a perfect fit.

Lyneen said...

YUMMY this looks great!!!!! making me hungry.... Thanks for stopping by.

Maria said...

Hi Sue! My recipe calls for corn muffin mix... but when I don't have it around... it's nice to have this recipe! I just love this stuff... definitely falls into the 'comfort food' category! Up too late again tonight! Gads...it's 12:24!

~Maria

DUTA said...

If this corn pudding tastes the way it looks, then I'm IN.
The only dish I make using corn flour is a romanian dish called 'mamaliga' and it can be used with anything: cheese, soup,meat, etc..

Lyneen said...

You are soooo sweet.... Thanks for you OH SO KIND WORDS.