Tuesday, November 27, 2012

How About A Little "Whine" With Those Decorations


     I hope no one minds if I start this blog post with a little "whine". You know, as bloggers, most of us tend to give the impression that everything just goes along beautifully at our houses. We wake up perky, prepare perfect meals and between jobs, children and husbands, we find all the time we need to create, craft and decorate our homes. Well, my life is never like that...but, the past month has been the extreme opposite.

     It started with my food poisoning event (it was an event) on October 28th, which landed me in bed on both my birthday and Halloween. It was 5 days before I had the strength to even get dressed and in truth, many more days of trying to feel like I hadn't been hit by a truck. Coming on a few days later, my husband and I both caught colds that we simply could not shake. I was functioning, but didn't feel great...and then last Tuesday, my cold turned quickly into a sinus infection and bronchitis. I lost my voice which has not returned, ran a fever until yesterday and my cough is like a barking seal and can't be controlled. Thanksgiving was spent in bed. I did get up for a few hours Thanksgiving morning to make a pie and put together a meal because my son was coming...but, he didn't show up (that is another story). Needless to say, my husband had more than enough to eat...alone...on Thanksgiving.

     Bronchitis isn't something new to me. From the time I was a child, if I caught a cold in the fall...I ended up sick for weeks. The problem now is, I'm an adult and Christmas is coming! I have been able to get a few things done between naps the past two days, but I am really having fantasies of sitting on a beach in the sun, breathing in the salt air until I feel like myself again. Instead, I am drinking so much tea I could float, napping between cyber shopping and I must be feeling a little better because I'm getting mad! Merry, Merry and a Ho Ho Ho...

     So, I hope that all of you are feeling better than we are at my house. I hope you are perky, cooking up a storm, crafting, decorating and enjoying every minute of the holiday prep. I am getting there...but I apologize for the lack of visits to your blogs and comments on your posts. I will try to do better, now that I'm sitting up and can keep my eyes open!

     I have done some decorating the past couple of days. Luckily, I had already decided on my "theme" for this year and it was much more simple than some years. I decided I wanted something more natural, outdoorsy and winter looking than prior years. I went back to traditional red and green and there is not one silver, gold or colored ornament out in my house. In fact, much of what I have out will be able to stay out all winter.

 
     I always decorate the top of the china cabinet almost as if it were a mantel. The picture is one we have had for many years, the wooden trees, birdhouse and moose are part of my attempt at bringing a winter lodge feeling to the decorations this year.



 
     The library table behind the love seat has been draped with a vintage quilt that my husband's grandmother made. Twigs, pinecones, birds and reindeer continue bringing the outside into the house this year. My husband made the twig garland for me. We saw one very similiar in Michigan for a much higher price than I was willing to pay for some sticks!



     I am happy to say that I'm finally joining Marty again at A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday. Make sure you stop and say hello to her.  

15 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

First - Your Winter.Christmas decor is very pretty - You did good !! You deserve to whine! You have had more than your share of illnesses. I am also one to not paint a picture of the perfect life ! :-D It does not exist in my world.
Sure hope you get to feeling better real soon. I have had bronchitis before and it is not something to take lightly, as I am sure you know, it can go into pneumonia.

Traci said...

I know all about the whining! I've been doing it since July. HAHA! My whining is about work. Hope you're feeling better. All your decor is so pretty!

Red Couch Recipes said...

My life is never perfect. My son and I caught colds over the Thanksgiving weekend, and I hope it doesn't turn into something worse. Love all the holiday decorations. Mine are still in storage. Joni

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hello Sue,
I am so so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time, but you could never tell it from your decorating, cause it looks great!
My last month hasn't been a picnic in the park either!! lol
So know a lil of what you must be feeling............
What a great theme you picked for your decorating, see something comes from that downtime....good ideas...........lol
I know, you probably want to throw something at me right now....lol
Will be praying that soon you will be feeling great again hon, and if you have time pray the same for me!! lol
I am laughing, but I am serious!!
I will take all the prayers I can get!!
Loved that neat garland your hubby made for you too, bet he was trying to cheer you up.

P.S. Your blog title reminded me of My step sister....she used to say would you like some cheese with that whine.

Love and Blessings, Nellie

Unknown said...

I don't know what to say but Bless Your Heart and I'm sorry! And your decorations are gorgeous! :-)
Hope you get well very soon,
~Dorothy~

Barbara F. said...

Hi Sue, I am so sorry to hear about your illnesses. It is rough this time of year, and I think our immunity goes down too. So far your decor looks great and quite a bit accomplished. xo

xinex said...

Oh Sue, I am so sorry you had to go through all that but glad that you are feeling better. Your china top and other vignettes are beautifully done. I love the natural look. get some rest and don't get a relapse....Christine

Tammigirl said...

You sick = still more full of "Go" than me on a normal day.

Feel free to come by and join the Christmas Decor linky on my blog.

http://ifyoucouldseewhatisee.blogspot.com

It'll make you feel better about all you have accomplished.

Feel better soon. Have you tried rubbing Vicks on the bottom of your feet? (You have to wear socks over it, of course) It has worked for lots of us when we can't stop coughing.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sorry,y'all haven't been feeling well. I am doing a lot less this year. I had to drag all all the boxes to find what I wanted to use. Now I need to get rid of a bunch. Hope you feel better soon and just decorate as you can.

bj said...

O, gosh, Suz...I am so sorry this has been such a bad holiday time for you and yours. I am so busy packing and everything associated with moving, I have not been visiting as much....so i missed how sick you were. I sure hope you are feeling better by now.
Just take things as easy as you can and get as much rest as you can....that will help more than anything, along with your meds.
Go drink another cup of tea...:))
xo bj

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I am SO sorry you were sick for your birthday, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. Oh, Sue! And boy do I understand about colds and sinus infections. I was sick for three months with the one I had this summer, and I was sick on my birthday. I had out of town company coming for a little luncheon a friend prepared, and we had to postposne it for two weeks. I was still coughing and feeling like the dickens when the company came, but not cantagious. I just forced myself to get up and go. Are you sure you had food poisoning? There has been an horrific stomach virus that has knocked out two people I know. Either way, it's not fun. I'm so sorry you've had such a run of it, Sue.

We were exhausted on Thanksgiving (me because I'm still tired from all that is going on here and Mr. Magpie because he had been out of town on business and got in laaaaaaaate) so we opted out (in advance) of our plans and had a quiet time together. it works for me! Anyhow, we ate turkey burgers (LOL), and then we drove to St. Augustine to check on things there and ended up eating at a nearby restaurant because we were starving. So we ate TWICE if you call the turkey burger a meal. ;-) Ran into some friends there we hadn't seen in a bit which was nice. But a very uneventful Thanksgiving. Christmas is stacking up to be more active, and I am so thankful I finished most of the shopping already. I shop for about ten people (stockings, too), and then others. I am tuckered already, but we are going to eat out on Christmas this year. Everyone I know is tired. What does that say? I hope and pray you feel better soon.

XO,

Sheila

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sorry for the typos above. I am on an IPAD, and I have trouble seeing the type.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh so sorry you have not been feeling well. Hopefully you will be up and at it real soon.

I love your nature theme for your Christmas decor. Using the moose, all the stick, branches and the fabulous quilt, so pretty. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Gypsy Heart said...

So very sorry you've been so sick! It hasn't been all roses around here, that's for sure. You've done more than one would expect my friend.

xo
Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

So very sorry you've been so sick! It hasn't been all roses around here, that's for sure. You've done more than one would expect my friend.

xo
Pat