Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Christmas Tree...2012

 
     In keeping with my "keep it simple" outdoor theme this year, my tree topper took only a few minutes to make. My tree toppers seem to be what I am most known for, at least according to Pinterest...so, I will share the simple steps that I went through to make this one.
 
 
I started with a few "frosted" branches...

 
...and two sprigs of airy evergreen.

 
On top of the twigs and evergreen, I centered
this large pick that had a hint of red and a single pinecone.

 
I wired them all together
(it is so hard to see the twigs, but they are there).
 
 
     I wired the topper to the top of the tree and then fluffed it a bit to get the look I wanted and added a single red cardinal. What really makes this topper special is the bow "crown" under it. Because my tree has no real ornaments this year, I wanted to feature the plaid ribbon. I made four large bows and simply wired them one at a time to all four sides of the tree, fluffing the loops to make it look like one continuous bow. I think a tree should always have a front and back bow on the topper, it adds fullness. In this case, four bows make a statement.
 

     I bought the bird ornaments after Christmas at Cracker Barrel a couple of years ago. I loved the rustic look and the large size.

 
I found more red cardinals at the dollar store 2 for $1
 and they are scattered throughout the tree.

 
I placed red berries and frosted twigs all over the tree.
 

I found a tree skirt that pulls it all together.

 
I've just started wrapping a few packages in rustic kraft paper
with just a hint of red and more plaid in the bows.

 
     I love the look of the packages under the tree, of course so does my 1-year-old beagle. I'm not sure they are going to get to stay there this year. I think this is worse than having a toddler. At least my kids didn't try to eat the packages!

 
     My husband took this picture this morning in the early hours. I sort of like how the lights played some tricks with the photography...a little haunted looking!
 
     I am joining Tammigirl at If You Could See What I See for Show Me Your Tree. Please take a moment to visit her!

 

17 comments:

Barbara F. said...

Beautiful tree, Sue. Love your topper and the 4-bow crown. xo

Blondie's Journal said...

Sue...your tree is just stunning! I remember you giving a tutorial on making bows one year but I still can't get it right! It is really a coincidence that you posted about the cardinals you found at The Dollar Tree, Last night I spent about two hours looking on Etsy shops for cardinals to decorate a small white tree I have. I just want about 6 plain cardinals and nothing else on the tree. Needless to say, there were about 800 and nothing was right. These are perfect and I can get them 5 minutes away!!!! Thank you dear!

XO,
Jane

Mosaic Magpie said...

I love this tree! It is perfect for a Kentucky girl a cardinal is our state bird.
Deb

Linda said...

Your tree looks wonderful! I can't wait to get started on ours!! Have a great day!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

So pretty - great job on the topper! I really like the cardinals as the main ornaments. You did good! :D
I remember a kitty I had years ago that loved to steal bows off the packages and play with them.
Enjoy your evening.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Your tree looks great Sue! Love the cardinals sitting up in the topper:@)

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

And you talk about making something sound easy! I would have a pile of little tree bits and pieces of ribbon before I went out to Walmart to buy a tree topper! LOL

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

BTW...it looks fantastic....can I hire you??? :)

Designs By Pinky said...

Pretty tree! Love the natural look. I do toppers too, and usually use different sticks and sparkly branches and make 2 large bows for the front and back and it looks like one bow. XO, Pinky

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sue! Come do my tree! This is just gorgeous. You did a fabulous job on that topper, and I love the simplicity of the look. Great work, my friend! I can see why you are known for your tree!

I am swmaped with Christmas stuff going on, and I haven't gotten my tree up or the decorations ouside done. I had a little fall (It seems I do that once a year now!) when I tripped over something in the garage. Concrete met left hip which is black and blue. I'm okay, but I'm sore where I tried to catch myself. I would like to blame it on the progressive lenses which have been the culprit before, but I couldn't see where I was stepping because I was carrying a big box and HURRYING. So I'm moving slowly.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I am going to catch up on your last few posts. The good news is that I am pretty much through with shopping. YEA! I just need to go to St. A today and get the tree up.

XO,

Sheila

bj said...

It's just beautiful, Suz....love the plaid so much.
O and I have the same tree skirt. :))
See...we were made to be friends. :)

Jacqueline said...

Sue it is just stunning. I am so glad you shared how you did the topper. The 4 bows are amazing. I love your plaids on the packages too. I just love seeing everyone's decor. Yours is beautiful

dee dee said...

Sue,
how about I fly you out here to decorate my tree next year! You my dear are so gifted!
dee dee

Pat said...

It's beautiful Sue. I love how you did the picks with the bows!

koralee said...

Oh me oh my that tree topper is stunning...I love all the red on your tree..such a pretty theme you have going. Happy new week to you.

Traci said...

GORGEOUS!! I did the same thing with my bows this year but they don't look that good.

Gypsy Heart said...

Gorgeous!!!

xo
Pat